Biggest initial hurdles?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
resin31
Anarchist
Anarchist

Cimanyd wrote:
resin31 wrote:
matix wrote:1.01 biggest hurdle: I'm agreeing with PM, fuel was definitely a huge obstacle early on
I thought so early on also untill i realized that just disablling the force fields during non combat scenarios makes it almost a non factor provided you do a few things
i downloaded the game a wk ago 1.01 and i wiped out charon and slicer so far ,

I was at total standstills untill the random spawn system finally gave me critical drops that i havnt heard mentioned here. im not big on modding, i'm for mod suggestions that doesnt take anything from the 1.01 at all but adds to it. and can anyone tell me how i can repair Volkov's ship, or how i can get more followers like him. not autons :?:
Later in the game, after St. Katharine's Star (the system with a blue sun and a big Commonwealth station around an inhabitable planet, and lots of stations around that), you can find Commonwealth Fortresses. There, go to the bar (you have to do at least one mission first to get access) and you may find a wingman. If not, try again later. There are two that you can get from this, Jenna and Rama.

Wingmen (Volkov, Jenna, Rama) will repair by themselves if they go near certain stations (not sure exactly, but generally ones that can repair your armor). If they are only damaged a little, they won't repair. If they send a message that's something like "My ship needs repairs," they are damaged enough to repair.

I apologize for using so many parentheses (I tend to use them a lot (see? (I'm using them now))). (Did you notice?)
Thanks !!that helped alot, i was scared to play again untill i found a way to repair him, iddnt want to loose him. lol :P
plus isnt it better to get every weapon type in omni and amp up speed and damage and buy whatever sheilds to take out big ships? that method seems to be propelling me through quick enough but the farming could be aesier, im considering using the miners mod if it doesnt hurt the 1.01 in any balance way.. i downloaded about ten mods that i wont use yet till its beat but im tempted sometimes by that every playable ship mod. (I apologize for my horrendous word spacing and punctuations/spelling) notice?
resin31
Anarchist
Anarchist

oh and can someone tell me how to change my avatar you guys got all the cool ships and i got lil dinky :mrgreen:
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Your ship avatar changes as you post more.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

resin31 wrote:I thought so early on also untill i realized that just disablling the force fields during non combat scenarios makes it almost a non factor provided you do a few things
I tried that before, and discovered it is usually more trouble than it is worth in systems with random encounters (i.e., most of them), unless the shield in question is Lazarus (or a custom shield based on it). Simply put, noncombat situations can become combat situations in an instant, and taking armor damage because my shield was not up means the money I saved for not burning fuel goes to armor repairs instead. Also, recharging slow regen shields like Cyclotrons and Mammoths are painful, and once charged up, I do not want to shut them off unless absolutely necessary.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It really depends on the games generosity, and your ship. In some circumstances, the armor damage is a killer. In other cases....if you don't shut down the shield, you'll run out of fuel and die. Slow regeneration does make it an emergency measure only for ships using the big Mammoths and Kaiduns though.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I don't remember which version it was but I ran a solar array once and even way far away from the sun I wouldn't die from lack of fuel. All the systems shut down but that was the extent of it.
Same goes with the Pteravores. With a solar array you won't be harmed too much. I'm guessing the order of things must have gone, refuel, remove fuel, use fuel, next cycle. that way I was getting enough fuel to have something for the Pteravores to pull out and thus not do anything else. Or maybe the refuel was last before cycling.. I'm not really sure on that point but the result was no out of fuel death.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
resin31
Anarchist
Anarchist

PM wrote:
resin31 wrote:I thought so early on also untill i realized that just disablling the force fields during non combat scenarios makes it almost a non factor provided you do a few things
I tried that before, and discovered it is usually more trouble than it is worth in systems with random encounters (i.e., most of them), unless the shield in question is Lazarus (or a custom shield based on it). Simply put, noncombat situations can become combat situations in an instant, and taking armor damage because my shield was not up means the money I saved for not burning fuel goes to armor repairs instead. Also, recharging slow regen shields like Cyclotrons and Mammoths are painful, and once charged up, I do not want to shut them off unless absolutely necessary.
sorry bump
Last edited by resin31 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
resin31
Anarchist
Anarchist

Vachtra wrote:I don't remember which version it was but I ran a solar array once and even way far away from the sun I wouldn't die from lack of fuel. All the systems shut down but that was the extent of it.
Same goes with the Pteravores. With a solar array you won't be harmed too much. I'm guessing the order of things must have gone, refuel, remove fuel, use fuel, next cycle. that way I was getting enough fuel to have something for the Pteravores to pull out and thus not do anything else. Or maybe the refuel was last before cycling.. I'm not really sure on that point but the result was no out of fuel death.
i installed the solar array but its not working though im in the sun nor does it show up when i check my devices under(u) and(b) though it appears in my ships equippped device cargobay :?:
resin31
Anarchist
Anarchist

resin31 wrote:
PM wrote:
Im glad you left (provided you do a few things) in that quote but im new here so please bear with my lack,It has been working for me, because i have 135 armor with high defense towards most ammo types(150-300 resistance) plus a spider so i actually havnt needed my sheilds unless i fight bases or big ships but with (visual and, targeting roms, turbo Omnidirectional weps and long range missle defense device and patch spider device) im far less dependant on shields and fuel with those mentioned items.. I can go from top to bottom of solar system during the fuel warning (with my shields off) running 100mw generator.

