Weapons not causing damage to large ships

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
DarkReality
Anarchist
Anarchist

Something I find to be incredibly unhelpful is the fact that larger ships seem to randomly negate damage. Specifically marauder platforms and tripoli destroyers. I'll reduce their shields (or not, if they have none) and cause 30 to 40% damage (targetting system installed) and then suddenly stop. Their damage indicator will suddenly increase incredibly slowly and I'll spend a solid 15 minutes hacking away at single ship.

This feels unfair, to be honest. Is there a reason to this?
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yes, ships like that have a lot of armor segments. The damage display in your HUD will show the % of the most damaged section. In order to see this number decrease, you have to hit the same section, shooting around the ship randomly will result in damaging other armor sections that are less damaged, and the number in your HUD won't change.

Moreover, some of larger ships will have non-critical armor segments. That means that if one of these armor segments reach 0%, the ship won't explode.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Page on wiki explaining it:
http://transcendence.kronosaur.com/wiki ... oncritical

Basically noncritical segments differentiate the capships from the fighters. From what I've seen, it's best to either bring in a weapon with WMD (stuff like the howitzers) or if you're using energy weapons, hit directly at the front or back, in the same spot.

Also, if you have Visible Damage it'll show you what the most damaged armor segment is.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Every ships in Transcendence have multiple armor segments. Most fighters have four, like your ship (if you're using the original three starting ships.) some light fighters have two, and some even have only one. Large ships have many more armor segments. The Tripoli, for instance, has 12, and the raiding platform has 36. To destroy a ship, you must bring a critical segment down to zero percent, or bring a non-critical one down to zero percent THEN hit the segment with a high-WMD weapons. WMD is shown by the -light station damage-, -medium station damage-, and such words, in the item description. Some items don't have these words. The highest WMD weapons have -mass destruction- as indicator. If you hit a non-critical armor segment with a no-WMD weapon, it'll never explode. So if you have no WMD weapons, shoot at the front or back of the enemy. Every original ships in Transcendence have no non-critical segments at the front and back. Including the largest ships.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
Cimanyd
Miner
Miner

sun1404 wrote:Every ships in Transcendence have multiple armor segments. Most fighters have four, like your ship (if you're using the original three starting ships.) some light fighters have two, and some even have only one. Large ships have many more armor segments. The Tripoli, for instance, has 12, and the raiding platform has 36. To destroy a ship, you must bring a critical segment down to zero percent, or bring a non-critical one down to zero percent THEN hit the segment with a high-WMD weapons. WMD is shown by the -light station damage-, -medium station damage-, and such words, in the item description. Some items don't have these words. The highest WMD weapons have -mass destruction- as indicator. If you hit a non-critical armor segment with a no-WMD weapon, it'll never explode. So if you have no WMD weapons, shoot at the front or back of the enemy. Every original ships in Transcendence have no non-critical segments at the front and back. Including the largest ships.
I'm not sure, but I think when non-critical armor segments are hit when at 0 there's always a chance for the ship to be destroyed. WMD only increases the chance. And I know of one ship that only has critical armor at the front.
Spoiler: That ship
EI500 is best
IRC user (sometimes)
Wiki editor

Not really around anymore, but hoping for Part II