A possibly dumb question about Armour...

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Red
Miner
Miner

I have the chance (with a lot of penny scratching) to by some Iocrym armour and I was wondering if it was worth the Rin. It seems good hit point wise and powers wise but I have no past experience with it and not enough room in my cargo hold to keep my old armour so I would be needing to commit to it fully if I buy it.

So I was wondering about all of your thoughts and past experiences with this armour pretty please!
Life isn't worth living without a little passion - Red
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Was destroyed by a Phobos-class dreadnought in the Eridani system

You will meet the Iocrym later in the game, at which point you can just fight them and loot their armor instead of buying it for Rin. I have never spent any Rin on buying armor.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Yeah. Base game Iocrym are nowhere near balanced - they're very slow and have no weaponry with range beyond the immediate front of their ships. You can basically rush to Heretic and kill a few of them for enough credits/rin for anything in the game.
Red
Miner
Miner

Easy to kill? From what I remember about the Iocrym the last and only time I made it to the Galactic Core was that they were slow and that is the only reason I survived. I spent the entirety of the game running away and in the end unable to actually stay long enough in a single location to finish!

Maybe I was just under gunned but... :shock: easy doesn't really come to mind!
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Red wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:51 am
Easy to kill? From what I remember about the Iocrym the last and only time I made it to the Galactic Core was that they were slow and that is the only reason I survived. I spent the entirety of the game running away and in the end unable to actually stay long enough in a single location to finish!

The command ship is a threat, if you don't have disintegrate - immune armor. The sentinel drones are just slow moving and short ranged, with no ability to hit a target lazily drifting away from them.
Red
Miner
Miner

JohnBWatson wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:21 am
Red wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:51 am

The command ship is a threat, if you don't have disintegrate - immune armor. The sentinel drones are just slow moving and short ranged, with no ability to hit a target lazily drifting away from them.
I will have to get some disintegrate - immune armour as the last time I had some sort of thermo resistant blast plate or something - it was a while ago!
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Red wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:36 am
I will have to get some disintegrate - immune armour as the last time I had some sort of thermo resistant blast plate or something - it was a while ago!
You don't really need disintegrate-immune armour if you equip a longreach and decent shield. A high level shield with plasma resistance and a couple of diamond field crystals will be enough for you to not worry about the Iocrym and blast the hell out of the command ship with a load of missiles, nukes or other endgame weaponry. Just make sure that you have at least level 9 but preferably better armour, otherwise you will be toast if your shield drops.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I consider light Iocrym armor the best in the game for being light and having good durability, but patcher arms (and Novaya repairer) do not work on them. Patch spiders will work, though. They can farmed from Sentinels, but if you want the armor early enough, spending rin for it is not a problem.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Red
Miner
Miner

Well as I lost my last game and am now starting over - I am saving up shield and weapon enhancers like they are gold bars and hopefully once I get to the end game I will have enough to really enhance some of my stuff.

What is the main weapon in the last stages - plasma or thermo? The last time I played all the way to the end (2014 sometime) it seemed mostly thermo but just wanted to check so I am prepared!

And I wanted to thank you all for being so helpful! Best forum ever!
erwgd
Miner
Miner

Both plasma and thermo weapons are suitable for the endgame. There aren't any enhancers for plasmas but they do well without them.
I personally like to use the advanced tritium cannon; it has a great rate of fire while still doing decent WMD damage, and the overheating is easily controlled, so it isn't much of an issue unless you're trying to kill stations with it. It's level 9 though, so finding it is difficult.
Red
Miner
Miner

erwgd wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:48 pm
Both plasma and thermo weapons are suitable for the endgame. There aren't any enhancers for plasmas but they do well without them.
I personally like to use the advanced tritium cannon; it has a great rate of fire while still doing decent WMD damage, and the overheating is easily controlled, so it isn't much of an issue unless you're trying to kill stations with it. It's level 9 though, so finding it is difficult.
Thanks! Yeah I tend to get stuck on something like level eight armour and weapons which is a little bit of a pain but I find that enough enhancers help! :p
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Plasmas cannot be enhanced, and are usually underpowered even without considering that. A thermo howitzer can be taken up to +150% with tritium injectors, and then further enhanced with a speedloader(plus a lithium booster if you're running CC). The exception is the Ares Plasma Archcannon, which is excellent against anything that requires WMD damage. The Lamplighter is also viable nowadays, since it's recieved a significant buff.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

In MY experiences, I Have purchased some high level armours, but I stopped doing that because those same armours are available in both kills & station loot ( as I learned )

However, a Heavy Launcher, Longreach Autocannon & a Tev9 ( or IM90) with reasonable cover / keeping distance, you can take out the Iocrym.

My first "win" was in the Freighter : I sat on the star plinking Iocrym w/ a Tev9 to get the ROMs, then KM500s , Longreach Autocannon & an IM90 against the ICS......wasn't glorious doing it and it took forever - but it can be done.

My usual Armour choices for high levels are the Diamond Lattice or light Iocrym .....failing that I use Ares equipment if I absolutely have to.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

JohnBWatson wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:19 pm
Plasmas cannot be enhanced, and are usually underpowered even without considering that. A thermo howitzer can be taken up to +150% with tritium injectors, and then further enhanced with a speedloader(plus a lithium booster if you're running CC). The exception is the Ares Plasma Archcannon, which is excellent against anything that requires WMD damage. The Lamplighter is also viable nowadays, since it's recieved a significant buff.
All weapons, shields and armour can be enhanced +20% or +40% by using the ingenuity Domina power. This includes Plasma weapons and launchers.

As for taking down the Iocrym (in vanilla without mods), I have used several weapons for that, including The Rasiermesser Ion9, rasiermesser launcher with Gotha missiles, (omni) Thermo cannon, Heavy Nami launcher with whatever missiles were available for it, Nami launcher with Lucifer missiles; Taikon TM7 multitarget cannon, Taikon IM90, Ares launcher with nukes and warhammers, EI Plasma cannon and the Lamplighter. All of those in random setups of at least two of them, preferably with different damage types. I have never used the Ares Plasma Archcannon or any Positron weapon for defeating the Iocrym.

As for armour, Taikon octocarbide; diamond lattice; heavy Ithalium; Neutronium and light Iocrym are my favourites

I usually hope to find a Taikon 200 shield, but will gladly use High level Nephren or Iocrym shields as well