What's In Your Vessel?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

When starting a new game, what are the first items you try to get installed on your ship, pre-St. K?

Normally, well, most always I choose the Freighter. It comes with an omni laser cannon so that part of the hunt is already done. So, the very first thing I try to buy is the laser collimator to enhance the cannon 75%. If I find a weapon enhancer ROM I'll use it but I generally like trying to save it for the omni Turbolaser, which is the next weapon I'll try to get unless an omni particle cannon can be found. Yeah, I'm omni! :P

Then I go for shields. Most often, a Class II can be found in loot (usually in the first system) and I'll have it installed and sell that Class I ASAP. Then I aim for the 50MW reactor so to gear up for my pref shield, the Class III. I've taken the Class III all the way to St. K's many times before upgrading. Will also use a shield enhancer ROM as well but again, I try to save it for a better shield (usually a level 6). That's hard to do without Rowena.

Armor in the early game is used by chance from loot. I'll rarely buy any armor but instead, will install any better armor from loot-even if it's already damaged, it can be repaired cheaper than buying new. So generally I'll end up having a mix-matched set of armor installed until a decent set of a matching 4 can be found. And I won't use any armor enhancements until I find a good matching set of armor. Good places to find better armor are the arena and Charon and independant armor dealers.

The secondary weapon is usually the NAMI, but rarely will I buy one as they can often be found in tact, in loot. And missiles are bountiful in Charon, so there's plenty to go around.

Usually by the time I jump to Rigel and enter the arena for a few bouts, I'm able to afford the 100 MW reactor-which really eases the tension off from the Class III shield and Turbolaser power drain on the 50.

The Freighter being the slowest playership, it needs a boost so a thruster is always installed if one can be found. It'll get upgraded along the way.

If a patcher arm can be found I'll snag it until I find the spider (which is rare but possible pre-St K), and will usually remain installed for the rest of the game. I think it's the only pre-St. K item that'll remain installed, as everything else will get upgraded along the way.

So on average, by the time I reach St. K's my Freighter will be rigged with a Turbolaser, NAMI, Class III shield, any armor averaging 45+ HP, 100 MW reactor, thruster and patcher/spider.

How do you usually rig your ship early in the game?
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

can't remember much, but I usually use the freighter, with omni-laser
shields, ummm... I think its usually an s100/ s500 (Not too sure) of failing that, a class III. armour is usually some form of plasteel, peferably advanced/ heavy
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

When a new version comes out, I play several games with each of the three ships. I don't ressurect, so I've only beaten the game a few times. Beat 0.97a twice, both of those with the freighter. I seem to do better with the freighter than the other ships. Sapphire Yacht is the hardest for me.

Afterwards, I always play with a modded ship:
manufacturer="Black Market"
type="Smuggler"
mass="200"
thrust="300"
reactorPower="250"
fuelCapacity="40000"
cargoSpace="125"
maxCargoSpace="175"
maneuver="5"
maxSpeed="19"
maxArmor="20000"
maxDevices="8"
maxWeapons="3"
4 Light Titanium Plate armors.
Start with a Smuggler's Hold installed, nothing else; and a Black Market ID.
Class I shield and some random illegal goodies (around 3k to 5k credits worth) in hold.
You have to use whatever weapons, armor, etc. you can buy at Starton Eridani after selling illegals.

Credits are almost never a problem for me. I thoroughly clear every system, buy/sell illegals, do the Ice Farm to Resteraunt routes, and trade with tinkers. I will backtrack systems to do these, all the way to Eridani if needed.

Later systems, up to St. K's:
Weapons: Best Omni I can get, I usually try to switch out of lasers as soon after St. K's as possible, but up until then, an omni turbolaser. Base cracker of some type; I prefer howitzers, but the Shtorm Repeater does good too. W/ 3 weapon slots, I always get a MAG Launcher ASAP. I prefer MAGs to missiles.

Shields: Class III does fine, though I will always buy an s100, or better yet, s500 if I come across one. I also really like the Solon shield early on.

