I can't do missions with my ship?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

The guys at the Commonwealth Fortress won't give me any missions, it says my ship can't do missions. Is it because I chose the freighter, or am I not strong enough? I've got missions before with a Sapphire yacht that was much weaker than this freighter. I have 50 point particle-immune armor, a shield that maxes out at about 114, a bunch of Stilleto, Longbow, and fragmentation missiles and an omnidirectional turbolaser that's been enhanced by 25%. Oh yeah, I have that missile intercepting device (which is great because the only thing my armor is weak against is kinetic and blast). Nothing can even touch me until I'm a couple of systems past St. Katherine's star, and packs of Wind Slavers can't seem to get my shields below 90 or so.

So what can I do, if anything, for the military to think I can do missions? Am I going to have to take out my beloved omnidirectional turbolaser and put something with more punch on? It's more than enough for most things, and the few it has troubles with (Heliotrope Destroyers, mostly) can be killed easily enough with missiles.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

The message that the fortress gives you is too vague.

I think the problem is that you need a visual enhancement ROM.
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

george moromisato wrote:The message that the fortress gives you is too vague.

I think the problem is that you need a visual enhancement ROM.
I wondered if that was it, because in most games I get one right away, but in this one I've had all kinds of good luck, but no visual enhancement. Guess I'll keep looking.
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a visual enhancement ROM? I've been looking all weekend and still haven't found one. It's crazy, I have over 200,000 credits and even some military-level upgrades from the black market shipyard, but I can't get a cheap visual upgrade.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Well, they are more likely to appear in earlier systems, but if you've already cleaned them out, then I don't know.

They are likely to appear in Anarchist stations (they usually have a lot of ROMs).

It's a long-shot, but you might also try tracking down and killing some Salvagers--they might have some loot.

Any other ideas out there?
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

george moromisato wrote:Well, they are more likely to appear in earlier systems, but if you've already cleaned them out, then I don't know.

They are likely to appear in Anarchist stations (they usually have a lot of ROMs).

It's a long-shot, but you might also try tracking down and killing some Salvagers--they might have some loot.

Ugh, looks like I have a lot of backtracking to do, through a couple of hairy systems (I'll have to pass through Sanctuary system, which has a very nasty group of Earth Slavers waiting for me next to the stargate). I'll give it a shot, though.

Since this upgrade is needed for a lot of the content, could you please make it a little more reliably available? I'd make it so it's likely to show up on military vessels or weapons merchants.
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It would probably make more sense for it to show up as a very common store item later in the game (Post StK I'd say would be fine) to make sure you can get this fairly important item at some point in the game. Would it be possible later in the development to have varying levels of visual enhancements? Such as Visual Enhancement 1.0 only shows targeted ships/ect and mission objectives. Visual Enhancement 2.0 adds only friendlies and neutrals. VE 3.0 adds enemies/unknowns VE 4.0 adds nearby planets and stars and finally VE 5.0 adds a visual damage bar for enemies on the screen.
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

SparcMan wrote:It would probably make more sense for it to show up as a very common store item later in the game (Post StK I'd say would be fine) to make sure you can get this fairly important item at some point in the game. Would it be possible later in the development to have varying levels of visual enhancements? Such as Visual Enhancement 1.0 only shows targeted ships/ect and mission objectives. Visual Enhancement 2.0 adds only friendlies and neutrals. VE 3.0 adds enemies/unknowns VE 4.0 adds nearby planets and stars and finally VE 5.0 adds a visual damage bar for enemies on the screen.
I'd like it if it didn't indicate dead ships. In some systems, there are hundreds of wrecks, like when a station is right next to a stargate that pirates are always entering through, or places where I spent a long time wearing down a Sung Fortress that is only 1 or 2 screens from a station I keep returning to when things get out of hand. In those systems it's like the edge of the screen is bordered in red and it's hard to read the text on the important indicators.

BTW, I finally found one - in Eridani. Yep, I got all the way back there to the Commonwealth Station and one was in the inventory there...when I saw it I remembered seeing it at the very beginning of the game (it was labelled 'V y ger', nice Star Trek reference) before I could afford the 600 credits. I was returning with a quarter million, heh.

Now I have access to military grade weapons, but the one I ended up sticking with wasn't military restricted, I just found it for sale in a military armory - the omnidirectional particle cannon. I love omnis, I also bought the star katana weapon, and it does good damage when I can hit with it, but it drains a lot of energy and the range is so long I'm constantly getting "Watch your targets!" - so I uninstalled and sold it. I do like those lucifer missiles...
Czert
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:Well, they are more likely to appear in earlier systems, but if you've already cleaned them out, then I don't know.

Mayby introducing "mail"-ordering in late-game versions ? :roll:
My English, may be poor, but better than yours Czechs.

Do you chalenge me ? But be nice :-)) http://czert1938.mybrute.com
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

[quote="Czert?]Mayby introducing "mail"-ordering in late-game versions ? :roll:[/quote]

Oh well--there goes one of my surprises for the next version!
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

This game hates me when it comes to ROMs. I started another game, this time with a Wolfen, and I found the visual upgrade pretty early on, but I have not found a single targetting ROM in the entire game, and I have been in every system and have checked every station from Eridani to Sanctuary (I used a gem to get back to the beginning and work my way forward again).
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I haven't tried it yet, but I think the newest version now allows you to order one from the trading post around mid-to-late game.