Making cash post St. Kats?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
ShadowoftheSun
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hey there. First time poster, although you might have seen me lurking in the IRC.

Simple question here. I can generally, although not always, make enough money to kit myself out well enough so that once I'm in St. Kats I can buy enough stuff to at least hold my own with the enemies past for 2 or 3 systems.

Issue is that, once I've done that, I have NO IDEA how to make money after that. Maybe I'm just getting really bad loot drops or whatever, but I can't find enough to sell so that I can upgrade enough to properly survive.

Anyone older and wiser than I got some advice on how to make cash?
a well dressed man
arms at the sides
has the proper measurements
cuffs just below the wrists
a well dressed man
has some very strict
ideas
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There are no profitable missions, but there should be enough loot if you know where to sell stuff. Some stations give vastly better prices than others.

The key, though, is to save up to get the right stuff from corporate trading posts. Dyon Dust will let you farm ventari without risking your equipment, though this may be less important in 1.05. I'm on a borrowed netbook for the holidays and haven't had the chance to try it. The other important thing to order is a patcher arm. This will eliminate the risk of being caught with armor too damaged to repair, and armor repair prices will be reduced to the cost of the fuel to sit somewhere safe while the arm does its work. Spiders are an option, but if you try to use them in combat, or forget to leave enough free cargo space to bring them in, you'll go through them faster than you can find replacements.

Farming Ventari will usually save you two reactor upgrades: the 150NX and the SN2500. You'll also get loads of fuel for the nice shiny SN2500 and loads of weapons to sell. This is where you jump from the miserly midgame to the endgame. You can farm Ventari to pay for your next round of upgrades.

Farming ferian warriors is another option. They're safer because they lack turrets, but restricted in number and won't get you a reactor that'll let you jump over the 150NX. You can get that reactor from Huari, but they don't respawn so it'll take luck rather than patience.

If you're having Dwarg or Marauder trouble the answer is wingmen. They can be sent after EMP sources.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Atarlost wrote:There are no profitable missions, but there should be enough loot if you know where to sell stuff. Some stations give vastly better prices than others.

The key, though, is to save up to get the right stuff from corporate trading posts. Dyon Dust will let you farm ventari without risking your equipment, though this may be less important in 1.05. I'm on a borrowed netbook for the holidays and haven't had the chance to try it. The other important thing to order is a patcher arm. This will eliminate the risk of being caught with armor too damaged to repair, and armor repair prices will be reduced to the cost of the fuel to sit somewhere safe while the arm does its work. Spiders are an option, but if you try to use them in combat, or forget to leave enough free cargo space to bring them in, you'll go through them faster than you can find replacements.

Farming Ventari will usually save you two reactor upgrades: the 150NX and the SN2500. You'll also get loads of fuel for the nice shiny SN2500 and loads of weapons to sell. This is where you jump from the miserly midgame to the endgame. You can farm Ventari to pay for your next round of upgrades.

Farming ferian warriors is another option. They're safer because they lack turrets, but restricted in number and won't get you a reactor that'll let you jump over the 150NX. You can get that reactor from Huari, but they don't respawn so it'll take luck rather than patience.

If you're having Dwarg or Marauder trouble the answer is wingmen. They can be sent after EMP sources.

Ferian always show up as friendlies for me, not sure exactly how you find the warriors.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Kill some Ferian miners or blow up their colony. The warriors will spawn.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

is it better to do that or keep 'em friendly?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Depends if you can withstand attacks from numerous angered Ferian miners and warriors, and do not care about conducts. Beyond that, no one, not even other Ferian colonies care about Ferian abuse. Ferian exploitation is lucrative.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PM wrote:Depends if you can withstand attacks from numerous angered Ferian miners and warriors, and do not care about conducts. Beyond that, no one, not even other Ferian colonies care about Ferian abuse. Ferian exploitation is lucrative.
I have lost many a ship to the ferian swarm attack...but the rewards are so sweet -- past the massive ore their stations store, using their plasma torch to mine volcanic ore to turn into rin is a *huge* cash grab, but is only really appreciated by the Ringers.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

ThePrivateer wrote:
PM wrote:Depends if you can withstand attacks from numerous angered Ferian miners and warriors, and do not care about conducts. Beyond that, no one, not even other Ferian colonies care about Ferian abuse. Ferian exploitation is lucrative.
I have lost many a ship to the ferian swarm attack...but the rewards are so sweet -- past the massive ore their stations store, using their plasma torch to mine volcanic ore to turn into rin is a *huge* cash grab, but is only really appreciated by the Ringers.

But take a look at where they are, they are right in the systems leading up to and in the Ringers stations. So it makes perfect sense. heh
asam3
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Do Korolov Missions.

When you do, always choose out anything that would pay you above 1k. The transport to stargates would be the best missions since it would help you to get easy cash cause it's only a one way trip. Also, never kill those ships that summons Charon ships. If you do, you'll have to face kronosaurus too early in the game. A tip, I think with 5 missions Korolov gives a targetting rom, at 15 they give you the class V deflector(better than Yoroi S500) after that I have no idea anymore. And I'm not yet checking out if I can kill Kronosaurus cause I'm like 16 galaxies in the game already, and Korolov appeared at the 2nd-3rd I think.

