The only improvement for targeting (when you can target) I can think of is if the object is green yet angry, it should be targeted just like a red enemy. Otherwise, if I target anything, I expect weapons to shoot at it, just like in Endless Sky and older versions of Transcendence.
It would be nice if non-hostiles that get angry at you (enough to kill you) changed (blip) color from green to, say, orange or other not-quite red.
If friendlies are supposed to be locked out, then targeting could be tiered. Basic is no targeting, partial targeting targets only red, and complete targeting targets anyone.
However, being able to target friendlies makes them much easier to dock when there is interference from other dockable objects everywhere.
As for Black Market, access is not guaranteed for each game. Access to Black Market should not be relied on to gate QoL game features.
Another improvement is just make targeting builtin like autopilot, or at least have builtin equipment vary by adventure if the creator does not want automatic equipment. If I play EI500, I always start scum for the ROM. For other ships, I strive to get targeting quickly, and may restart if I fail to get it quickly enough. (This is another advantage Endless Sky has - targeting is basic functionality there, not an upgrade like it is here.)
george moromisato wrote:
1. Would it be OK if you could target neutrals but not friendlies? [I.e., target Salvagers, etc., but not Commonwealth.]
2. What if you could get something from the Black Market to allow targeting friendlies? [e.g., hacking the targeting system]
3. What if you could manually turn friendly-targeting on and off?
4. What if you couldn't target the ship you're escorting? [But could target any other friendly?]
1. No, because, sometimes, I feel like being a homicidal maniac, especially if I see a friendly ship nonchalantly dock a wreck before I get a chance to loot it. My typical response to any and every would-be looter is to kill it immediately, regardless of blip color or sovereign. Doubly so if I mod some items in and I want target practice at Starton Eridani. (I blow up Starton and its ships much when I build new weapons.)
2. Black Market should not be the only source for this.
3. You can already do this by not using the 'F' button or whatever targets friendlies.
4. No, because if the escorts are something like converted zoanthropes, and I tire of them, I want to target and kill them!
P.S. Not being able to target friendlies also means player cannot aim Omni/tracking weapons at dropped crates to set off crate bombs and/or remove unwanted items from the game.