No targetting rom *sighs*

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Burzmali wrote: Let me guess, when you play a wizard in nethack you restart and restart until your initial equipment contains a spellbook of identify and the ring that prevents hunger. :roll:
I've never played Nethack and know nothing about it.
OddBob wrote:I am fairly certain that betelgeuse is right. You only need a SRS enhance so that waypoints can show up.
If this be true, then there's a bug in the missions--especially the Slaver convoy and Ares Communes missions, since both will show up in the targeting window. You'll see the Commune as soon as you undock and the Slaver freighter as soon as it enters the system. There's others as well....Point Juno--Ares fleet and Cometfall leaders.

Anyway, the reason why I rely on the Targeting ROM is because without it, I cannot get past the Dwarg Masters. I have to target them with tracking missiles (or Cnydosist) in order to kill 'em. I also rely on it for sniping and recon. But then, I have my own style of game play just as I would assume that everyone here does as well. So, some of you may not need the ROM and the same could apply to shields as well. Some prefer using Worldship armor while others may rely on the best shield they can get. And I can bet that overall, many games either had to restart or resurrect because certain items could not be found. Any takers?

And I'll agree. The Targeting ROM should not be a given but it could be an option via reward or whatever and it would still be up to the player to choose it or not.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

FAD wrote:And I'll agree. The Targeting ROM should not be a given but it could be an option via reward or whatever and it would still be up to the player to choose it or not.
Like say, being able to order it from the Corporate Trading Post?

And if a Corporate Trading Post doesn't generate in your game, beat the game without a targeting ROM (or any of the other goodies a CTP offers) and come back here and brag. Actually winning a game without a targeting ROM and CTPs without rezzing has got to qualify for EPIC win status.
Psycholis
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

i think the farthest i've ever played without the targetting rom is the first or second system where you encounter communes. mind you this was 0.97 before all the new ares ships. it's possible, but probably more frustrating and time consuming than anything else.. i'm not a good enough aimer/flyer to play without it, and doing those types of tactics with the freighter is next to impossible.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Psycholis wrote:i'm not a good enough aimer/flyer to play without it, and doing those types of tactics with the freighter is next to impossible.
Have you lost your Wolfen and Sapphire then?
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Burzmali wrote: Like say, being able to order it from the Corporate Trading Post?
Not exactly. I was thinking more on the lines with the Agri station's "Save our hides for $5000" mission, but to have it offer a choice for either the 5K or the targeting ROM. Since the ROMs value is only $300 credits, it could make the player think which is needed most while remaining as an option. I see nothing wrong with something like that but I can't see having to go through several systems past St. K's in hopes of finding a CTP just to order a single level 3 ROM.

And if you really want something to brag about, try beating the Iocrym without any shield installed. Now that's major epic winning status for ya.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

FAD wrote:And if you really want something to brag about, try beating the Iocrym without any shield installed. Now that's major epic winning status for ya.
Jumpdrive + Patience to wait out 500 QSD rounds = easy win
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

:lol: Now that's just plain cheating! Well, not really but it ain't nothing to brag about either. :P
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I can confirm that you don't need a targeting ROM for mil missions as I have just completed the convoy intercept without one. The target simply doesn't show up in your targeting area, the arrow is still present however.

Just hit post St K's in a no targeting ROM game - no CW station either (actually in my last 10 games no CW stations between Eridani and St. K's - however, a Mammoth 25MW and an AKan 20 in Charon bases just after Rigel. )

EDIT: found one two minutes after making the post - mining base in Humbolt.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Since the targetting IS so important; I think there should be a ROM in the game that cancels out the targetting one; like the defective ROM that cancels the Visual Enhancement. :twisted:
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Or a cyberattack that kills it. :twisted:

Another option is that you can have a few grades of ROM:

Every ship gets a basic system that lets them target navbeacons and mission targets. This will make it easier if no ROM is generated.

Then, using a targeting software upgrade once will get you what you have now.
Use a second one and you can target nearest hostile.
Use a third one and you get a lead indicator in front of the targeted ship.
Use a fourth one (at any point in this scale you might have to start using military software upgrades) and you get the lead on your LRS, as well as a targeting line on your LRS.

Furhter ROMS could be things like targeting more than one target, auto target switching, targeting missiles that are tracking you, targeting your target's attacker, etc.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

OddBob wrote:Or a cyberattack that kills it. :twisted:
:lol:
I guess have to be careful not to make the game TOO frustrating, else nobody will play it.
- - - - -
Although, I have to admit, I played Wizardry IV for hundreds of hours and never did manage to beat it; even with step by step walkthroughs and numerous cheats.
It is absurdly hard to get anywhere in it and absurdly easy to get killed. :D
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Add defenses against cyberattacks and it's not totally unreasonable that a cyber attack might knock your software levels down a bit if you weren't prepared.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I would like it if the targeting ROM targeted bases first also. Its hard when you are desparately trying to target that sung base with the ferrian colony next to it...

Besides scrolling through three bases (and you should know the number of bases around) to find the nearest ship isn't nearly as bad as scrolling through tonnes of nearest ships to find the three bases.
kaypy
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I would like it if the targeting ROM targeted bases first also. Its hard when you are desparately trying to target that sung base with the ferrian colony next to it...
Or a command to target the next type of critter (theres normally only three or four classes of ships around)
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I like the targeting ROM, but it is by no means vital. all I use it for is checking enemy health. part of that may come from an ingrained dislike of all omis except for the IM90. I also hate ammo weapons except for the ares launcher. that is in no small part due to the fact that i was never a good shot and tracking missiles are too rare.