[General] Colosseum how to

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

This is concerning how to survive the onslaught of the various ships used in the Colosseum.

What are the minimum requirements/skills needed to complete this tournament?

-I believe that the class III deflector, reactive armor, and a particle cannon can do it.

What are good
My settings:
-So far I believe I had used a Solon Shield Generator (laser immune) as a means to defend myself against the four turbo laser cannons of the Tripoli-class destroyer. It has enough shielding power to defend against missile attacks, but try to destroy the missiles instead.
-For armor I don't think it's necessary if you have a good shield, but aim for particle or laser resistant armor. Make sure that you have some hitpoints to take blast damage from missiles.
-For weapons, A particle cannon is what I believe to be the minimum to take down the major shielding of the opponents. Turbo laser might do ok. The AK15 cannon seems to pack a punch as well. Anything lower than that will act as fly swatters to rats. If you have a nami missile launcher, use longbows at the same time as your other weapons.

Most difficult enemy: The one before the last one, a penitent ship? It has THE most annoying shield. It takes very long to bring it down. Not only that, but its weapon can seriously take down your shield in relatively short ease. Be wary of its missiles.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I generally agree with what you said with my only disagreement is the weapon set up.
The particle cannon is an overly expensive weapon for what it does plus it is a single shot weapon making it much harder to intercept incoming fire.
I like the omni turbo laser or the dual turbo laser for the arena (better weapons will work to). The main thing is to keep the shots hitting you to a minimum. (having laser immune stuff makes the Tripoli a joke)
For the freighter you might want to have drives to help acceleration.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Yes, I agree that the particle cannon is expensive. The omni turbo laser or dual turbo laser might be cheaper and still be effective enough to take most enemies down. However, would it be good against the penitent shielding?

Another tip, try not to go near the walls. You may get stuck, and if there are no wrecks around, you may be stuck like that forever. I tried on this version and luckily came out alive though. But the opposite can be said for the enemy.

Lure the enemy into the wall, where they could get stuck. Then concentrate your firepower on that one spot once the ship is immobilized.

When in doubt, use the stadium as a shield against attacks. You may want to invoke Domina's power of shielding in case things gets too drastic (although maybe Domina should stay out of the colosseum, like saying 'do not use my powers for wealth' or something like that).

Missiles are slow enough to react to and shoot at.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You can defeat the entire arena with an omni turbo without even moving.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Any kind of onmi-weapon will easily beat the Tripoli, simply because the poor moron's missiles won't reach you.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You don't get stuck on arena walls anymore; George fixed that bug.

I'd agree that a class III is the minimum shield. But you don't need more than a dual laser (not even collimated) to take down any of the ships in the arena. The tripoli is the toughest, and that can be solved by doing the following:

Take down it's shields. Get around behind it and keep up steady fire on the aft section. No missiles will hit, and you're in the blind spot for laser fire. When it reaches a wall, it will turn and bounce. Do the same, and stay behind it. Doesn't take very long for it to die.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The best weapon I usually have for the tripoli is the dual laser cannon. with that weapon you can beat down the frags with the dual laser cannon. For the penitent ship I usually have a regular omni laser. If you have pre-S100 shields, the omni-laser may help to keep the tripoli's shields down while you regenerate your own.

With the blind-laser spot you can take it with a class II i think.