Battle Arena Maximus Online

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It would be really awesome if after Part II, George and community start working on a PvP addition to the game, through our very own Battle Arena Maximus.

It would be really simple to create a battle in Trans, as the game is already object friendly. But instead of the CPU controlling the player, the movement instructions are sent over a network ie the internet, using the Multiverse.

We can set the minimum cutoff to be Champion of the Arena ie the player must have beat the Slicer. We can have an assortment of game modes like Duel, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag (more like destroying the enemy base) and a Battle Royale. Moreover, we can hold ladder tournaments of top players or of those who survive the meelee.

Another system is the ranking system. I'm an extremely competitive spirit, so don't mind me much :D . The number of wins/kills MUST be displayed xD and that should be integrated with Multiverse. Player database management is already taken care of with Multiverse, so keeping track of player scoring should be easy.

Also, we shouldn't do anything about a weaker player challenging a more powerful one. They asked for it ;)
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Maybe we can exchange data in packets that contain some vital info. We know that ships in Trans have a set number of facings. So, we can easily send the identity of the current facings over the network. As for the position of the ship, I have no idea. Moreover, I'm worried about lag between the player hitting the key and the ship firing.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Lag can be unavoidable when you have real-time updating on the map that is very busy.

However, this is Transcendence .. there isn't alot going on in the maps officially that would require a great deal of Data Packets.

If the Maps are limited to 3 players each at first : those three could run on together or apart, the biggest updating element would be missions ( making sure each player gets a shot ) .

Station respawns & commerce ......easy enough but the stations can't have a limit and the respawns have to take place before the player enters a system ( say, Player gets beyond STK before the stations below Charon respawn & into Heretic before anything in STK respawns )

Respawning a scripted system would be pointless because missions depend on various things :
However, if you are playing w/ two others and they take out Charon, the ICS or Helios before you get there - you might have to miss out on that.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Star Control 2 has a hotseat multiplayer, in which you can fight your friends by choosing any ship. It's fun and would be a great feature for a battle arena multiplayer Transcendence.