All my stuff combined only runs 30 or less mw. its the shields that are the worse of the bunch when fuel factors in. i go for high output weps with low mw usage but its tricky. the average good shield is 30-40mw alone, forcing me to use a 100mw So im gonna avoid the 150mw the best i can by hpoefully going solar, and looking for (Self reliant tech), all that saved fuel money goes towards wepons, devices and armor. I have a solar array but it may be glitchy for me cuz it aint working unless i need to put it with solar armor or use a rom or deactivate another device or maybe its generator related idk.. when i install the solar array it wont show in my option U or B but shows in my ship configuration as active. i sit in the sun and notice nothing.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

If you have too much drain on your system from weapons and devices you might not notice a gain in fuel. But since you don't have your shields on I wouldn't expect that.
Have you sat on the sun with all devices off?

Also the solar array might have been removed from the B list since it drains no power, no need to turn it off, and not on U since it's not a "usable".

Side note: I've been running back through 0.9e and it's a lot harder than I remember. I've gotten used to stopping with the "." and I think there's more encounters too.
resin31
Anarchist
Anarchist

Vachtra wrote:If you have too much drain on your system from weapons and devices you might not notice a gain in fuel. But since you don't have your shields on I wouldn't expect that.
Have you sat on the sun with all devices off?

Also the solar array might have been removed from the B list since it drains no power, no need to turn it off, and not on U since it's not a "usable".

Side note: I've been running back through 0.9e and it's a lot harder than I remember. I've gotten used to stopping with the "." and I think there's more encounters too.
Actually, i havnt tried turning everything off(ill try today) but the solar array is a device that you must install, and thuogh my yellow bar never reaches beyond 30% consumption with everything turned on ship moving and firing with (shields,weps,devices equipped) my total Mw use is in the high 70% range. so my actual use of mw power and its (consumption,display) during use is hugely misleading, So i think the 40% discrepancy comes from the shield if i can cut my usage to less than 50mw maybe i'll save fuel better, but the 100mw generator seems to be my sweet spot right now for total mw usage, (as several fuel rods fit that Mw geerator)

My fuel only factors in when i fly about half way through a solar sysem which takes 20% fuel, but with shields off it goes down to about 10% usage which is very good. also did i mention i have a cargo bay upgrade letting me take in another 75-100 tons of cargo, i dont know if weight factors in at certain intervals but the profit far outweighs fuel cost. im on 1.01 and i have little desire to play less featured older versions unless it sooo dynamic that later versions cant compete but i doubt it.

just to help anybody who has a problem loosing their ally(volkov) when he comes up on a freighter E1500 thats destroyed. his wife is dead on that ship and he will leave your party, soooo.. i was forced to park him and go physically wipe out the freighter leaving no evidence she died and he's none the wiser,(now I played my share of rpg's but that to me should be award winning manipulation of ally use :twisted:

does anybody know where i repair broken weps, i have a dark matter cannon that looks sweet but it broke. i store all my items at the arena,
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Yes you have to install the solar array but it's a continuous item. The U is for items that you have to specifically tell the game to use like the jump drive after it's installed or like barrels or autons.
pip
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hello greetings etc....

After playing for a little over a month (& still being a complete n00b), the following things have jumped out as a little hurdle-ish:

Fuel
Although not really due to general availability, more due to the type which is available as the more advanced reactors can't use pretty much anything that gets dropped in wrecks.
This can be very frustrating.
Maybe it would be useful if you could combine several lower level fuel items to get a smaller number of the next level up?
The ore processing mod is quite useful, but is hindered by the complete lack of fuel stations in areas where it would be the most helpful.

Brakes
There are none. This falls somewhere between mildly irritating and immensely annoying.
I've seen reference to changing a keybinding in settings.xml, only trouble is I don't have one of those. Anywhere.
Something like that should really be default behaviour anyway - first time I tried that and my ship accellerated into a wall of explosions and ended up as a constellation of glitter. :P

Bankrupt Stations
It's almost comically easy to sell enough stuff to a station so it can't afford to buy anything more. Especially when you're dealing with cast-off kit (which is usually enhanced in some way).

Unsellable Items
Some things just end up as being dead weight in your cargo, most notably smartcannon rounds - no station I've found as yet will buy these things.
Out the airlock!

Arco Vaughn
It took me a few runs through to figure out that you had to use a disposable missile rack in order to actually use it.
Needless to say, I found my games ending rather early until then.

Broken Items
I once got to the point where pretty much everything I owned was damaged, no-one would buy the broken gear and all the tinkers were flat broke and couldn't buy anything.
Hunting around in the mods yielded some repair droids and a patch framework which solved the problem nicely.
It would be rather cool if tinkers could actually fix broken items appropriate to the level of thier system though, and it would help them not run out of money so fast.

The "Hump"
That special place mid-game where you can waltz through the systems behind you, but get curb stomped in the systems ahead of you.
I spend a lot of time sat on my hump :lol:

Power Management
Okay you've finally got a decent weapon, but it's right on the edge of what your reactor can handle.
We'll manage, at the very worst it'll shut down and I'll have to run.
No. This is not what happens. Not at all.
The power management system decides, in it's infinite wisdom to shut down the shields. In the middle of a firefight.
I do so love the sound of failing armour....

Damn, I love this game.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Press [.] for brakes.

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You really should try to use the jkl cluster for movement. It's convenient to 'u', 'i', 'm', and the invoke keys for the jumpdrive and superconducting shield coils if you use either of those. To get quick access to them with your right hand on the arrow cluster your left hand needs to move away from 'tab', 'w', 'c', and the selection keys for sustain, defend and wingman/auton attack orders.

Invoke keys cannot be remapped, and I don't believe the Domina and Communication submenu selection keys can be remapped either.

The '.' key is convenient to the jkl cluster, though you may still want to remap it to ','.
Literally is the new Figuratively