How do I proceed from here?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ihlosi wrote:Well, I made it to Heretic. I have the Hyperio reactor, a +40% lv9 shield, a +40% IM90. Unfortunately, all of the stations got destroyed by the ... lobsters (note for next time: Bring a bigger gun). I also had problems defending the research ship from the pteravores.
You can destroy the Petravores beforehand, if you like. It's what I do.
So what do I actually need to do now? If I try to cross the outer nebula, I get teleported around in the system.
If you have Heretic Research ROMs, go to the Iocrym Control Point. Once you have enough, Kate will take away the wrap - around effect, and you'll be good to go. Just head to the outermost planet after that.

If you don't have enough ROMs, kill the Lobsters and loot them. You'll eventually find more.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

JohnBWatson wrote:If you don't have enough ROMs, kill the Lobsters and loot them. You'll eventually find more.
The drop rate of those ROMs seems to be very low. I've spent about 45 minutes hunting lobsters and found two more (for a total of four ... I guess I need five?).

I've tried a few other weapons against the lobsters (heavy ion blaster, advanced tritium cannon, IFC), but none of them worked better than the IM90, mostly because with the latter, I can keep the optimal distance while still shooting at the lobsters.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I thought you need three ROMs to clear the anomaly?
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sun1404 wrote:I thought you need three ROMs to clear the anomaly?
That's what I thought as well. Try going to the control point, Ihlosi. If your ROMs don't work, that may be a glitch.

I've tried a few other weapons against the lobsters (heavy ion blaster, advanced tritium cannon, IFC), but none of them worked better than the IM90, mostly because with the latter, I can keep the optimal distance while still shooting at the lobsters.
APC or Lamplighter is best, if you have one.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Don't neglect missiles, either.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

JohnBWatson wrote:That's what I thought as well. Try going to the control point, Ihlosi. If your ROMs don't work, that may be a glitch.
I looked at the .xml files ... I think I understand what's going wrong.

I have four heretic data roms in my cargo hold. Oddly enough, they show up as two sets of two ROMs each, but I don't think this is an issue. Two of the ROMs were from missions, two were looted from lobsters.

The Svalbard explorer was destroyed close to a pteravore lair. I can target the wreck, but I cannot dock with it. Even with the wreck targeted, my ship will either dock with the pteravore lair or one of the nearby Iocrym star-manipulation stations.

In the Iocrym control point, I can enter the central chamber, but nothing happens there.

As far as I could glean from the .xml, at this point I would have to dock with the wreck of the Svalbard explorer and take the surviving scientists to the Iocrym control point, where they would set up a research camp. Then they could lift the barrier that keeps me from accessing the outer system once I bring them enough Heretic data roms.

Being unable to dock with the destroyed Svalbard explorer keeps the game from progressing.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The Svalbard explorer was destroyed close to a pteravore lair. I can target the wreck, but I cannot dock with it. Even with the wreck targeted, my ship will either dock with the pteravore lair or one of the nearby Iocrym star-manipulation stations.
The game's supposed to handle the Svalbard's destruction, but it does not do so reliably. I'd make a post on ministry and attach the savefile.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Svalbard wreck cannot be docked with in 1.5.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

PM wrote:Svalbard wreck cannot be docked with in 1.5.
Sometimes it can, sometimes not. I've managed it once.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Ihlosi wrote:I found and destroyed four Iocrym outposts, are there any more that I need to take care of?
I believe four is the max, although it may have changed in 1.5.
PM wrote:Svalbard wreck cannot be docked with in 1.5.
I have only done one complete playthrough in 1.5 and docking worked fine for me. I accidentally destroyed the Svalbard when it drifted too close to a pteravore nest I missed on my first cleaning run, but the wreck came to rest out of the docking range of all other stations. It might just be that other docking availability overrides the Svalbard wreck.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

If that's the case, try bombarding the Svalbard's wreck with high-momentum weapons. Perhaps a blast howitzer (Don't use end-game weapons. They may destroy the wreck.) Target it and take careful look at it's damage all the while. Get the wreck away from anything it's close to. When it's alone in empty space, outside of anything's docking range, try docking it again.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
Ultimate Chicken
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Naw, if you have the targetting ROM on, F-target the wreck. The dock command will target targetted targets (:p).
If that still doesn't work, you're bugged. <_<'
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Ultimate Chicken wrote:Naw, if you have the targetting ROM on, F-target the wreck. The dock command will target targetted targets (:p).
This does not work in my case, see my earlier post.
If that still doesn't work, you're bugged. <_<'
I guess so. The game possibly treats the Svalbard's wreck differently compared to other wrecks.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

sun1404 wrote:If that's the case, try bombarding the Svalbard's wreck with high-momentum weapons. Perhaps a blast howitzer (Don't use end-game weapons. They may destroy the wreck.) Target it and take careful look at it's damage all the while. Get the wreck away from anything it's close to. When it's alone in empty space, outside of anything's docking range, try docking it again.
I tried that. The wreck is far enough from the other stations that I can touch it with my ship, but I get the message that there are no nearby stations when I hit 'd'.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I guess so. The game possibly treats the Svalbard's wreck differently compared to other wrecks.
It does. The only thing you can do now is submit the problem to Ministry, unfortunately.