weapons - St. Kitts

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Diehard
Anarchist
Anarchist

A newbie question about weapons...

I've just surived the madness of Charon and am enjoying the relative safety of St. Katherines. Up to this point, I've have very few options in terms of weapons... lots of level I-III lasers and kinetic weapons. The weapons I actually use were both found in wrecks (flenser and dual turbolaser) or started on my ship (NAMI).

Now, the situation is very different. Multiple arms dealers in St. K and the next system has a ridiculous number of options (friendly fortress, bushido merchant, black market station, arms dealer).

I have the military ID, black market ID and around 200000 credits to spend on weapons. I've already upgraded to a 150NX reactor, mammoth shield, and gosuku (sp?) armor. The better weapons available appear to be:

Dual Particle Beams
Dual Flenser Cannons
Akan 30 (lots of ammo available)
Akan 600 (lots of ammo available)
Shuriken Blaster
Tev9 (already picked 2 up from wrecks)
Nandao Bolt Cannon (some ammo available)
Tritium Cannon
Thermo Cannon (little ammo available)
Omni Thermo Cannon (little ammo available)
Katana Star Cannon

Any advice on which of these will give the best bang for the buck? In particular, I'd prefer weapons that won't quickly become obsolete. I'll probably pick up 2 to replace the flenser and dual turbo, and I have a weapon enhancement ROM I can use on my primary weapon.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

being an omni addict and having a deep mistrust of anything that fires blue stuff, I'd go for akan 600
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

evilbob wrote:being an omni addict and having a deep mistrust of anything that fires blue stuff, I'd go for akan 600
I guess you won't like my Blueblasters then :)

I'm going along with what PMN said, that seems right.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Forget the dual particle and flenser.

The shuriken is getting outdated at St. K's, let alone past it. It deals barely any particle damage, a max of 8 per shot, I believe.

The Hanzo does way more particle, and only fires slightly slower. You can barely fire it with your current reactor, depending on your engine and shield.

If you really want particle, I'd suggest the Nandao, although it's really comparable to the Hanzo, except in power consumption, because the Nandao doesn't use much at all. You'll need ammo, but black markets and Earth Slavers should keep you supplied. It does a little more that twice the hanzo's particle, at about half the fire rate of the hanzo.

But...
A tritium cannon will serve you well until much later, as it does thermo damage (4-48), which few things resists. It also requires no ammunition, unlike the thermo cannon. I'd go with this.

Thermo cannons are sweet, but there is almost no ammo anywhere for them.

THe Katana is special because it fires through enemy ships. Sometimes. It also does Ion damage, although not very much.

Hope this helps you decide. [/i]
Diehard
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying both the Omni Akan and the Tritium Cannon. I slapped the weapon enhancement ROM on the Tritium Cannon, as I tend to use it by default unless I'm fighting quick enemies (e.g. Wind Slavers).

Next system has 2 Sung Fortresses and a Sung Citadel. Looks like a good workout for my new weapons...
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Keep an eye open for Longzhu Spheres when trading with stations, pick up as many as you can get your hands on. Get them whenever you can and hang on to them.
Ringers, Teratons, Thor's, etc.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

The lack of regular (non-alien, non-military) ammo should become less of a problem now that we have the trading posts.
Diehard
Anarchist
Anarchist

Sung Citadel coughed up a half dozen Longzhu spheres, which was nice.

System actually turned into Charon II - 50+ dead Confed warships and hundreds of Dwarg Master / Zoanthrope fleets. I've learned to hate that tracking EMP blaster thing the Dwargs have. Also in system were:

Sung Citadel
3 Sung Fortresses
4 Dwarg Colonies
4 Marauder Compounds
2 Ferian Colonies
Urak Fortress
Heliotrope Colony
Penitent Shrine

The battle took hours to fight, and to salvage all the goodies it will take many more hours. I've only nabbed the choice bits so far (dual tev9, worldship armor, orthosteel armor, invincible shield, a horde of level IX military missiles).

I wish I could find the mule autons I read about on this site. It's slow going with a Wolfen.
Atheist_Chuck
Anarchist
Anarchist

Haha. I've learned to love the Dwarg Cydnocist gun. In combination with my omni ion blaster. >:D

no ship armor will stand in the way of the omni ion!
Wolfen+Iocrym=Iocrym wreck =D
Diehard
Anarchist
Anarchist

Atheist_Chuck wrote:no ship armor will stand in the way of the omni ion!
I just picked up my own omni ion blaster... but I combo it with the infamous base-wrecker / hull-cracker known as the fusionfire howitzer. Damn, that bad boy is a heavy hitter.

Still have the trusty old NAMI - the guided missiles seem to do the trick and lots of ammo available off wrecks.