Perma-death or Rez?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

When I make an honest attempt at a playthrough, I play hardcore. Death is death. My most recent attempt ended so abruptly I didn't even see it. I had a +150% Lazarus shield and 4 Hexacarbide segs when a Phobos blasted me to pieces. As soon as I saw the blue stream of death my fingers jumped for the "u" + "J" (jumpdrive) but I was already dead.

I felt this was a fitting end to a mostly succesful run in which I was nearly untouchable up to that point. Occasionally I would rez that death feeling it was a little cheap but decided not to as an homage to the vastly superior Ares dreadnought.

How do you play? Perma-death or Rez?
Obviously, when testing mods we all use debug ships so this is just for serious playthrough attempts.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Curudan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Prophet wrote:How do you play? Perma-death or Rez?
A mixture of both, actually. Before starting a game, I'll decide whether I want to play as resurrecting of not. The two successful games I've done in RC2 were both with resurrecting, but I won two no-rez challenges in .99. I'm trying to get a feel for 1.0 before I do a no-rez.

I'll always use insurance in a no-rez challenge, though. It can be very frustrating when the work of several days ends in a big puff of gas and debris.

Though, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that! :o
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

No insurance, no res for real playthroughs... shameless resurrecting in bug/balance testing playthroughs though (for generally obvious reasons)
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

When I first started I was resurrecting constantly, even to the extent that I would save before testing a barrel and self destruct if I didn't like its contents. :P

Now I've started playing "hardcore" with no resurrects. Although I will use insurance if I get that far into the game. I figure insurance gives you maybe 3-4 chances if you're willing to pay for it. Won't help you against pteravores at the moment since they'll resurrect with you, which is highly annoying, so I stay far away from pteravores unless I'm hiding behind something nearby that they can crash into.

Part of my hardcore play-through incentive was the custom playerships. I want to see how far I can get in each ship. So far I've made it to Heretic and stopped at the point where I'm blasting endless sentinels in both the Starlight and the Stalwart without dying, while playing the Molotok has resulted in my dying twice in the arena and once to a Charon frigate. And you thought it was overpowered. I haven't even made it to St. Katherine's yet!
Last Cause Of Death: Destroyed by Karl Svalbard's last Lucifer missile, right after I blew him up. And the crowd cheers.
Wurmish
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I admit I still sometimes save and try all my unknowns to find out what they are, then SD and remember what's what.

Whenever I try a no-rez right now... it's fairly difficult since I've mostly played with rez. It's a hard adjustment for my noobish skills :o
My first mod, mostly done, still balance testing.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=789
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Aeonic wrote:
Part of my hardcore play-through incentive was the custom playerships. I want to see how far I can get in each ship. So far I've made it to Heretic and stopped at the point where I'm blasting endless sentinels in both the Starlight and the Stalwart without dying, while playing the Molotok has resulted in my dying twice in the arena and once to a Charon frigate. And you thought it was overpowered. I haven't even made it to St. Katherine's yet!
The Stalwart is what i've been using recently.....it's really fun! :twisted:

And I don't usually ressurect on serious playthroughs (although I will occaisionally), but I DO use insurance.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I've only started with permadeath playthroughs a little while ago, but I do find it to be much more exhilarating when you have near-death experiences. And you do have to take some enemies a little more seriously (especially equipment damaging ones, and barbarries.), as well as living with the consequences when that full set of Duralloy armor that you somehow found in system 2 gets destroyed by acid from a floating cargo container.
Last Cause Of Death: Destroyed by Karl Svalbard's last Lucifer missile, right after I blew him up. And the crowd cheers.
Psycholis
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

i use a very underhanded method of no-rez which is really not no-rez at all.. i make a separate folder for my .sav file and update it constantly. if something bad happens, i reload a previous save.. none of the ressurect penalties.. hehehe.. i did make it to heretic with no reloads though but kept dying to pteravores.
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I do that sometimes when I'm horribly curious to try something that I know will probably kill me but I don't want to ruin my game. So I backup my game and do it anyway.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

No res, but I use as much insurance as possible.
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Yeah. I just got blown up in the arena for the third game in a row. Anyone who says MAGs suck hasn't experienced a bunch of them blowing up in their face with lots of fragments. No escape! Fortunately this time I had purchased some insurance. Now I've actually made it to St. Katherine's. Yay!

Incidentally, I think I paid more for insurance than I won in the arena.
doctorfrog
Anarchist
Anarchist

Before I played Transcendence, I played Nethack (badly). So yes, I can't resurrect without a little twinge of guilt. It's permadeath, or nuthin' for me!

Anyone else here play roguelikes?