[1.2 RC 2: Unresolved IM90 & Lamplighter Installation Issue

Bug reports for the different beta versions of transcendence.
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

...still persist. Taikon still can't install IM90, CSC Terra can't reinstall the Lamplighter....George please shed some light on this problem or issue. They say if symptoms persist, consult Dr. George. :D
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Sure sounds like a bug. I'll check it out when I get back (on vacation right now). Thank you!
kay.py
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

For the Taikon /IM90 issue, the behaviour doesn't match the comment here at about line 200 of RPGCode.xml

Code: Select all

;	If we don't have the technology, we cannot install
								;	(except for specific items that we know about)

(or (gr (itmGetLevel thisItem) (if (@ data 'maxTechLevel) (@ data 'maxTechLevel) 30))
										(and (@ data 'techCriteria)
											(not (itmMatches thisItem (@ data 'techCriteria)))
											)
										)
									(setq desc (cat (strCapitalize textWe) " do not have the technology to install " itemName " on " textYourShip "."))
Because this is the condition for denying installation, the initial OR actually means you need both the techlevel and the techcriteria.

Fixing this wont do anything for the Terra / Lamplighter mismatch unless they are also given techcriteria.
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

kay.py wrote: Fixing this wont do anything for the Terra / Lamplighter mismatch unless they are also given techcriteria.
Does this mean if the lamplighter got installed we have to keep it that way? :(
kay.py
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

At the moment things work as they work at the moment. In future versions anything could change.

But what I was saying is that despite the symptoms being the same, the underlying causes are different:

The Taikon IM90 isn't installed by Taikon because the code that says Taikon can install Taikon stuff is buggy. (Also Taikon can't install a bog standard Laser Cannon either for the same reason- instead of "Allow Taikon stuff ignoring tech level" the code is "Forbid non-Taikon stuff")

The Starfleet Lamplighter isn't installed by the Starfleet* because there isn't any code side representation of Starfleet stuff, so as a result there can't be anything to say Starfleet can install Starfleet stuff- its all just Generic Stuff to the code. If a "Starfleet" attribute was added to the Lamplighter, and the CSCs were given the "install Starfleet stuff" attribute, then... well right now it would mean that CSCs wouldn't be able to install anything at all, but if the bug from the previous paragraph was fixed first, and the attributes were added, then CSCs would be able to install the Lamplighter (and the usual stuff).

That got kinda convoluted- did any of it make any sense at all?

* Except in scripted special events
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Why, just give Taikon and CSCs the ability to install level X items. Taikon might needs to be fixed about the Forbid-non-Taikon code, but still I think both should be able to install level X items. For the CSCs, the Fleet is at least researching on manufacturing level X technologies (if you don't complete the Lamplighter missions.) So they should at least be able to install such items. For Taikon, IIRC the IM90 is level X, which means they have already finished researching and manufacturing level X weapons, so installing them shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

By that logic install restrictions on major stations don't really make sense at all.

EI and Kabuto have level X equipment on the market. Any corporate drydock should be able to install anything the CW and Near Stars corporations manufacture, otherwise there's no point in marketing it.
Literally is the new Figuratively
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

EI has level X weapons? :shock:

Anyway, it may be because the Drydocks are in the part with absolutely no way to get hold of a level VII, let alone X, items, so they doesn't have any need to set up facilities for installing those items.

On the other hand, the CSCs are the only place where the Fleet can refurbish a ship in the Outer Reaches, and since they're experimenting level X weapons, at least the CSC Terra should be able to install one.

The Taikon is also in the late-end game, and they're selling top-class inventories, perhaps one of the best buyable in human space. So shouldn't they be able to install them as well?
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Plasma cannon, the one that shoots three times per second, is made by EI. It is stronger in 1.2.

Previously, Taikon could install any Taikon brand item regardless of level, but were limited to maximum of level 9 for other (non-Taikon) items. I do not know when that broke.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

In the next release I've fixed them problem with the IM90. Taikon stations now install it properly.

But I'm not sure what to do in the general case. Only the Ringers can currently install level 10 devices (this has been true for a long time). I've just made a change to allow the Nares-Strong research station to install level 10 devices--this is appropriate, I think, for Heretic.

Post 1.2, I'll consider a few changes and I'm interested in everyone's opinions:

1. The CSC Terra currently installs the Lamplighter when you get it; it should be able to install the Lamplighter later; I think that should be fixed at minimum.
2. In the future there might be more Corporate-specific stations that can install high-level items (e.g., an EI-specific station).
3. There probably needs to be some more high-level Commonwealth/Corporate stations--maybe a high-level version of a Dry Dock or maybe a Fleet base of some sort. Those should probably be able to install level 10 items.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure how useful the install restrictions actually are. They lock out a handful of items until ringer shipyards, but that's the only place I can remember it coming up when not spawning heavy (and therefore high level) armor to test my armor installation code.
Literally is the new Figuratively
kay.py
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:3. There probably needs to be some more high-level Commonwealth/Corporate stations--maybe a high-level version of a Dry Dock or maybe a Fleet base of some sort. Those should probably be able to install level 10 items.
Upgrade Point Juno base?
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

kay.py wrote:
george moromisato wrote:3. There probably needs to be some more high-level Commonwealth/Corporate stations--maybe a high-level version of a Dry Dock or maybe a Fleet base of some sort. Those should probably be able to install level 10 items.
Upgrade Point Juno base?
i second the motion! :idea:
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote:But I'm not sure what to do in the general case. Only the Ringers can currently install level 10 devices (this has been true for a long time). I've just made a change to allow the Nares-Strong research station to install level 10 devices--this is appropriate, I think, for Heretic.
Yay! The Ringers have rubbed me the wrong way. It is about time someone other than them can install the best stuff.

EDIT - Point Juno should be able to install the Lamplighter. After all, the player gives the prototype to them.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

All of those sound like good ideas.

I'd vote in favor of NAMI and EI stations as being the corporations to get them, since they are the two biggest corporations... yet they have no stations in-game so far.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops