[1.2b3] Spacetime is borken

Bug reports for the different beta versions of transcendence.
kay.py
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

While looking for a Charon primary stronghold, I noticed that there is something very weird going on with the distance measurements.

One grid square on the map seems to be about 100ls horizontally, but something like 130ls vertically. If you are going for a perpective effect, shouldn't the grid be perspectived, too?

I was so distracted by all this that I ploughed straight through the base while trying to measure distances instead of paying attention to hostiles...

Hmm. Also looks like something isn't working with the base placement algorithm, or you need to double check what is and isn't marked as a planet...
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

o.o I also thought it was 100x100 ls. Nice catch.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
kay.py
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

When my usual search pattern* failed, I put a crate in the sun and targeted it for a distance readout. When circling the sun at a fixed distance resulted in a noticeable ellipsoid I got suspicious. Without the wacky base positioning, I would never have thought to be more precise...

* "fly out a box or so further yeah looks about right lets circle around thereish"
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Yes, you're right. I added a little fake perspective distortion to the map, but I didn't change the grid because it didn't look good.

The real solution is to do a proper perspective (in which the vertical lines of the grid converge towards the top). I'll do that in a future version.

Meanwhile, I did fix the bug with the Charon stronghold placement. Thanks for that report!
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The map really shouldn't have perspective since that distorts both distances and angles.
Literally is the new Figuratively
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think a perspective map would be cool, but unpractical. It'd be harder to read, and even harder to calculate any distance informations from.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.