Longzhu spheres

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Were Longzhu spheres changed recently?

I can't seem to improve shields with them (however, I've only tried them on shields already enhanced with molybdium and diamond crystals), and enhancing energy weapons seems to fail when it shouldn't (although the weapon in question was already enhanced with a couple of ion power capacitors, but not to 150% yet).
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Yeah, they’ve been nerfed. That happened in 1.3 (I think). Basically, they only work on unenhanced weapons and shields now; no more stacking until you max out the enhancement.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

AssumedPseudonym wrote: Yeah, they’ve been nerfed. That happened in 1.3 (I think). Basically, they only work on unenhanced weapons and shields now; no more stacking until you max out the enhancement.
So the correct order for achieving the highest enhancement on a weapon is using one Longzhu sphere first and then the appropriate weapon-specific enhancements, and for shields it's one molybdenum crystal and then diamond crystals?
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

If you can actually find diamond field crystals ;). Longzhus are still useful for repairing damaged energy weapons and shields, too.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:If you can actually find diamond field crystals
I found five in my last game (which I just finished a minute ago).

The trick is to buy any and all unidentified crystals you find before you start id'ing them. They crystals are dirt cheap when they're unidentified and sell for ridiculous amounts of money once they're identified. I made half a million credits selling my collection of molybdium field crystals - that paid for the advanced analyzer several times over.

I also noticed in my last game that the ICS is ridiculously easy to defeat with the humble ion flame cannon (+fast). And I didn't even have the Bushido enhancer.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:If you can actually find diamond field crystals ;).
I have never, in all my years of playing, knowingly stumbled upon a diamond field crystal.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Xephyr wrote:
Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:If you can actually find diamond field crystals ;).
I have never, in all my years of playing, knowingly stumbled upon a diamond field crystal.
I have! They're hard to find, but not impossible to find. You do have to go looking for them though...buy every field crystal, then ID them.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Aren't they buyable from trade outposts? (I suppose you might have to ID them first to buy them)
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

catfighter wrote:Aren't they buyable from trade outposts? (I suppose you might have to ID them first to buy them)
Adventurer outfitters, TWDs and trade outposts (and possibly Commonwealth stations) may randomly carry them.

I usually make a shopping tour through all systems up to Heretic and buy each and every crystal I find, since they are dirt cheap when still unindentified.