Hits registering on playership from wrong direction

Bug reports for the different beta versions of transcendence.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I tested this one on all three vanilla playerships after noticing something strange while doing graphics checks for a mod playership of mine. I checked the Osaka, too, for good measure. In each case, the only hits showing as coming from the right direction were from the front. Shots hitting the starboard side were registering as hitting the aft, shots hitting the aft registered as port, and shots hitting the port registered as starboard. Just to be sure, I ran the tests on the EI500, Sapphire, and Wolfen on straight-up vanilla, before checking the Osaka. I haven’t checked any of the CC ships as yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they showed the same behavior.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I can confirm this bug, I have noticed this since the beginning of 1.2 CC. Didn't try it with the new ships either
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I’ve isolated part of where the problem is coming from. In 1.2, armor is declared using:

Code: Select all

<Armor armorID="&itXMHArmor;" count="4"/>
 In 1.1, armor was declared using:

Code: Select all

<Armor>
  <ArmorSection start="315" span="90" armorID="&itXMHArmor;" areaSet="0,2" />
  <ArmorSection start="225" span="90" armorID="&itXMHArmor;" areaSet="3,4" />
  <ArmorSection start="45"  span="90" armorID="&itXMHArmor;" areaSet="7,13" />
  <ArmorSection start="135" span="90" armorID="&itXMHArmor;" areaSet="1,6" />
</Armor>
 Running a quick test using my mod’s playership and the 1.1 armor coding, hits on the playership were registering properly.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I'd fixed this in the upcoming 1.3 beta 2.

The problem is that the <Armor> elements in <ShipClass> and the <ArmorDisplay> elements in <PlayerSettings> need to match. That is they need to be in the EXACT SAME ORDER.

Unfortunately, when I introduced the short-hand <Armor count="..."/> I forgot to keep the order consistent. The short-hand syntax specifies an order starting with the front segment and moving counter-clockwise. For a 4-segment ship, the order is:

forward
port
aft
starboard

That means the elements in <ArmorDisplay> need to be listed in that order. [NOTE: That doesn't mean that you have to change the position of where they draw--the elements in the XML just need to be in that order.]

If you use the long-hand style, then you're fine as long as both (<Armor> and <ArmorDisplay>) are in the same order.

Note that the above bug definitely caused problems with vanilla: the armor display was not in the proper order and thus showed damage for the WRONG segment.