Auton limit

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
User avatar
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 pm
Location: Aboard the CSS Radiant

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:51 am

Hey guys! So I was thinking of doing a playthrough with the Constillation. Its pretty difficut but I think I will manage. So what is the auton limit in the Constillation? And is the cargo expandible? Also, any advice is welcome as always

User avatar
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:00 am

Cargo hold is locked to the Auton bay, so it can't be expanded beyond what you have at the start. There's no limit to how many Autons you can control, as far as I know.

If you want to use Autons in lategame, you'll probably need to buy Lumiere Battle Autons from a Corporate Trading Post. Even they aren't really capable of hurting some of the things you'll face later on, though.

You cannot uninstall equipment you install onto an auton, but weapons automatically replace, as do shields, so you'll get them back if you switch them out.
Last edited by JohnBWatson on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

NMS
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:26 am

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:04 am

The Constellation's cargo is currently not expandable because you can only have one cargo bay. I proposed changing that here.

I'm not aware of a limit on the number of autons, but I expect the game would run out of hotkeys to communicate with them after 35 or so (Q is used for squadron).

User avatar
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 pm
Location: Aboard the CSS Radiant

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks! That needs to be solved for sure, NMS. Also, what would you guys recommend for the only weapon slot? And how to call an auton back?

User avatar
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:17 am

TheLoneWolf wrote:Thanks! That needs to be solved for sure, NMS. Also, what would you guys recommend for the only weapon slot? And how to call an auton back?
A decent weapon that isn't much of an investment, which works well in unison with other such weapons.

I'd recommend a mix of Ares Positron Cannons and Ion Disruptors(both can be repaired with Longzhu Spheres, if you need more of them). If it works out well, you can cripple an enemy capital ship, then recall the autons and deal the finishing blow yourself, while its weapons are disabled.

If you want to keep your autons out, maybe toss some Ares Lightning turrets into the mix to easily kill the random encounters that show up to annoy you before they do any real damage. They do decent compartment damage too, so that's a plus.

User avatar
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 pm
Location: Aboard the CSS Radiant

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks again! Looks like the Constillation is more of a pain than E1500 freighter :D

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:51 pm

JohnBWatson wrote: I'd recommend a mix of Ares Positron Cannons and Ion Disruptors(both can be repaired with Longzhu Spheres, if you need more of them). If it works out well, you can cripple an enemy capital ship, then recall the autons and deal the finishing blow yourself, while its weapons are disabled.

If you want to keep your autons out, maybe toss some Ares Lightning turrets into the mix to easily kill the random encounters that show up to annoy you before they do any real damage. They do decent compartment damage too, so that's a plus.
Ares Positron Cannon has powerUse of 200 MW, and Ares Lightning Turret has powerUse of 100 MW. No auton can equip them, or anything at or exceeds 100 MW. Lumiere battle auton limit is 100 MW, and others have less.

If you really want a high-end weapon for a single auton, use Qianlong Archcannon. Antimatter damage, low powerUse, and uses charges instead of ammo. Only one in the game, and you need to go on a side-quest for it. Also needs longzhu spheres. (Also assumes Stars of the Pilgrim.)
Download and Play in 1.7 Beta...
Playership Drones v7 (Beta): Acquire and command almost any ship in Stars of the Pilgrim or Eternity Port.
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Relive classic arcade gaming in a new Transcendence adventure!
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.

User avatar
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 pm
Location: Aboard the CSS Radiant

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Autons can use ammo weapons? Why not get 30 autons, give them all a lancer cannon, and walk to a hoard of dwargs? :D

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:12 pm

You can install an ammo weapon on an auton, but it does no good because autons cannot carry ammo.

Qianlong Archcannon uses charges instead of ammo, and longzhu spheres recharge the weapon. Charges are part of the weapon itself, and does not draw ammo from the cargo hold. If you want to use Qianlong Archcannon on an auton, you will need to swap weapons periodically to recharge the weapon yourself.
Download and Play in 1.7 Beta...
Playership Drones v7 (Beta): Acquire and command almost any ship in Stars of the Pilgrim or Eternity Port.
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Relive classic arcade gaming in a new Transcendence adventure!
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.

User avatar
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:44 am

PM wrote:
JohnBWatson wrote: I'd recommend a mix of Ares Positron Cannons and Ion Disruptors(both can be repaired with Longzhu Spheres, if you need more of them). If it works out well, you can cripple an enemy capital ship, then recall the autons and deal the finishing blow yourself, while its weapons are disabled.

If you want to keep your autons out, maybe toss some Ares Lightning turrets into the mix to easily kill the random encounters that show up to annoy you before they do any real damage. They do decent compartment damage too, so that's a plus.
Ares Positron Cannon has powerUse of 200 MW, and Ares Lightning Turret has powerUse of 100 MW. No auton can equip them, or anything at or exceeds 100 MW. Lumiere battle auton limit is 100 MW, and others have less.
I really thought those used less power. Strange to think that the turrets around an Ares Commune use about as much power as a Deimos.

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:59 am

Ares Positron Cannon used to use 100 MW when it did 18 average damage per shot and no shield buster.
Download and Play in 1.7 Beta...
Playership Drones v7 (Beta): Acquire and command almost any ship in Stars of the Pilgrim or Eternity Port.
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Relive classic arcade gaming in a new Transcendence adventure!
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.

User avatar
Shrike
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2705
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 am
Location: Scouting the borders of sanity (there's a lovely view of the abyss).

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:11 am

Actually, there is a practical upper limit on autons. While there's no limit to the number you can deploy, past a certain number the order system will stop working on any autons you deploy after that point.


Generally, it's better to keep a reasonable-sized but not excessive swarm of about 10-15 autons at most going at any given time and keep the rest as spares for replacing the inevitable casualties.

(Edit: Also, use specialised autons for times when you need them, then recover them to prevent accidental deaths)
Your friendly local genderqueer weapons designer & forum moderator. My pronoun is "They".

User avatar
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 pm
Location: Aboard the CSS Radiant

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:54 am

Pentients are the real auton killers. And guys how do I stop my mules from rushing at the enemy with the rest of the swarm?

Mc2
Miner
Miner
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:56 am

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Make mules stay over safe place ((large planed, gate, not 100% safe) use transpace or gem and jump to Tan-Ru-Dorem 100% safe ) press C, chose mule, and order them to wait.

User avatar
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 pm
Location: Aboard the CSS Radiant

Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:18 pm

One does not simply, get Halo Gems.

Post Reply