Armor: I scrounge for it, Dwarg Chiton, Light Plasteel, or that range early on. By St.K's I want to have Light Blast Plate, which I usually am able to scrounge.

Misc.: I go for 50MW reactor right away, 100MW by (or at) Rigel. Patch arm/spider ASAP, though I don't usually find them before St. K's. Thruster upgrades whenever possible/convenient, ICX (rarely find one by St. K's).

Reactor, Shield, Omni Weapon, Base Cracker, Mag Launcher, Patcher, Thruster, ICX
Those are the eight device types I use, upgrading as I can. I never use the CPU.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I generally just cruise through until St. K's.

I don't buy much except for a weapon, I usually end up with a good random loot class II or III by Rigel (if not I buy a class II) and I ride that until St. K's. I also like the Solon, and will take it over anything else (within reason) unless I found an x-ray or omni turbo.

For the weapon, I take the first good thing I can find. If I'm a freighter I like slam cannons, or a heavy recoilless in a pinch. I keep the omni laser around for hornets and their little friends.

If I'm in a Wolfen I ditch the lasers for the best weapon in Eridani, generally a recoilless or something.

In a Sapphire I keep the recoilless until I get a bigger one or until it stops working.

I take literally whatever armor I find that is better than my current. I don't worry about matching them. I don't buy armor before St K's unless one of my plates gets totaled and I don't have any barrels or if it's cheaper to get a new plate.

So once I get to St K's (plasteel, Class II / III, at least a Partisan or equivalent) I use my mountain of credits and buy a decent shield, MAGs if I haven't got one, and an armor that complement's my shields weakness. I grab an ICX and CPU (if I want one) at the first armored CW station.

If you can't tell alredy, I like howitzers and big, slow guns. Not the Fusionfire, though, it's too easy to shoot down the projectile. If I want thermo I go tritium cannon.
Boris the Cat
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

No matter how I play the game, I always end up with:

Too much crap :lol: No, seriously, I sometimes wish I could install more than one cargo-hold expansion, because I always run out of room.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

No matter how I play the game, I always end up with:

Too much crap. No, seriously, I sometimes wish I could install more than one cargo-hold expansion, because I always run out of room.
I'm a complete packrat. I keep everything. Sometimes organized into little piles. Alphabetically.

Usually I just end up with the too-much-loot problem (Freighter + Mules help a lot), which is less of a problem than the no-room-for-loot I get in Nethack and similar by packing for every contingency. It's harder to get this problem in Transcendence because there aren't a lot of useful items to carry around: map ROMs, longzhu spheres, programs, and a few decon barrels (oh, and fuel of course) generally cover it.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Shields, what shields? Worldship Plate is the only way to fly.

Other than that, omni turbo/particle and something big and heavy (howitzer, slam, or NAMI) is the way to go.
Dosgamer3
Closed Account
Closed Account

Burzmali wrote:Shields, what shields? Worldship Plate is the only way to fly.

Other than that, omni turbo/particle and something big and heavy (howitzer, slam, or NAMI) is the way to go.
Forget worldship armor, when you're headed up against the Iocyrm!
(Even with ICXs and patch spiders and regenerate!!) I tried it once, and I got fried like, immediately.

I prefer diamond plate w/orthosteel nano enhancement and an enhance Iocyrm veil for protection, and a Qialong archcannon + Kytrn plasma (whatever it's called) for weaponry. If my ship can handle the weapons, I usually throw in an enhance Katana star cannon or Sunflare cannon. Or both.
The universe is illogical. Get over it.

-----------------------------------------

I cannot be held accountable for anything I say that offends you. I never intentionally offend anyone.
If I offended you, it was an accident and I am sorry.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

One thing I've learned when testing unknown barrels, is to never use them on your best armor. I'll always save a section of light titanium -- install it and test the unknowns. Have lost very good armor to no shields and decay barrels before and that really sets an ill feeling within. So anymore I always keep a low-weight test plate in reserve.

