Possibility for private games?

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Sereg Anfaug
Anarchist
Anarchist

Any chance this will be implemented during the Alpha?

I feel like it's not even worth my time to play right now, since no matter what I do, existing empires will completely crush me out of existence, and all the work and time I put it comes to nothing. If I could set up a private universe, similar to the single player mode in previous versions of Anacreon, or at least play a closed game where everyone starts at the same time and doesn't have a huge advantage over new players, I'd be alot happier with this.
thebigbrainiac
Anarchist
Anarchist

I also would like private games/single player scenarios like in the original. It would be fun if a couple of friends could play together (fosters diplomacy, for instance). That said, I don't think it is impossible for a new player to enter into Anacreon and at least get a good foothold. It is true that there are a few large (huge) empires in existence, but if they are not malevolent (of which not all of them are) being near to them won't be a huge detriment. Secondly, there are still expanses on the map where there are either no empires, or only empires which are small/inactive. Being near these would not be detrimental either, give them a small berth and wait until they autoabdicate.

Of course, nothing would turn off a new/first-time player more than spawning on the border of one of the bigger, less-friendly empires and seeing their first day or two's efforts wiped clean from the map as soon as someone's starships can be moved into place. Thus, to "try out" the game, a smaller, private game could be more fun/useful.

At least, that is my take on the current Anacreon situation.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Yes, this is definitely something I'm designing for. You will be able to create your own scenarios, upload them to the server, and play with a set of friends (or just solo). Most likely I will encourage new players to try a solo scenario (like a tutorial) before trying out in the big galaxy. But I want to make more progress on the game itself before tackling this. This will probably happen late in the beta cycle or even after 1.0.

BTW: I also made a change recently that penalizes large empires from making unprovoked attacks on smaller empires. This should help the smaller empires to grow.