A couple of questions...

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Sai
Anarchist
Anarchist

Greetings and salutations, fellow Transcendence enthusiasts. I'm Simon. Although I'm not new to the game and have been a huge fan of it since version 0.92, I think... I do have a couple of newbie questions regarding the game since I haven't played it for several years, but, oh boy, it is good to be back! XD

(Playing the 1.6 Beta 2 version, btw.)

1. What are the prerequisites* on uploading my high score as shown on the website's scores page and can I actually do it? It's kind of a silly thing to ask, I know.
*By prerequisites I mean, am I allowed to use mods or extensions, how am I supposed to die in-game, do I have to reach Heretic and such.

2. Does "unregistered game" thingy in the Start a New Game screen have anything to do with the first question?

3. Is it possible to increase a ship's maneuverability (turning speed) beyond the value of 30.0 or does it max out at that point?

4. Is it possible to revive or make a whole new Transcendence Wiki (I volunteer as trubute!), should I even bother?
If so, I do have some free time on my hands and it wouldn't be hard for me, quite the opposite. I would do it all by myself if I have to. Why, you ask? It would be nice to have a clear database of the game's lore and mechanics without the tedious forum searches and archive digging.

5. (Kinda unrelated to the game, doesn't hurt to ask, tho.) Where are you guys mostly from? Anyone from Croatia or similar?
I'd be quite surprised to find anyone with a mutual interest from such a small corner of the world. Still having my hopes up...

6. Wait... That's about it... Or maybe I forgot something and now I can't remember if I forgot it or not. Oh, well...

Anyways, kudos to everyone answering these (You don't have to answer number 6). And yeah, cheers!
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Well my phone just deleted what I wrote so sorry for the short responses >.<
Welcome to the forums Sai!
1. You need to sign in to your account so you can play online. No mods, unfortunately. I think registered and official mods have their own high score pages though.
2. If you do have unregistered mods from Xelerus your game will become unregistered and no stats posted (correct me if I'm wrong with this)
3. I have no idea. George changed the turning mechanics a few versions ago so I'm a bit behind.
4. Yes, right now the wiki needs love but nobody's working on it. If you want I can poke Ttech on IRC and get him to activate your wiki account. You're pretty much free to add whatever you want to make the wiki better. Here's my wish list: http://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4871
5. US. The usermap is here: http://bitly.com/fvx2Di?r=bb
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Sai
Anarchist
Anarchist

RPC wrote:Well my phone just deleted what I wrote so sorry for the short responses >.<
Clear, short answers (unlike mine that you are about to witness) are more than enough for me. So, no need to apologize! :D

Thanks for the clarification regarding high scores. I'm pretty sure you got it right.

As for the rest, there are maxRotationRate and rotationAccel values in any ship extension xml file that seem like they should affect turning speed, but changing them to any combination of different values does not seem to increase turning speed beyond 30. I could be wrong since I haven't done any modding myself. That could change in the near future.

I'm not sure what you mean by activating my wiki account since registration to the wiki seems to work... If you meant editing rights, then sure, that would definitely come in handy. Your wish list seems reasonable, nothing I haven't seen being done before. Though, I haven't done any work on wikis for quite some time so expect it to start off a bit slow until I can get myself familliar with everything again.

Indexing and listing items and space stations would be the easiest thing to do, of course. It would take a while, since there are about 500+ items and 30+ stations in vanilla. And everything else seems straightforward. But it looks like the greatest pain would be the ships, since I'm not completely sure how to extract their stats and info. (I'll need help with that.)
Last edited by Sai on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

In order:

-High score uploads require a multiverse account, and you need to be logged in. Note that if you aren't logged into multiverse, you can't play registered savegames (so if your internet goes down it can be annoying)
-Yes. Registered games are games that are logged in, are not running in debug mode, and have no unregistered extensions fitted. Registered extensions (Osaka, TSB, etc) are fine although they may change what high-score table you appear on (I didn't get the vanilla high-score last year because I was testing the soundtrack beta at that time). The scoring system is pretty rubbish as well.
-That sounds like an engine limit somewhere.
-Our current general-access wiki (as opposed to the restricted developer wiki) is awful to read and somewhat out of date...so sure, go for it. Personally I'd love to see us move to mediawiki some time, but eh....getting the old one up to date may be easier than a full migration.
-We're fairly international.

*pushes button, sees post added above*

In terms of scraping ship data, TransData is the tool to use. There's peeps on IRC who should be able to come up with something that gives you what's needed.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Sai
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thanks, Shrike! I used TransData before but completely forgot about it.