With weapons, my primary ones are beam. No worries about finding shells there. With missile-based weapons (thermo cannon, Fusionfire..etc.) aside from having to restock some of them, there's always a great chance that the return/incoming fire will stop them--prolonging the time to kill the target. I'll take an enhanced (25%) omni Ion blaster over any other weapon in the game....pre Heretic, of course.

The freighter only having 2 weapon slots, makes decision-making kinda difficult for me where combining weapons are concerned. I like to clear wrecks after looting so there's where the Fusionfire comes in handy. Also use it for long-range base busting as well. But then there's the Dwarg (my biggest nemesis) and usually whenever they enter the picture, my ship is equipped with a particle-based weapon. Not a good choice for going up against particle reflecting armor, so I try to balance it out by using the omni-Turbolaser on them. Is quite effective if the cannon is enhanced and a collimator installed. Will also use the NAMI and stilettos on the D master at times as well, or the Cnidocyst (if one can be found) to disable him, then pound him with the primary.
So generally I'll keep several types of weapons in the hold at all times, for their appropriate usage and will swap the secondary weapon often. The primary weapon stays installed, until a better one is found.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Dosgamer3 wrote:
Forget worldship armor, when you're headed up against the Iocyrm!
(Even with ICXs and patch spiders and regenerate!!) I tried it once, and I got fried like, immediately.

I prefer diamond plate w/orthosteel nano enhancement and an enhance Iocyrm veil for protection, and a Qialong archcannon + Kytrn plasma (whatever it's called) for weaponry. If my ship can handle the weapons, I usually throw in an enhance Katana star cannon or Sunflare cannon. Or both.
We're talking Pre-St. K's here. I swap to the Holochoral and Veil for the Iocrym.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Just got to St. K.'s in a new freighter game.
On arrival:
100 MWreactor (from Rigel), omni turbolaser, shtorm repeater, light blast plate, s500 shield, tritium propulsion upgrade, ICX.

Got in St. K's:
150MW reactor, omni particle beam, mark III howitzer, 3 carbide carapace & 1 gosuku armors, patch spider (loot).
That Bushido merchant was a godsend.
"War is hell."
Boris the Cat
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Is it just me, or has carbide carapace become much rarer in 0.97a? I used to be able to use it for much of the game in previous versions, but now I'll be damned if I can find just a single segment.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

dvlenk6 wrote:Credits are almost never a problem for me. I thoroughly clear every system, buy/sell illegals, do the Ice Farm to Resteraunt routes, and trade with tinkers. I will backtrack systems to do these, all the way to Eridani if needed.
I usually do the same thing. Will even go around buying up and looting all the fuel rods I can find and sell them at the Ice Farm for a good profit.

My current game, freighter, I've found 12 or so shield enhancer ROM's and 0 weapon enhancer ROM's so far. Just made St. K's with an omni turbolaser, omni particle cannon, 100MW reactor, an Urak howitzer (for swapping), 2 Tharsis armors and 2 light blast plates and get this! I found an s100 then an s500 and then an Invincible-class shield all in the system just before Charon! It had 4 armor dealers and 2 BM's in it. So to make a profit, I used ROM's on the s100 and s500 then sold them, installed the Invincible and enhanced it to keep. Also found a set of 4 blast plates in St. K's and hit them with the particle resistance barrels.

Although I haven't found a single weapon ROM, so far this has been a really fun one to play...

EDITED to correct the system. Was the system before Charon where I found the shields.
Last edited by FAD on Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Boris, that is the first time I found CC armor.
I don't think it's rarer in the XML, but...

- - - - -

There were quite a few Ice Farms leading up to St. K.'s this game. Also found 3 Tempus Labs.
No BM stations (but there was a shipyard right out of ST. K.'s :D )
There was only one tinker.
Korolov's and Ag. stations were oddly absent too.
Armor and weapon dealers galore.
"War is hell."