The generic cargo hold seems to be much more common in Eternity Port, although I'm not sure if it's just because EP just has more low-level station types that sell equipment. It's hard to make money with illegals in EP because the basic Black Market stations and Commonwealth metropolises are both pretty rare and there are no guaranteed ones before St. Kat's (unlike in base where you have, at a minimum, Starton Eridani and the Rigel Black Market.)
Finally, a few comments on military equipment and illegals.
- Before you get into rin economy zones it can be very lucrative to sell military gear at the Black Market. Normally you would want to save these for the Teratons but they show up pretty late in the game. Teratons only seem to buy weapons, ammunition and alien devices.
- Damaged equipment can be sold to Tinker stations and to generic (non-manufacturer-affiliated) armor and weapons dealers. These stations become scarce after St. Kat's, though.
- I believe that customs scanning is only performed at the following stations: Commonwealth Settlement, Commonwealth Residential Station, Commonwealth Drydock, the small residential habitats EXCEPT for ones that have been occupied by Centauri, Agricultural Station, Medical Station, Commonwealth Mining Setlement, Commonwealth Metropolis, St. Kats Arcology, the special monument stations in St. Kat's and Sol(?), Commonwealth Militia Station, CSC(?), Point Juno(?). Military and illegal equipment that is installed on your ship can't get confiscated.
- The corporate-affiliated stations, Tinkers, Korolov, Battle Arena Maximus(?), Black Market stations, Ringers, Teratons, and Earth factions' stations will never scan your ship for illegal or military goods. Additionally, you can buy and sell military equipment at these stations if it is available, but only black market shipyards (and maybe certain teraton and Heretic system stations?) will install military equipment without a military ID. EP has opportunities to acquire Earth faction military IDs that function the same as the Commonwealth military ID.
- Selling slave coffins has a chance to trigger an automatic arrest for slave trading the next time that you dock at a commonwealth station.