Tithe....

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Awesome thread! A few things in no particular order:

1. Though it is probably not apparent in-game (and I need to fix that), there is a difference between Domina and the Sisters of Domina. The Sisters of Domina worship Domina and have their own philosophy and morality. But that does not mean that Domina's philosophy is the same as the Sisters'.

2. Tithing is a monetary contribution to the Sisters and only the Sisters benefit (Domina does not need credits).

3. Offering is different: certain items have "psychoactive" properties that interact with consciousness (analogously to how metal is a conductor of electricity). When you offer those items to the Sisters, it enables you to have a closer connection with Domina (and Domina benefits because she gets a closer connection to you).

4. Of course, right now, the Sisters are the middle-women in this transaction and you have to go through them to "connect" with Domina; but in the future that will change (certainly post-Heretic and eventually in Human Space also).

5. To be honest, though I knew about the meaning of the word "tithe" I thought that (in modern usage, at least) the actual percentage was variable (the key to me was that it was some percentage of your net worth). Perhaps, at minimum, we could change the code to at least tell the player what 10% of his/her net worth is.
bluesaberist
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

...I recognized Delphi and EAGLE...

Ok, about this tithing thing. I'm from a christian church, and I can say that tithing does not necessarily mean giving a tenth of your worth anymore. At our church in particularly, it is just a matter of giving whatever you feel God wants you to give. At a lot of churches, (and I will say that I believe this is wrong) they basically say that X amount is needed this month, and the congregation as a whole has to give that much.

So, technically, tithing is a tenth, but practically, that is rather rare.

Ok, I really don't want to start a religion flame war, so this is mostly so you guys can get an "inside" understanding of tithing, because I know that a lot of you do not believe in a god.
If you drop a bar of soap on the ground, is it dirty?
If a person is legally blind, and can suddenly see, is he breaking the law?
If a friend says he's going outside to get some air, what was he breathing before?
-Brad Stein
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

At every church I've been at a tithe is 10%. Anything beyond that is an offering. Anything below it is "it's a lot better to give something than nothing, but you should try to give 10% unless doing so would start pressing your budget for necessities."

There's no enforcement of any sort or even any way of telling who's giving more or less than 10%, but 10% is the suggested target.