AI gripe

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The AI just shoots at you even though it knows it will miss if you are just beside the path of the munition but not near it enough to risk getting hit. Shouldn't the AI correct its course to shoot at you if they continue to pursue you as so? Ideally they would jump out of the line of fire if a shot was coming towards them but my main gripe is that they are not getting *into* the line of fire not that they aren't bothering to dodge my bullets.
kaypy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

If we're griping about AI, what about the way that if you sit next to a station, they will circle around doing nothing while you blast away at them?

In the spirit of constructiveness, here is a proposed pseudoalgorithm:

Code: Select all

If target is near station
{
   If station is friendly
   {
        If station has enough firepower to handle it themselves
        {
              Stay outa the way
        }
        else
        {
              Slow down and try for an accurate shot from a safe angle
        }
   }
   else if station is scary
   {
        Stay at long range and try to wait the target out
   }
   else
   {
         Blast away and let the station take its chances
    }
}
I make no guarantee as to the implementability of this.... Oh, and there needs to be some sort of delayed response, so things dont turn around just coz a target flies *past* a station... not half demanding, am I 8-)
Icabod458
Miner
Miner

@kaypy

I think the "reason" that the player is not attacked while near a station is to prevent friendly fire from hitting the station. Any shot damages the station, whether it be from the player or "friendly", meaning station based enemy.

Prime example of this is the Ferians. When I find a colony, I tend to get close to the colony, then move away then close to draw the miners fire and allow them to destroy the colony for me. I also like to have used a particle reflect crystal when I am dealing with Sung fortresses when the wind slavers, steel slavers and Earth slvers come attacking and my shields reflect their particle and hits the fortress, it's fun to see just what it takes from me to destroy the fortress.

But I believe they do not attack because the possibility of friendly fire.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think most stations should have rapid fire very short range guns to keep the player from sitting on top of it (They should not fire if the player is out of range to avoid shooting down all the incoming fire.). First of all it would look cool (think antiaircraft gun tracers) and second it would make you think twice about getting in close. What kind of fortress only has four guns on it anyway?
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I really don't like how reds won't attack you if you are near a green station. It makes little sense
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

It makes sense if the station is a CW fortress mid game, but not a corporate enclave!

I have griped about the other behavior too. I definitely agree with the station guns idea. Its more an exploit than the starter of this thread.
kaypy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Icabod458 wrote: I think the "reason" that the player is not attacked while near a station is to prevent friendly fire from hitting the station. Any shot damages the station, whether it be from the player or "friendly", meaning station based enemy.
I was aware of that rationale, but it winds up just being a huge rort once it winds up in the hands of players.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

F50 wrote:It makes sense if the station is a CW fortress mid game, but not a corporate enclave!

I have griped about the other behavior too. I definitely agree with the station guns idea. Its more an exploit than the starter of this thread.
It's that they will fly right up and circle around while being chased without doing anything
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

good point