Help! Shield Dilemma!

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
DangerousDude
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hey guys, new user here. I was wondering something...I don't need help, just a bit of a rant.

My set-up is:

X-Ray Laser
100MW Reactor
Nami Missile Launcher(with other 800 missiles!)
Smugglers Cargo Hold
4x Blast Plate

However, I have a problem. As a shield, I only have a Monopole Deflector Screen with +20%. So, I tend to blow up pretty quick if I don't just gun stuff down quick enough.

I only survived destroying the Fortress Of The Charon Pirates by staying out of range from its cannons and firing fragmentation missiles at it. Obviously I made sure that it wasn't firing at me. It consumed over 200 missiles! But the loot was worth it.

But, my point is...Help! I don't have a good shield! :(
I Blew Up The Charon Fortress!
I Beat The Slicer!
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Get better armor. I suggest an Omsk set if you can find it, or any of the -carbides.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
pip
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

^^
Omsk armour/shield sets are really quite good - definitely worth getting hold of if they're available.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Few non-military armor is as good as or better than blast plate. As for shield, you need to get a better, higher level shield; or one that strongly resists attacks from your most common and/or dangerous enemies. If that is not enough, play like a dirty coward or otherwise stack the odds in your favor. Your sniping at the fortress is one such example. If you are playing any ship slower than the Wolfen, get an engine upgrade so you can outrun or at least match the speed of most enemy ships.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
CYRUS KGABO
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Or u can just get your hands on a solon shield it can handle 670 laser hits and if u use a shield enhancer it wil nt only protect you from pirates bt i bet u could take out a frigate with this baby.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Solon would be great, except it also blocks outgoing laser fire, which includes his X-ray laser. Also, since he likely finished Charon, he will need better to defend against midgame enemies.

Edit: Solon is effective against frigates only if you can stop their KM500 Stilettos from hitting your ship, and Solon is weak against blast.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Androgeos
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I usually make do with a Class III or Cyclotron S1200 until I see a Yoroi S500.
[10:42] <Katami> TTECH: IT SEYS "ONCE YOU ENTAR A EYSTEM HAHAHAHAAHH~~~!~~~!<3<3<3
[10:42] <Katami> ~ROLLL 1D100 L0LL0LL0LL0LHAHHAHHAH!~!!~~:-):-):-)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Good midgame shields:

Yoroi S500
Nephren P25
Type V Deflector (NOT RANDOM)
Omsk Mk.1
Superconducting Shield Generator (Hard to find, harder to recharge, avoid if you aren't sure you'll be able to keep it going)
The heavier Ceratops quasi-armors aren't bad either.
If you see an Invincible class deflector, GET IT. And be quick to invoke a "sustain" power when it fails.
Later on, the Trenton is an excellant shield *if* you also have decent armor.

One thing: The Yoroi S100 isn't a bad shield, but it tends to consume fuel very quickly.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
whaleduck
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Well... either
1. Get better weapons/more missiles
2.Better armor
3.Get at least 80,000 creds(100,000 recomended) and head out to Adventurer outfitters(systems past St Kats) and buy plasma shield generator

Also, the R-series isn't that bad, R5 if you can find one and afford it, R1 if you are desperate.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

SungSlaver231 wrote:Well... either
1. Get better weapons/more missiles
2.Better armor
3.Get at least 80,000 creds(100,000 recomended) and head out to Adventurer outfitters(systems past St Kats) and buy plasma shield generator

Also, the R-series isn't that bad, R5 if you can find one and afford it, R1 if you are desperate.
The R1 sucks, it's a level IV shield with negative resistances to laser and kinetic, and no particle/blast resistence.
By the time you get to St kats, you've encountered and overcome all of these damage types, and you'll want a blast/particle shield, that means either a Ceratops, Nephren P25 or one of the Yoroi series (Class five is quest reward)
By the time you begin to encounter ion enemies (ventari) you'll want the R5, Mammoth 25MW (or the invincible class, if you can find one).
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
travbm
Miner
Miner

This is a bit of a cheat, but if you fire from inside an asteroid it can protect your ship if it is big enough to cover your rear. You just fly over a large asteroid, planet or star and leave part of your nose out just farenough to fire and it helps act as a baricade to other sides of your ship, just have heavy armor on the front of your ship and replace armor or use armor repair or have a regenerate armor on it. Once you take enough damage you go to the center of the asteroid and wait for your armor to heal, you take no damage unless they are ontop of you sometimes but rare. Stars are best as you have slots that help protect you like notches in the star that you can fire in between. The most common thing to do when I am starting out in a new game. But I get enough ships and loot sometimes and work my way up to better stuff. Save often also.
Doing nothing here.