Speaking of beginner's luck...

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Psycholis
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Found (but had to buy) 4 segments of heavy orthosteel 1 system past st. k's. highest level armor i've ever had this early in the game. that and the patch spider i found 2 systems later makes mid game a LOT easier.

edit: And i still have the original omni laser w/ collimiter. invincible but harmless.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Heh, I've played a couple of games where I found a commonwealth fortress right after Rigel Aurius. One was my very first game. So, it didn't make any diff. But the second was quite recent. And by the second, I knew how to run Trade routes. Tempus Labs -> Black Market, Fuel Station -> Ice Farm, Ice Farm -> Corporate Enclave. And for some reason I found loads of these along with a whole bunch of Nomads. Gathered enough money to buy myself a military Nephren, OmniTev9 and a Mark V Howitzer right then. And to top it all off I had a total of 5, yes five system map ROMs by the time I reached St.K's. Heh heh, I absolutely loved Charon. The carnage... I couldn't find any decent armor though. So I stuck with Double Titanium Barricades with +50% nonas. Made no difference whatsoever because I found a crystal which gave +30 to my Nephren. And I couldn't find enough Repairing nanos for a patcher arm either. But I guess you couldn't have everything.... I didn't too far though, I had a power failure and the game didn't save. And I wasn't gonna ressurect. :cry: :cry: :cry:
EDIT: I had over 500000 credits one system past St.K's. I'm not kidding. I looted everything, ran all possible routes and even killed a few friendlies. :twisted:
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Blitz wrote:I had over 500000 credits one system past St.K's.
Oh yeah? I've had over a million :)[/boast]

I've actually run into minus credits, which happens when the figure gets too high, but only with modding.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I guess my best was leaving St.K's, to find a Black Market Shipyard and a Tempus Lab in sight of the incoming stargate 8) .
The same system also had 2 BM Stations, an Ice Farm, and a CW Fortress. St.K's had a Bushido Merchant.
I left the system with 250MW reactor, Carbide Carapace armor, An Invincible-class Shield (+20%), a Katana Star Cannon (+25%), MAG Launcher (800f, 3k siege, and some high flux mags), Patch Spider (from right before Charon), and an ICX.
Sadly, I never found a QAC that game. I tried using a Boosted Penitent Cannon to beat the Iocrym, but got disintegrated. It was still my highest score game ever.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Yugimotomanager wrote:
Blitz wrote:I had over 500000 credits one system past St.K's.
Oh yeah? I've had over a million :)[/boast]

I've actually run into minus credits, which happens when the figure gets too high, but only with modding.
Okey fine. My record stood for like 3hrs. But you've been playing for so long. I've played this game for just 3 weeks now. Judging by that, I'll beat you eventually. :twisted:
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

and Yugi stays on Transcendence 24/7 XP (well, he seems to be on the forums all the time)
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Considering my internet locks out at 10pm and starts again at 6am, it'd be difficult to remain on the Transcendence forums 24/7.

I don't actually play the game all that often.
Psycholis
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

K. In my last game I got a combination of the best and worst luck. One system past St K.s was a black market shipyard w/ 4 segments of quadrocarbide and an invincible class. I had to use it illegally for 4 more systems though when the first fortress finally appeared. Also, my latest system had a citadel right next to the stargate, but just out of sight. So when I went to explore - wham, shields down, overload, sung hoard attack - good thing i had one gem of contrition. All this with a sapphire. I think this ship brings me bad luck.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Psycholis wrote:All this with a sapphire. I think this ship brings me bad luck.
Same here - I've always played terribly with the Sapphire. I tend to use the freighter, and occasionally the Wolfen.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I usually use a modship (balanced. or more often than not, underpowered. TIC A & B class shields are useless)
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I use a Ferian miner modship. Low armor, low maxspeed maxweapons=2 and 300 cargo space, 75000 fuel. Hard to battle with but excellent for a hoarder like me. Or I use a freighter. Don't use the sapphire or the wolfen except with my 18 degree swivel mod.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I just finished a system, 3rd past Sanctuary. It was a double asteroid field one.
It had 7 Ferian Colonies, 2 Ringer's Collectives and a Shipyard :D .
I left the system w/ a Hyperion Reactor, Iocrym Veil, Omni Ion Blaster, and a FusionFire Howitzer. 8)
There was also An Corporate Trading Post, 2 BM Shipyards, a Raisermesser Factory, and an Adventurer's Supply. First thing I see when coming out the gate into the next system is a Teraton Nest. So now I have 78,250 Rins too.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

dvlenk6 wrote:I just finished a system, 3rd past Sanctuary. It was a double asteroid field one.
It had 7 Ferian Colonies, 2 Ringer's Collectives and a Shipyard :D .
I left the system w/ a Hyperion Reactor, Iocrym Veil, Omni Ion Blaster, and a FusionFire Howitzer. 8)
There was also An Corporate Trading Post, 2 BM Shipyards, a Raisermesser Factory, and an Adventurer's Supply. First thing I see when coming out the gate into the next system is a Teraton Nest. So now I have 78,250 Rins too.
I'm guessing you were in the Kunlun system.

In the Kunlun system you had -
37% chance of 1 corporate trading post
33% chance of 1 adventurer outfitters
29% of one Rasiermesser manufacturing plant
22% chance of 1 Ringer shipyard
21% chance of 2 Ringer's collectives
4% chance of 7 Ferian colonies
4% chance of 2 BM shipyards

Just considering the last two, you had .16% of it happening. Now I call that lucky.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Where did you get the percentages from?
Also, I thouht the names and systems weren't fixed to anything - when you start the game, each system is made and a name from a list is randomley applied to that system.
Well, I guess I was wrong there.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Yugimotomanager wrote:Where did you get the percentages from?
Also, I thouht the names and systems weren't fixed to anything - when you start the game, each system is made and a name from a list is randomley applied to that system.
Well, I guess I was wrong there.
You should try using TransData for more than just decompiling the tdb. And if you examine Transcendence.xml, you'll notice that the names do correspond to certain types of systems. And by using the data that d6 provided, its easy (with TransData) to conclude that system was Kunlun.

Oh, and while you are messing with TransData, could you help me with the shieldtest function? I made a topic in the Off-topic section but nobody replied to it....