Protection after StKat

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Schnobs
Miner
Miner

v1.08

It used to be that you were pretty much dead the moment your shields went down.
Apparently, these days "shields down" is serious but doesn't spell immediate doom...

But:
past StKat it became obvoius that I'd need resistance to Ion effects & Radiation;
as far as I see, the only way to get that is chosing armor that is resistant to one
and apply some sauce to deal with the other, which pretty much limits me to either
ceralloy or blast plate. However, if that is really so: what good are Hexphase and
Carbide Carapace and...?

Can I somehow get both resistances on armor that had none to begin with? Or how
is one supposed to deal with these threats?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

All armor at level 7 or higher are intrinsicly immune to radiation unless specified otherwise. (Advanced ceralloy armor is not immune.)
All armor at level 9 or higher are intrinsicly immune to EMP.
Taikon's carbide armor and Iocrym armor are both radiation immune and ion effect immune.

Armor can accept only one enhancement. If you want to add radiation immunity, the easiest way is to contaminate your ship, visit a Tinkers station, then pay for their (more expensive) decontamination service. All unenhanced armor will receive radiation immunity. For ion side effect immunity, you need dyon dust. Dyon dust is rare, and you may need to burn a trading post order to acquire enough barrels.

Radiation immunity is not difficult to get by midgame. Ion effect immunity will likely be difficult to get unless you are willing to burn trading post orders on dyon dust.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Actually, there's an ion paste in http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... ce_coating which, if you look, provides EMP/device damage/blinding/ion resistance and is much easier to obtain. Whether it's a bug or not I cannot say but emperical testing with a plate modified with the coating DOES protect against EMP effects. For confirmation, you can check with Solar_Geo on the IRC. The inherant bonuses in things should be noted somewhere easy to access in game, though Like on every piece of armor that has an immunity because of level, it actually notes it, so you don't just assume.
Schnobs
Miner
Miner

PM wrote:All armor at level 7 or higher are intrinsicly immune to radiation unless specified otherwise. [...]
All armor at level 9 or higher are intrinsicly immune to EMP.
I suspected something along these lines, but I don't have enough money to just go ahead
and buy some armor just to see what happens.
Thanks for the info.

Likewise, better armor and shields no longer list any resistance to laser & kinetic.
I presume that's in order to save space, because all of them are rather resistant
to these simple weapons and it would be a waste of time to point it out.
Am I right?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Likewise, better armor and shields no longer list any resistance to laser & kinetic.
Yes. Higher level armor and shields are either highly resistant or immune to lower level damage types. For instance, level 10+ armor is completely immune to laser and kinetic damage.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Amariithynar wrote:Actually, there's an ion paste
Barrels of ion resistance coating does not defend against ion effects, at least not for enemy ships. Ventari ships, which use armor enhanced by ion resistance coating, can be paralyzed by the EMP cannon.

Schnobs
Miner
Miner

Hold on a second... I just realize that besides radiation, there's ion and EMP.

Or at any rate, there's:
monopole dust -- "When applied to armor, monopole dust dissipates EMP energy, rendering it harmless."
dyon dust -- "Dust activated by dyons immunizes armor against ion effects that disable or damage a ship's systems."
anti-radiation coating -- "This borocarbide coating absorbs deadly radiation before it can penetrate your ship's hull."

EMP is what sends my ship spinning, throwing blue sparks, right? That's what bugs me right now. And ion effect
will randomly damage my equipment? I haven't seen that yet, but sure will hate it when I do. Do I need to concern
myself with that just now? And where does "blinding" fit into that scheme?

And, back to general damage resistance: I just found out that much of the .tdb is human-readable.
Here's what it says about Adv.Ceralloy:

Code: Select all

<Armor
				hitPoints=	"150"
				hpBonus=	"  +0,  +0,+100, -25, +50,  +0"

radiationImmune=	"false"
				EMPDamageAdj=		"0"
				/>
Adv. Blast Plate has no explicit declaration regarding radiation. I guess I know why.
Where can I find a list of the generic / intrinsic abilities of level-n items? (This might be a
bit above and beyond a newbie's forum, but hey. I just hope you keep in line with the famous
motto of the Rutles Store, "We help people to help themselves"...)
Many thanks for your patience.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Dyon Dust is a superset of Monopole Dust. There's really no reason to use the latter if you can get the former.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

PM wrote:
Amariithynar wrote:Actually, there's an ion paste
Barrels of ion resistance coating does not defend against ion effects, at least not for enemy ships. Ventari ships, which use armor enhanced by ion resistance coating, can be paralyzed by the EMP cannon.
Like I said, was tested by Solar_Geo to confirm. Seemed to work just fine.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I've tried it in my latest game. It doesn't work.
Literally is the new Figuratively
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Schnobs wrote:EMP is what sends my ship spinning, throwing blue sparks, right? That's what bugs me right now. And ion effect will randomly damage my equipment? I haven't seen that yet, but sure will hate it when I do. Do I need to concern myself with that just now? And where does "blinding" fit into that scheme?
Ion-effect includes blinding, EMP, and device (disruption). If the armor has ion-effect immune, that means it is immune to ALL debilitating ion side effects.

Device disruption is caused by the ion disruptor, and Ventari ships are armed with them. Device disruption is very nasty. Items that are "Ionizated" act as damaged temporarily, and while ionized, the ship will show sparks as if paralyzed. If you play 1.01, the ion disruptor damaged items permanently instead, and that was just evil.

Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Atarlost wrote:I've tried it in my latest game. It doesn't work.
Since Solar claimed it did, and Atarlost claimed it didn't, ran a test to confirm or deny. apparently the ion damage reduction WILL help protect you from it, BUT it doesn't make you completely immune. Can someone then either a) dredge up the correct numbers, or b) figure out what part of the calculation used is wrong?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

When it comes to ion effects, only immunity counts. Resistance does not help enough. Since all ion effects are caused by ion attacks (barring weird stuff from oddball mods), reducing ion damage reduces the duration of blindness, paralyzation by EMP, and ionization.

Schnobs
Miner
Miner

PM wrote:Device disruption is caused by the ion disruptor, and Ventari ships are armed
with them. Device disruption is very nasty. Items that are "Ionizated" act as damaged
temporarily, and while ionized, the ship will show sparks as if paralyzed. If you play 1.01,
the ion disruptor damaged items permanently instead, and that was just evil.
I played 0.96, boy was that long ago, but I still remember perma-destruction.

As it is, I finally settled with Carbide Carapace (+monopole dust) and a Yoroi MX (efficient).
Yet another weird store, some Bushido or Makayev, that had like 17 sheets of carbide carapace
yet little else. I believe that's freakish because all other sources together would hardly give a
matched set. Anyhoo, that combo serves me rather well so far. I don't think I'll reconsider until
I spot the first Ventari -- thanks for the warning.
Solar Geo
Miner
Miner

It may be an effect of the mods were using, because I had the +Ion effect on, and I had a ventari pounding that particular plate till it nearly failed, and that was a fair few hits. I think the conclusion from IRC was that it DOES decrease chances and I just got freakishly lucky.