Changing ships at shipyards

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That's possible but has the risk of running into a gimmick-spam strategy. It might still be a good idea to put some harder limits on shiptypes so that upgrading to a new ship is more meaningful (although maybe with options to get around that for folks who want to upgrade a basic ship instead?). Certainly this is something that can be tested. Particularly rare armor and device types could certainly benefit from ships built around them.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ronin is difficult as a playership. Because it's a grey circle with a black border it is hard to tell which way it is facing, especially in map view. Resulting in erratic course and steering. Not recommended.

There is merit to changing ships during the game.
The EI500's two-weapon limit is a big disadvantage. But the cargo space makes up for it.
Using a freighter's cargo space early to build credits and then changing to a more weapon-oriented ship later once decent high level weaponry can be afforded sounds like a great idea.

Ships: Centurion/X, Scorpion, T31, Molotok.

A lack of maneuverability/speed/agility in any large ship would be a big negative and require significant advantages to counteract it. Every battle becomes a do or die fight if the player can't get away.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I would not pilot the Ronin (as implemented in Playership Drones) because the Wolfen is better in nearly every way (now that ship mass is less critical), much like I would not pilot the Freyr or even Raijin if Wolfen is an option. Ronin is usable enough for me; I have no problem pointing it where I want to go, at least no more trouble than the square called EI500. Not saying others should not have trouble, just that I do not.
relanat wrote:The EI500's two-weapon limit is a big disadvantage. But the cargo space makes up for it.
Do not forget nine slots. Non-weapon slots are a big deal late in the game. Cargo space is good too, but that is not the only thing going for EI500.

Yes, T31 appears to be a good playership to offer if UAS ships are not designated bad guy ships. Before Eternity Port, I would assume UAS ships as bad guy ships much like Charon, Sung, and Ares.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

george moromisato wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:58 pm
This might also give us access to new (heavy) devices that cannot be mounted on gunships.
I really like this one. Giving large, slow capital ships some manner of advantage over smaller, faster gunships, particularly at extreme range, is essential.

As far as capship - based mechanics go, I'd like to be able to double tap 'a' for a more extreme autopilot effect. Useful for EI500s, vital for something like a Tripoli.
giantcabbage
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:41 pm
6. If you have wingmen (Volkov, etc.) you can either upgrade their ship (as above) or give your ship to them and trade in their ship. [Not sure the UI for this; maybe you just have to swap ships with them.]
There should also be a way to install new devices / armor on your wingmen's existing ships. I have an old mod UpgradeableWingmen which lets you give equipment to wingmen at appropriate stations (i.e. where the player can upgrade their equipment). If you like any of the features / UI, I can tidy it up and make a pull request...
  • You can only upgrade equipment - wingmen won't accept equipment which is a lower level than their current installed device
  • You don't get the old device back - mod assumes that the wingmen is selling the old equipment and using the money to pay for fuel / repairs etc.
  • Can only install one primary weapon which must NOT be ammo based
  • Can install one secondary weapon (wingmen will 'buy' ammo from appropriate stations)
  • Wingman bob can be rescued near the sisters in Eridani to test the interface
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Upgradable wingmen is a bit off topic, but I personally prefer that friendlies improve themselves without needing micromanagement. Having to micromanage wingmens' equipment slows things down and makes them feel less like other individuals.