Pub Rumors for the Outer Realm

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
erwgd
Miner
Miner

In the rarely encountered Commonwealth metropolises that you may find in the later systems, you're unlikely to hear anything useful or interesting in the pubs. There's just one rumor about Xenophobes in the code.
Here's some ideas for rumors that could be added:
  • Taikon Ventures: Somebody claims that once, they had a bunch of cadavers on sale! (Happened in one of my games. Taikon can sell illegal items.)
    Teraton Nest (Factory): A doctor was paid in crystals to treat a fabricator's temper. Using a remote machine, they dropped in some boxes of the fabricator's preferred food to calm it down.
    Ringers Collective: The bartender gives you an exotic drink made with a touch of Ringer spice.
    Black Market Shipyard: An arms dealer tells you that the shipyard, a while ago, spent its whole trading budget to buy off the equipment from a Rogue Fleet pilot's Centurion-X.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

erwgd wrote:In the rarely encountered Commonwealth metropolises that you may find in the later systems, you're unlikely to hear anything useful or interesting in the pubs. There's just one rumor about Xenophobes in the code.
Certainly. I can see players finding info on some stations useful, like knowing there's a Ventari settlement in the system, or hearing about a CSC. Here's a few I'd suggest:

Ventari Colony: "The Ventari recently set up in this system. Nobody likes having them around, so their massive fleet is constantly moving from system to system to force people to tolerate their presence."

Rogue Fleet Settlement: "The Fleet used to have a major installation around here, but they up and abandoned it after the first Point station got destroyed. The crew eventually turned to supporting piracy."

Commonwealth Star Carrier: "I hear there's one of Admiral Decker's carriers in the system. Glad we don't have to stave of the Ares on our own for the time being."

Teraton Lab: "Those Teraton freaks prey on the poor and desperate. A friend of mine took them up on one of their offers to serve as a test subject, and he never came back home."

Taikon Ventures: Somebody claims that once, they had a bunch of cadavers on sale! (Happened in one of my games. Taikon can sell illegal items.)
That's from a mod.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I wish rumors were revamped like this so that it makes the universe more "alive".
At least tell the player a lot of important info or maybe even give a lot of randomly generated sidequests from random people you meet at the bar.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:
erwgd wrote:
Taikon Ventures: Somebody claims that once, they had a bunch of cadavers on sale! (Happened in one of my games. Taikon can sell illegal items.)
That's from a mod.
No it's not, Taikon stations are capable of generating and selling illegal items.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

RPC wrote:I wish rumors were revamped like this so that it makes the universe more "alive".
At least tell the player a lot of important info or maybe even give a lot of randomly generated sidequests from random people you meet at the bar.
That's one of the things I like about Eternity Port. Visiting stations gives the player the chance participate in a story, even if the story is sometimes only a couple of minutes long.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Xephyr wrote:
JohnBWatson wrote:
erwgd wrote:
That's from a mod.
No it's not, Taikon stations are capable of generating and selling illegal items.
Ah, my bad, I hardly ever use those stations after the IM90 nerf. When was the Cadaver added to the game?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote: Ah, my bad, I hardly ever use those stations after the IM90 nerf. When was the Cadaver added to the game?
It's in the source as far back as I can go.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Xephyr wrote:
JohnBWatson wrote: Ah, my bad, I hardly ever use those stations after the IM90 nerf. When was the Cadaver added to the game?
It's in the source as far back as I can go.
Huh, the RNG hasn't given me any yet. Guess that's roguelikes for you.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I’d kinda like to see the rumors for various stations accessible by typGetData or even a variable (like rumOuterRealm or some such) instead of more or less written into the station itself. It would make it easier for modders to add to the lists.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

AssumedPseudonym wrote: I’d kinda like to see the rumors for various stations accessible by typGetData or even a variable (like rumOuterRealm or some such) instead of more or less written into the station itself. It would make it easier for modders to add to the lists.
Seconded.
giantcabbage
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

AssumedPseudonym wrote: I’d kinda like to see the rumors for various stations accessible by typGetData or even a variable (like rumOuterRealm or some such) instead of more or less written into the station itself. It would make it easier for modders to add to the lists.
Have you looked at this: Missions and Rumors

It uses language elements and events rather than type data, but the basic idea is that rumor text can also be stored in the objects (either space objects or missions) which cause the rumors rather than hard coded in the definition of the station where the player recieves the rumor.