Missing Music in 1.7

Bug reports for the different beta versions of transcendence.
Post Reply
mistere
Miner
Miner
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:34 pm

I don't know exactly when but it seems that one of the updates in the last few months has broken the music. It's still physically there, the files play in a media player, the config/settings are set properly (music enabled and volume at max etc.), and the debug logs show no indication of such an error yet no music plays no matter how much I hit the music button or change the volume etc. Sound effects still work fine though. I know it's not the most recent one (1.7a2 with mouse control) as it changed some time before that but I thought maybe it was my settings or something for a while. But this happens even on a fresh install so I assume it must be from one of the last few updates. I don't always play with the music on, but I think I noticed at 1.7a1. I like the new features, but it really annoys me that the music is gone as I do actually like it.

Normally I'd go back to maybe 1.6.3 and try that, but unless I missed something it seems that some time ago George started putting the new (beta) versions up as Transcendence.zip rather than TranscendenceNext.zip.

So now not only do old version release pages/threads fail to point to their specific version, but they all point to 1.7a2. Go to the the 1.6.2 release page and you get the same download link to the latest beta. 11.5, 1.6.3, all point to 1.7a2 which means there ostensibly is no stable version available. So I can't even downgrade to test my hypothesis unless somebody knows where I can find some slightly older versions.

Is anyone else's music broken or is it just me?

User avatar
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:52 am
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way
Contact:

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:52 pm

I tested the download links, and I'm still getting the stable version in the usual place.

Check your appdata folder (type %appdata% into the start search menu) for a "kronosaur" folder. If there's one there, it's probably a caching issue, and deleting the folder will fix it.

For the soundtrack, it shows up as an extension when you're starting a new game in debug mode. Make sure the checkbox is checked, or delete the "StarsOfThePilgrim.tdb" file from your "Collections" folder to redownload it.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. " -Julius Caesar as written by William Shakespeare, a notorious permadeath player.

mistere
Miner
Miner
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:00 pm

Ok so I guess I must've mixed them up, and I do have a copy of 1.6.4. Still no music eeven with 1.6.4 though, including not just the soundtrack but the TranscendenceIntro.mp3 which comes with the game. Maybe that caused me to foolishly miss the version number and assume it was the same beta.

No 'kronoasur' folder exists on my system. Perhaps you're using Steam. Maybe there's another cache I'm unaware of so I'll do a disk cleanup and see if I can delete any cached/temporary files.

Thanks but the first thing I tried was deleting the songs and the StarsOfThePilgrim.tdb and redownloading the collection. Then a fresh install 'rinse and repeat'. Everything should be in order. The songs play in my media player etc. Even the debug log indicates it's working:
"07/09/2016 13:25:28 Chose: Collection\00820000\T1 - 04 - System - Katharine.mp3"

Even the stable version has no music, and it was out a few weeks before I even got this computer and installed Transcendence, (which the soundtrack worked on at the time). I was thinking I used the beta on this from the start, but perhaps I copied an even older version from my old laptop and it worked until I switched to the beta.

If that's the case it means there's some problem/incompatibility with the newer versions and I must choose between a fairly old version with music and one with game play features. Bummer. I think this must be the case as otherwise it's my computer and (other than a caching issue I've yet to find/correct), I can't imagine how my settings/system could change to produce such a result.

Post Reply