Smuggler's cargo hold in 1.6.3

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Premier
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hi guys!

Old player here, but new to the recentmost version of the game, and I have a problem/question.

In my first, present runthrough of 1.6.3 I've acquired the black market ID chip, went to a black market station and bought the smuggler's cargo hold expansion. However, the black market dock refuses to install it after purchase, because they categorically refuse to install miscallenous items. What am I supposed to do? I can't install it at a Commonwealth station as they confiscate it as soon as I land, Tempus lab don't provide dock services, and while the various corporate equipment stations allow you to land with illegal items, they only install items manufactured by themselves. So, where do you have to go to actually get it installed?
Astraltor
Anarchist
Anarchist

Yeah, ya gotta initially go to BMS dock services to buy + install.

Can you sell it back to them? Or if there's a black market shipyard (I've not encountered one early), they install stuff. Try finding another BMS? or jettison all your illegal cargo save for the id chip (it goes into a cargo crate to be picked up later) before docking with stations.
"You're supposed to have terrible aim in a barroom brawl. How else are you going to get everyone in the whole place involved?" - mucat
Premier
Anarchist
Anarchist

Astraltor wrote:Yeah, ya gotta initially go to BMS dock services to buy + install. Or if there's a black market shipyard (I've not encountered one early), they install stuff.
Right, the shipyard. Only I haven't found one yet.
or jettison all your illegal cargo save for the id chip (it goes into a cargo crate to be picked up later) before docking with stations.
Well yeah, I know that, but as far as I'm concerned, the whole point of the smuggler's hold is to let you sell the good stuff at the night clubs in Commonwealth stations for a better price.

Anyway, I think ordinary (non-shipyard) black markets should be able to install the smuggler's hold. It's simple logic: you're running a(n illegal) commercial enterprise, for profit. You're selling a product. The product is only useful when it's installed, and is a downright liability when just ferried around withtout being installed. You should offer to install that thing for customers, as customers have no reason to buy your product without installation. And the only place IS installing it, the black market shipyard, is also selling the thing for the same price, so why would anyone buy it from you and then take to a shipyard several star system away for installation instead of just going there to buy it in the first place?

And I suspect it wouldn't be impossible to make it so from a programming perspective, either. If Rasiermesser (and other company) shops can offer installation but only for Rasiermesser (or other company) products, then why not just have the same code black market stations and classify the smuggler's hold as a black market company product?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Black market stations can install smuggler's holds. You have to do it through dock services, though; in "Miscellanious devices", if you select the cargo hold slot, the option to install it will be there.

The fact that it doesn't prompt you to install the hold when you buy it through the buy section is probably a bug.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Premier
Anarchist
Anarchist

Xephyr wrote:Black market stations can install smuggler's holds. You have to do it through dock services, though; in "Miscellanious devices", if you select the cargo hold slot, the option to install it will be there.

The fact that it doesn't prompt you to install the hold when you buy it through the buy section is probably a bug.
Yes, now I managed to do it through upgrades, but only at a loss as a had to sell back the one I already bought. But I still think that as long as it's listed as a purchasable item, it ought to be possible to install (at the station) one that you've already bought via the normal trading screen. Either that, or (admittedly worse option) it shouldn't appear as a buyable item when trading, since it's a useless money trap this way.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The new install services are not backwards compatible with old mod-ships. They can only install things from your hold, not from the shop unless those things are available for normal sale.

If you also can't upgrade your reactor at a corporate drydock that's probably your problem.
Literally is the new Figuratively