A few questions regarding Friendly Fire...

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Tachyonfang
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Is there a way to eliminate friendly fire, and insure that you do not accidentally blow up friendly ships and stations? Even if it is a mod, is there a mod that can do it?
Furthermore, why is it that the Longreach Autocannon seems to have a tendency to pick off nearby friendly ships?
And why is it that the Black Market's Bounty Hunters never register as Enemies, always as Friendlies, even when they are in the process of shooting at you?

--Tachyonfang
--Tachyonfang
Front Desk Clerk and Head of Technical Support at The Alcazar Hotel, Freelance Genius (IQ 163), and Chief Orchestrator of Various Plots For Universal Domination
"I don't get it-why can't I just shoot them? I mean, after all, they ARE the evil dudes shooting at us!"
blizgerg
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Friendly fire is part of the game. I think if it could be modded out, it'd be a complete rewrite type mod.

I always turn off the auto turrets and such when I get close to friendly stations if I use it and tell autons and wingmen to wait at a distance. Otherwise they will hit friendlies. Not maybe, it is a certainty. And you will be blamed for it.

OFC, my opinion of wingmen and autons is for them to either DIE DIE DIE ****** ****** DIE! or GET THE **** OUT FROM IN FRONT OF ME! #$%#&$%@#%!!!11one

And as such I usually immediately tell them to wait and leave them forever. I also tend to stay away from the auto turrets because they indiscriminately hit friendlies.
Silly on #transcendence
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

The reason Black Market ships are never enemies is because they are neutral to you, but they are bounty hunters. Their sovereign is Black Markek, so if they were to be enemies the entire black market would be enemies, and they wouldn't let you pay them back and call off the bounty hunters.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Drako Slyith wrote:The reason Black Market ships are never enemies is because they are neutral to you, but they are bounty hunters. Their sovereign is Black Markek, so if they were to be enemies the entire black market would be enemies, and they wouldn't let you pay them back and call off the bounty hunters.
^^ Another reason we need to have neutral-coloured blips on the map.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Its impossible to have perfect no-friendly fire, as that would require all friendlies and the player in the same faction. Which would consequently break parts of the game.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

It would be very funny though if the player got a mission, then when the game orders the player to kill say an Ares Commune, the entire system comes to help :D
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Wolfy wrote:Its impossible to have perfect no-friendly fire, as that would require all friendlies and the player in the same faction. Which would consequently break parts of the game.
TBH I like friendly fire -- it makes the game seem a bit more realistic. For instance, it would make no sense in the real world if I shot a "friend" and he didn't die, simply because of his relationship to me. The same thing happens in space -- just because you 'accidentally' shot a friendly ship doesn't mean your uber-charged plasma bolt will just suddenly vanish.

I also like friendly fire because it gives the option of becoming an evil character, by deliberately destroying a "friend" (even thought that does come with some negative side effects occaisonally).

The worst part is when the game accidentally shoots the friendly, for instance, by firing the autocannon at an enemy -- but a friendly gets in the way. If you physically had control of the gun that wouldn't happen -- on the other hand, because we are dealing with a 2D field of view, it's not like the bullets can simply go over the top of the friendly and still hit the enemy, because everything is (more or less) on the same plane.