How good is Duralloy?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Akright. I have two plates of Duralloy on the two forward segments of my Manticore. Rest is Novaya. I'm at Rigel. Should I grab a Shield (1T Quarsi pr R1 Deflector) or upgrade my other armours and stick with my +20% Novaya Armour Repairer? Btw I'm getting choice at heavy plasteel and mid novaya. I have about 6K credits. And enough time to search around fir other armours. Thanks in advance guys!
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Mid novaya's pretty good. Duralloy's also decent.

Ideally, you want one of the armors with +615% laser/kinetic resistance. You can afford them at this point.

The Manticore's gimmick(armor repairer) works better than a shield right now, as long as your armor is good. I didn't switch to a shield until late game.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Duralloy has....reasonable....resistance, but very low hitpoints. Personally, I would be looking for Blast Plate at this level, then trying to enhance it with either ablative paste or centauri nanos. But I don't play the Manticore a great deal....but since it's not very good at running away, I tend to prefer the high-HP armors for it.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Duralloy's regeneration is irrelevant compared to any other regeneration source. It's okay if you're in a non-manticore and plan on sitting around on stars or planets with a solar panel, but otherwise the regeneration may as well not be there.
Literally is the new Figuratively
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

TheLoneWolf wrote:Akright. I have two plates of Duralloy on the two forward segments of my Manticore. Rest is Novaya. I'm at Rigel. Should I grab a Shield (1T Quarsi pr R1 Deflector) or upgrade my other armours and stick with my +20% Novaya Armour Repairer? Btw I'm getting choice at heavy plasteel and mid novaya. I have about 6K credits. And enough time to search around fir other armours. Thanks in advance guys!
The Novaya repairer is going to outperform any vanilla/CC armor regeneration sources by the time you can actually buy and install them. I don't think that's because the repairer is amazing; it's more that we don't have more of a variety of armor repair devices to begin with.

Level 6 armor is much more resistant to damage than a level 6 or lower shield, and the Novaya repairer is also going to use less reactor power to repair level xx armor than a level xx shield would drain. Since the Manticore is so slow, I normally make armor upgrades my first priority and try to tank as much damage as possible. Blast plate would be the way to go at Rigel, followed by carbide carapace at St. Kat's if you can get it.

If you can't afford armor upgrades, you can still win the arena with lots of Stiletto missiles. I've beaten the arena starting with level 3 armor by holding down the weapon fire and missile fire keys and running toward the gladiator ship, then installing any higher level damaged armor I loot.