Yes, it's enough to give you at least 30-50K, along with the loots you get from destroyed charon ships.

And after St. Kaths? Go on a hunt for wrecks, lure enemies into ferian miners(lol) and have them killed if possible.

Oh, and if you're sadistic, here's a tip with sung slavers camp(the one with the cargo vessels containing the slaves).

Stand on top of the main station, spam missile and main weapon, don't worry about the towers, they won't attack in any direction as long as you stand there. If possible, lure the slaver ships away first, then run straight into the main station, and stop on top of it. When destroyed, dock at the nearest(unbroken) cargo vessel, and take your booty. Also, the particle cannons(which will turn into katana cannons late into the game) of slavers are worth 1200 in tinkers I think(katanas are 1600). Slaves costs 2150 in BM, I don't know if teratron or ringers buy them yet. Domina gives 1 free aid for every slave, so it's worth the sacrifice to domina if ever.
Encrypting messages into optical arrays, one cube at a time...

E5DCM-I921G-7R1E3 - A beta code for some game. Might want to ask me back at it's original site for the correct one though. Better be fast, not that patient here.

I'll be observing from afar.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

asam3 wrote:Do Korolov Missions.

When you do, always choose out anything that would pay you above 1k. The transport to stargates would be the best missions since it would help you to get easy cash cause it's only a one way trip. Also, never kill those ships that summons Charon ships. If you do, you'll have to face kronosaurus too early in the game. A tip, I think with 5 missions Korolov gives a targetting rom, at 15 they give you the class V deflector(better than Yoroi S500) after that I have no idea anymore. And I'm not yet checking out if I can kill Kronosaurus cause I'm like 16 galaxies in the game already, and Korolov appeared at the 2nd-3rd I think.

Yes, it's enough to give you at least 30-50K, along with the loots you get from destroyed charon ships.

And after St. Kaths? Go on a hunt for wrecks, lure enemies into ferian miners(lol) and have them killed if possible.

Oh, and if you're sadistic, here's a tip with sung slavers camp(the one with the cargo vessels containing the slaves).

Stand on top of the main station, spam missile and main weapon, don't worry about the towers, they won't attack in any direction as long as you stand there. If possible, lure the slaver ships away first, then run straight into the main station, and stop on top of it. When destroyed, dock at the nearest(unbroken) cargo vessel, and take your booty. Also, the particle cannons(which will turn into katana cannons late into the game) of slavers are worth 1200 in tinkers I think(katanas are 1600). Slaves costs 2150 in BM, I don't know if teratron or ringers buy them yet. Domina gives 1 free aid for every slave, so it's worth the sacrifice to domina if ever.
KV stations are rare past St Katherine, and plus they are not really ever very helpful if they are
asam3
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Ttech wrote: KV stations are rare past St Katherine, and plus they are not really ever very helpful if they are
He said he got decent gear when he get to St. Kaths.

So if ever he has not killed kronosaurus or fished out the charon systems, that's up to him to return back to them and do more missions.
Encrypting messages into optical arrays, one cube at a time...

E5DCM-I921G-7R1E3 - A beta code for some game. Might want to ask me back at it's original site for the correct one though. Better be fast, not that patient here.

I'll be observing from afar.
Curudan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

asam3 wrote:The transport to stargates would be the best missions since it would help you to get easy cash cause it's only a one way trip.
Never do the one way trip missions. Always do the two way missions.

All Korolov missions give you "Korolov XP" an invisible variable that tracks your progress to the next level, and two way missions give you more XP. Furthermore, all stations have a limited number of missions available, a random number that is determined when the station is initialized.

So, there will not always be enough stations to get the class V deflector unless you only do the two way missions; sometimes there won't even be enough for that.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Curudan wrote:
asam3 wrote:The transport to stargates would be the best missions since it would help you to get easy cash cause it's only a one way trip.

All Korolov missions give you "Korolov XP" an invisible variable that tracks your progress to the next level, and two way missions give you more XP. Furthermore, all stations have a limited number of missions available, a random number that is determined when the station is initialized.

So, there will not always be enough stations to get the class V deflector unless you only do the two way missions; sometimes there won't even be enough for that.
A good trick with Korolov -- the ships you are 'sposed to be protecting tend to blindly fly past enemy stations and cause you a lot of trouble. So, when you enter a system with Korolovs, I kill all the enemy stations first, then do the missions and you only have to fight the Charon attackers that way.

I didn't know about the invisible tracker though, 'cos I tend to do one-way's a lot and wonder why I can't advance very far. >.>
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Curudan wrote:

That is interesting, I always wonered why I became a hero before I was really getting any good ships, it was because I ketp doing the more xp missions.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ttech wrote:
Curudan wrote:

That is interesting, I always wonered why I became a hero before I was really getting any good ships, it was because I ketp doing the more xp missions.
Yet another mystery of Transcendence solved! :D