Upgrade path (St.K's)

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Sooo I reached St.K's today.
My configuration is:
Mid Novaya armor all around. Forward with laser reflect, mid with particle resistance, down with +40%hp
PK25 Morningstar (+10%) XRay Laser (+fast)
Armour Repairer (+20%)
Cannon accelerator (giving PK25 a +50%)

I have options to upgrade to a Lancer cannon and/or a Thorin 10.
Should I?
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Lancer can still kite and is still ludicrous against gunships, but isn't quite as deadly against stations and capital ships since the WMD change. X - ray +fast is probably enough for destroying any midgame gunships you come across, and is probably going to kill faster and more efficiently than lancer anyways.

Thorin 10 isn't all that useful in my experience. It may have a niche use I'm forgetting, but it's not incredible at any rate.

I'd prioritize upgrading your armor to something with better resistance, especially considering your use of a very short ranged WMD weapon. Medium Novaya isn't going to last very long past St. Kat's. You'll also want a more reliable source of WMD later on, unless you're planning to go without a howitzer as a challenge.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:Lancer can still kite and is still ludicrous against gunships, but isn't quite as deadly against stations and capital ships since the WMD change. X - ray +fast is probably enough for destroying any midgame gunships you come across, and is probably going to kill faster and more efficiently than lancer anyways.

Thorin 10 isn't all that useful in my experience. It may have a niche use I'm forgetting, but it's not incredible at any rate.

I'd prioritize upgrading your armor to something with better resistance, especially considering your use of a very short ranged WMD weapon. Medium Novaya isn't going to last very long past St. Kat's. You'll also want a more reliable source of WMD later on, unless you're planning to go without a howitzer as a challenge.
Akan shells are expensive :/ so I'm holding it off till Ranx start dropping in.
Should I get a shield? I haven't used my Hiro yet.
Thanks for the reply!
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I held off on a shield with my Manticore run until CSCs started giving free fuel. Better to spend the money on armor up until then, given the free and reasonably quick repairs. It's a shame the shield enhancer doesn't know what to do with the armor repairer - that's a known glitch.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thanks JBW!

What do you think of a Tritium(?) cannon?
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

The Tritium Cannon is not bad for short range Thermo damage. So if you like fighting at close range and can tank damage you'll be fine.
It does less damage per shot then the MK-V, but has a double the firerate to make up for that.
It does this however at the cost of more reactor power use then any other thermo weapon of the same level.
The MK-V howitzer has double the range of the Tritium
The Thermo Cannon has the same range, firerate and damage, but uses ammo. It barely uses any reactor power in exchange.
The Kiloton Cannon Has more range, uses less power and is a pain to use (finding ammo for it can be hard). Not recommended, but fun if you want to have a challenge

You did not specify your reactor capacity, but a tritium cannon will quickly drain the supply of anything less than a 250 MW reactor.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

TheLoneWolf wrote:Thanks JBW!

I never use it, and never use most Thermo weapon. I prefer to use Ion weapon and launcher with thermo missiles.
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

TheLoneWolf wrote:Thanks JBW!

It's effectively a weaker version of the Mk V Howitzer, but you could use a WMD weapon. If you can't find a Mk V, it's usable, but probably not worth the cost.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I’m a fan of the tritium cannon, personally. I’ll take it over a Mark V every time, and for two major reasons: First, I hate recoil (I can never seem to properly compensate for it, so once I take one shot with it, the rest of a fight is pretty well screwed until I start getting hull alarms and have to turn tail); second, its rate of fire allows it to serve as impromptu PD under the right conditions (Yes, I shamelessly kite, what of it? <.< >.> <.<; ) while still getting shots through to do damage.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thanks for all the replies, guys!
I already got the Tritium cannon, sooo cheers!

What about Cellaroy? I got Advanced Cellaroy. Is it any good?
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

TheLoneWolf wrote:What about Cellaroy? I got Advanced Cellaroy. Is it any good?
Only if you don't mind that it is vulnerable for radiation. All other armors of the same level are radiation immune. Other than that it is pretty decent.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ferdinand wrote:
TheLoneWolf wrote:What about Cellaroy? I got Advanced Cellaroy. Is it any good?
Only if you don't mind that it is vulnerable for radiation. All other armors of the same level are radiation immune. Other than that it is pretty decent.
IA don't mind :D
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

TheLoneWolf wrote:Thanks for all the replies, guys!
I already got the Tritium cannon, sooo cheers!

What about Cellaroy? I got Advanced Cellaroy. Is it any good?
Sapiens doesn't prove to be a threat due uncommon after Sanctuary. If you have a nice shield, then you should not to worry.
Click this link!
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

DigaRW wrote:Sapiens doesn't prove to be a threat due uncommon after Sanctuary. If you have a nice shield, then you should not to worry.
TheLoneWolf flies a Manticore. Probably without a shield because of the armour repairer and the penalty a shield gets on the Manticore. So a stray hit from an Actinide Waste Cannon or Reaper missile could be deadly, unless he has borocarbide coating (applied by Tinkers after decontamination) or lots of decon gel barrels.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ferdinand wrote: TheLoneWolf flies a Manticore. Probably without a shield because of the armour repairer and the penalty a shield gets on the Manticore. So a stray hit from an Actinide Waste Cannon or Reaper missile could be deadly, unless he has borocarbide coating (applied by Tinkers after decontamination) or lots of decon gel barrels.
Oh, I see.
But I suggest find at least blast plate, it is enough to survive in Ungoverned territories.
Click this link!