Tweak to title screen display

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
kay.py
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Since the title screen has been getting some tweaking in the alpha, I figure I may as well throw this in:

It is rather jarring the way the viewpoint jumps whenever the POV ship dies. How difficult would it be to implement a smooth pan over to the new viewpoint rather than the hard jump?

If the camera has to lock to a ship, maybe add a neutral, invisible, no-hitbox POV 'ship' with enough speed to 'pan' to any available target?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think, conceivably, you could fire a virtual missile to the location of the new ship, and set the POV to that, but I'm not sure if that would actually be an improvement or not.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Xephyr wrote:I think, conceivably, you could fire a virtual missile to the location of the new ship, and set the POV to that, but I'm not sure if that would actually be an improvement or not.
 …Dammit, Xephyr. Now I’m going to have to experiment with that. …Not that I’m known for intro screen shenanigans or poking at sysSetPOV or anything… <.< >.> <.<;

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

That's an efficient way to do it (Unless the missile jiggles too much in flight.) But how do we transfer the view from the virtual missile to the new ship? I imagine there'd be a small jump anyway.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Sorry for the super late reply, but it's possible to add something like an <EventHandler> with <OnDestroy>. I used a similar trick in CSC Luna to make a cinematic.

In the <OnDestroy> event, you create a ship that's invisible (and preferably allied to everything so nothing shoots at it) then send it to go to another ship. Then use plyChangeShip to that invisible ship.

Since this is the into screen, if the target ship gets destroyed the invisible ship can pick a new target. This can be done using objRegisterForEvents registering the target ship to the invisible ship's events and using <OnObjDestroyed> to pick a different target.

Finally, once the invisible ship is close to the target ship, say <5ls, change ships. This can be done by a recurring event that checks the distance between the target ship and current ship.

The only problem is I don't see how the intro screen works. How the player spectates ships is a mystery to me.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Actually, I completely forgot to reply to this back when I did my testing. As near as I can tell, gPlayer has to be defined for sysSetPOV to work, so changing the POV in such a fashion in the intro screen isn’t possible.

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You can mod the titlescreen?!
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

To an extent. Obviously, any ships or devices you add to the game via mods can show up in the intro screen, but you can’t add anything to the intro screen to make it playable. I’ve taken using it to run a few utility mods I’ve written, though.