The three ships... easy mode?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
SmellyTerror
Anarchist
Anarchist

I've played with the three playable ships, and was just wondering: are they, in effect, difficulty levels? Or are they considered rough equivalents?
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I don't know what the official stand on this is, but I think they are pretty close, depending on your style of play.
I'm a hoarder, so I like the freighter.
Other people like the other ships, according to how they like to play.
The Sapphire Yacht seems the hardest for me, but other people think it is the best ship...
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

My original intent was that the Wolfen would be the easiest and the freighter would be the hardest (with the Sapphire in the middle).

The reality is not that simple. I think the Wolfen is the easiest in the early systems, but towards the end of the game, the freighter is easier (because it has more slots). The Sapphire tends to be caught in the middle, hard at the beginning and hard at the end.

I actually think the end result is OK. But I'm always interested in other opinions.
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

the wolfen was kinda fast... too fast... i don't think it would be easy. I think the wolfen is the hard one.
>.<
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

I recently tried the freighter and I find it the easiest. Starting with an omnidirectional laser really makes combat easier, and I find I still use it two systems past the arena (though I'm beginning to use longbows on some of the tougher nuts to crack). I love having more cargo hold area at the start than you can get in a Sapphire with the 1100 credit additional cargo hold. Only drawback is it's maneuverability and the inability to have a variety of weapons.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I like the wolfen, but I've never finished a game with it. It gets really tough once you get to the point where two weapons aren't really enough, and cargo space gets tight fast. But I love the dogfight capability.

I've played a few freighter games, and I would also say that it's the easiest over all. It seemed kind of cheap, actually, but that might be just me.

The sapphire probably hits a 'medium' difficulty level, which, in this case, means that it's hard all the way through.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
Enthropy
Anarchist
Anarchist

Due to my very weird playing style, I found Saphire the only playable ship. When it is equiped with Mark V Howitzer, MAG launcher with siege MAGs, something heavy hitting to deal with ugly blast immune freaks, big reactor, big shield and decent armor then it still has enough cargo capacity for loot and ammo. Wolfen is not able to carry so much junk. And the freighter is big enough, but it is very clumsy - try to hit wind slaver with freighter mounted howitzer. Its impossible.
section6
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

for some resons i get a 50-50 chance of getting a wepon on my frighter whn i get it placed in at a station, its omni directional

weird
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

On a freighter... I can survive with a omni-laser all the way up to battle arena... then I need turbo-laser or particle(omni). With Omni-particle... I can go all the way till I can get something else.
>.<
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

i use the sapphire because im a traditionalist. also, the freighter is to unweaidly and slow, and the wolfen goes through fuel like a corp cruiser on crack through missles. and it has a small cargo capasity
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The saphire in the beginning is really hard for me. But once i get a particle... I'm finished from here to St. ks.
>.<
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I usually use the Wolfen, but I haven't playeda proper (non-modded) game since 0.96a.
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I usually use the freighter. I occasionally use the other 2
>.<
Dosgamer3
Closed Account
Closed Account

I hate the Sapphire...too few device slots, way too slow.

The EI500 freighter is ok, if you can get an inertialess drive. Too few weapons, though, when you've got a gameful of Luminous!

My favorite ship is the Wolfen. Fast, tight turner, sufficent device slots. Just don't let your shields drop often, you can't use heavy armor. But I like that...guess I'm just a Wolfen guy.
The universe is illogical. Get over it.

-----------------------------------------

I cannot be held accountable for anything I say that offends you. I never intentionally offend anyone.
If I offended you, it was an accident and I am sorry.