Yes, moving the whole thing using mediawiki would be great since, honestly, I haven't seen any other wiki using dokuwiki other than Transcendence. I'll see what I can come up with and calculate how long the whole migration would take, but at least I have some type of source to work from. Personally, I'd go for full migration to make things easier in the long run.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Are you still Sai on the wiki? I asked Ttech to activate an account by that name.
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If you really want to push the migration pm Ttech. He has something almost set up I think. This was back when I had free time and was working on the wiki. I think there won't be as much opposition to a migration like there was last time (since people stopped working on the wiki).
Sai
Anarchist
Anarchist

My wiki username is same as on here, you got it right. And I thank you once more.

I'll ask Ttech right away. Maybe even the current wiki gets some love, who knows.
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Welcome back!

The maneuverability stat on the ship selection screen is basically bogus. All the ships in the base game and official extensions display either 5 or 30. In fact, they have three different rotation rates: 6, 9, and 12. Those seem to be in degrees per frame, so multiply by 30 to get degrees per second. They also have different amounts of rotation acceleration and some of them have higher rotation deceleration, allowing them to stop rotating instantly. There's currently no way to increase maneuverability (except possibly with mods), but carrying cargo does decrease it.
Sai
Anarchist
Anarchist

Yep, that seems to be it. Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry to be a bother, RPC, but could you contact Ttech somehow and tell him there's a message waiting for him in the inbox from me. I tried to contact him through IRC, but I missed him by an hour or two. We are like eight hours of time zones apart so it's kinda hard for me to catch him online.

I've been looking over the dokuwiki syntax that's used to format webpages. Very similar to mediawiki, of course, which is used in over 90% of all the wikis, but lacks some advanced features and that... Let's call it... "Prettiness".

Giving it a second thought, it still has great potential and it would definitely be nice to rebuild it with what's already been done than to migrate the whole thing onto some wiki farm (like a cow or something). Even I have doubts now...

What I'm saying is, keeping the wiki the way it is right now definitely has that sentimental and nostalgic feeling/vibe to it. As if it's almost a game's trademark. Like this forum. Right now, we are a small community of no more than 500 active players, modders and forumers, at best. Migrating to a better scripted wiki later after Transcendence gets a bigger community and some well deserved attention would be the most reasonable thing to do. Heck, I don't know, I'm already way over my head in this...

What do you think?
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It's up to you, since ultimately it's your time to do what you want.

I agree that migrating is a touch challenge, and I estimate it would be around ~50 work hours (accounting for stupid errors and stuff) to get it done right. This is a huge commitment and doing it half done will just break the wiki.

There is a function on IRC to get Katami (our resident IRC bot) to send other people messages.
This is the one I used right now:
~ltell Ttech hey, you should have a PM from Sai about the wiki, can you check your mail?

Syntax:
~ltell <nick> <message>
where ~ltell is short for "later, tell ..."

random note:
Transcendence got greenlit on steam so maybe the community won't stay small after all, good or bad as that may be.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sai wrote:Yep, that seems to be it. Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry to be a bother, RPC, but could you contact Ttech somehow and tell him there's a message waiting for him in the inbox from me. I tried to contact him through IRC, but I missed him by an hour or two. We are like eight hours of time zones apart so it's kinda hard for me to catch him online.

I've been looking over the dokuwiki syntax that's used to format webpages. Very similar to mediawiki, of course, which is used in over 90% of all the wikis, but lacks some advanced features and that... Let's call it... "Prettiness".

Giving it a second thought, it still has great potential and it would definitely be nice to rebuild it with what's already been done than to migrate the whole thing onto some wiki farm (like a cow or something). Even I have doubts now...

What I'm saying is, keeping the wiki the way it is right now definitely has that sentimental and nostalgic feeling/vibe to it. As if it's almost a game's trademark. Like this forum. Right now, we are a small community of no more than 500 active players, modders and forumers, at best. Migrating to a better scripted wiki later after Transcendence gets a bigger community and some well deserved attention would be the most reasonable thing to do. Heck, I don't know, I'm already way over my head in this...

What do you think?

I did reply to you right after you sent the messages. The reason we kept with Doku is its largely text based and requires little changes from version to version.
The problem is MediaWiki means we'd be stuck in that format in the database reliant on maintainer. If you're willing to be that maintainer, I'd be happy to move it around.
I'm happy to load and modify the themes if there's help.
Sai
Anarchist
Anarchist

(Yay, Senpai noticed me!)

Sure, I'd love to be a maintainer. I'll do my best and try not to let you guys down.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Yay! It's great to see the wiki getting revived! :D I don't know much about wikis, but I recently got 10+ hours more free time a week and I'd love to help however I can.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

WIki isn't dead, its only used by developers right now, anyone is welcome and encouraged to update it.
Thats part of the goal here I think. If anyone wants to be a Documentation Maintainer, there's a nice forum icon for you too.