Slow down time while in Use or Invoke Menu?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Just a suggestion: what if we slow down time while the Use/Invoke menus are up? When we're docked, we slow down time to 1/4 rate. What if we do the same during the in-play menus?

This might give people more time to think when choosing items.

What do you all think?
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I like the idea, personally.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I cannot think of anything wrong with that...

Although will that be a problem if mutable time flow for dockscreens gets added? (For example, normal time flow while docked so player can play an arcade-like minigame at 30 fps for some special mission.)
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I like that idea quite a bit. Makes sense for the item, invoke, and power menus.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think its something that the player should plan ahead for - but I agree that it might be too difficult, especially for players without extensive muscle memory for powers and items.

So yes, I support this, but it would be nice if it can be toggled in settings.xml.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Nice idea. I ever find a dilemma when I'm using an item when i'm doing a space combat. Sometimes I got a wrong items and waste it. Like I need to use a repair kits, but accidentally I use the gems of despair.
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

PM wrote:I cannot think of anything wrong with that...

Although will that be a problem if mutable time flow for dockscreens gets added? (For example, normal time flow while docked so player can play an arcade-like minigame at 30 fps for some special mission.)
Should be OK. We would still paint at 30 fps, and presumably update the minigame at 30 fps, but the rest of the system would only update at ~7 fps.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I like it. It wouod definitely improve playability for new players, or for rat packers like me. I find myself with like a dozen usables in my cargo all the time. :)

Btw, is the game slowed down/paused when i check my score or help menu ?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

digdug wrote:Btw, is the game slowed down/paused when i check my score or help menu ?
Yes, game is completely stopped during:

Score (F2)
Help (F1)
Galactic Map

During dock screens, it runs at one-quarter speed.

In the System Map, it runs at full speed.

I think it should run at quarter speed while any game-play menu is up in the HUD:

Use item
Invoke
Enable/Disable
Comms

And we should pause while the game menu is up (Esc key).
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yes to Invoke and Enable/Disable. These are examples where you already know what you are going to do and the slowing of time will allow you to hit the right button.

Not sure about the Use items and Comms. Part of the fun is, for example, getting ambushed by a Phobos in a nebula and having to scramble like crazy to get your autons, wingmen, etc to attack while dodging enemy fire, all while repairing armor, selecting weapons and trying not to die. Great for beginners to be able to slow time but possibly too easy once you have a bit of experience.

I agree with Xephyr. It would be nice if it could be toggled.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I like the idea!
And also agree with Xephyr, for experienced players it might become somewhat to easy.
:?: Perhaps implement it as an "easy mode" for beginners? That could be expanded upon to make the game more accessible for first time players, like maybe nerf enemies a little bit so they are easier to kill, change the inventories of stations to have more items or reduce the price of items, etc. etc. :?:
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Time shift and searching for an item is slower than pushing an easily accessible hotkey. Time shift is an alternative or workaround for lack of usable or reliable hotkeys. Time shift while player is helpless is not making the game easier for people, it is an anti-frustration feature or UI improvement.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.