UIOs: Unidentified Installed Objects

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Tachyonfang
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

So I've got several items installed on my ship, none of which seem to have had any effect, and consequently they remain unidentified. Is there any way to identify them?
On another note, I love the names for the unidentified objects, especially the item labeled "Gigaton Labs". Ironically enough, I have found 9 of them. I'm assuming they are all actually the same item, but like I said, when I installed one of them, it had no effect and remains unidentified
Anyway, anyone know how to get an item like this identified? Thanks for the help!

--Tachyonfang
--Tachyonfang
Front Desk Clerk and Head of Technical Support at The Alcazar Hotel, Freelance Genius (IQ 163), and Chief Orchestrator of Various Plots For Universal Domination
"I don't get it-why can't I just shoot them? I mean, after all, they ARE the evil dudes shooting at us!"
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

The names on them are randomly generated. To get the real name and find out what it does, you need to make it have an effect. For example, it you have a laser installed and install a particle accelerator which is unidentified, it will still be unidentified as it affects something you don't have installed. There used to be a ROM that identified most of them, but I haven't seen it since before 0.99. If you really want to know what it is, install a weapon from as many types as you can, and they usually will identify.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Chase
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

He it is a weapon, you have to fire it.
If it is a device them install it and have a number of weapons to fire with.
Faaz los frul, moro los mafaeraak. Chicks osgor skein. c:
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The UIO's have been really annyoing since about version 1.01. Rowena's Weaponry used to identify stuff, but I don't think it works nowadays.

So yeah, its just random luck - the worst part is, a UIO can often cost 11K credits, but once Identified it becomes a device only worth 800 credits. (True story. :( )
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Actually it happens where the items have massive buy back depreciation. In five seconds it can lose 10500 credits of value; just think, in ten seconds. At that rate, you lose over 600,000 credits every minute.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Drako Slyith wrote:Actually it happens where the items have massive buy back depreciation. In five seconds it can lose 10500 credits of value; just think, in ten seconds. At that rate, you lose over 600,000 credits every minute.
Just like the say in real life - you buy a car, or a brand new TV or something and the second it comes home, it's worth half as much or less.

Still, I'd like to see some kind of ROM be implemented that could reveal hidden items...its something small but would be nice to have.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Still, cars don't get -60x value every minute. If they did, you could buy a car and get $1000000 in the same deal. You would have to pay the person that buys your car.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

There's some tips to identifying unknown items on the wiki found here.

But yes, If you have a canon accelerator installed but a laser weapon, it will not be identified.
The three key pieces of info you need are the device level, weight and power use. (you need to install it to see power use)

Also, stop in at any Makayev, Bushido and Rasiermesser stations to see if they're selling devices. You can ALMOST guess exactly what those ones are.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Tachyonfang
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Chase wrote:He it is a weapon, you have to fire it.
If it is a device them install it and have a number of weapons to fire with.
About unidentified installed weapons-what about unidentified launchers? You can't fire them without ammo and I don't even know what ammo to look for!
It's a lvl X launcher (or at least, it's lvl X and it uses the launcher icon-I suppose I have no way of being certain that it actually is a launcher)

Any ideas?

--Tachyonfang
--Tachyonfang
Front Desk Clerk and Head of Technical Support at The Alcazar Hotel, Freelance Genius (IQ 163), and Chief Orchestrator of Various Plots For Universal Domination
"I don't get it-why can't I just shoot them? I mean, after all, they ARE the evil dudes shooting at us!"
blizgerg
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Tachyonfang wrote:About unidentified installed weapons-what about unidentified launchers? You can't fire them without ammo and I don't even know what ammo to look for!
It's a lvl X launcher (or at least, it's lvl X and it uses the launcher icon-I suppose I have no way of being certain that it actually is a launcher)

Any ideas?
Probably the Kytryn launcher. The ammo is extremely rare and difficult to find. The only way I know of to get a sufficient supply is to use the Teraton fabricators. I've never use it.
Silly on #transcendence
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

It sells for a respectable profit however.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

blizgerg wrote:
Tachyonfang wrote:About unidentified installed weapons-what about unidentified launchers? You can't fire them without ammo and I don't even know what ammo to look for!

Any ideas?
Probably the Kytryn launcher. The ammo is extremely rare and difficult to find. The only way I know of to get a sufficient supply is to use the Teraton fabricators. I've never use it.
Yup, blizgerg's got it - according to the wiki the Kytryn is the ONLY level X launcher to be found.