Alpha 5

General discussion for the game Anacreon
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Alpha 5 has been deployed to the server. Here is the list of fixes:

http://anacreon.kronosaur.com/doc_versionHistory.hexm

Thanks, Hussell, for posting about auto-balancing of industry. That prompted me and helped me to make some of these improvements. In particular, worlds will now auto-balance their production of resources based on internal and external demand [Thus you don't have to worry about setting percent production for consumer goods worlds.]
starxplor
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Thanks for getting this out, especially the foundation world and resource balancing fixes!

[Edit]
Quick question though, where do we go to set our Doctrine? I thought it would be something from the capital planet, but I do not see any way to set it there. Am I being unobservant?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

starxplor wrote:Thanks for getting this out, especially the foundation world and resource balancing fixes!

[Edit]
Quick question though, where do we go to set our Doctrine? I thought it would be something from the capital planet, but I do not see any way to set it there. Am I being unobservant?
Click on the "Empires" tab on your capital.

Sorry, I should have said that (and I need to make it more obvious).
Hussell
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

On the version history, there's an error on the line "Slow fleets (Unexpected character: '<'."

The map snapshot appears to have stopped working on Firefox. It was working yesterday.

For rebellions: is that the amount of time the rebellion has been ongoing, or the amount of time the rebellion is expected to last? If the former, perhaps "elapsed rebellion duration", else "predicted rebellion duration"?

The world icons all seem a bit smaller. Not yet sure whether I like that or not. The additional colors are brilliant, though. Helps a lot, especially when zoomed out. Maybe take that even further, with more colors than just unit-producing-blue and other-white?

The auto-balancing for autofaqs seems to be working nicely. I haven't found any shortages caused by the changes, and a few problems I hadn't got around to dealing with have fixed themselves. Changing defense levels is still a pain, though, especially if you want to increase one by more than 10%.

Am I evil for wanting a way to cut loose surplus worlds now? Especially worlds conquered in distant regions, since the quickest way to eliminate an opponent is to conquer all his sector capitals and his capital, but you don't necessarily want to keep all those worlds. Also, a way to reduce the tech level of a world, to lower luxury demand and allow lower-tech ships to be produced. (Why can component autofacs produce lower-level components, but yards can't produce lower-level ships?) I kind of feel bad for wanting to suppress the native tech level, but it would certainly be useful in some situations.
starxplor
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:
starxplor wrote:Thanks for getting this out, especially the foundation world and resource balancing fixes!

[Edit]
Click on the "Empires" tab on your capital.

Sorry, I should have said that (and I need to make it more obvious).
On the Empire tab, i see a grey square next to my name as well as worlds and population totals, tech level, and imperial might on the left and a list of total ships on the right. I see nothing showing current doctrine, nor how to change it.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

You almost certainly need to refresh your browser. The browser has all the old code cached, which is why you're not seeing it. Try refreshing a few times until you see it. Let me know if that works.
starxplor
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:You almost certainly need to refresh your browser. The browser has all the old code cached, which is why you're not seeing it. Try refreshing a few times until you see it. Let me know if that works.
Now I feel stupid, heh. Normal reload(button and ctrl-r) was not refreshing page code, ctrl-shift-r did the trick.

Sorry to take up your time for something like this.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

starxplor wrote:Now I feel stupid, heh. Normal reload(button and ctrl-r) was not refreshing page code, ctrl-shift-r did the trick.

Sorry to take up your time for something like this.
No problem at all. I'm investigating ways to make this better. There is probably some header that I can send in the HTTP response that forces a cache invalidation.
Hussell
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I'm not sure if this is related to the update or not, but I've been unable to connect to anacreon.kronosaur.com today.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Hussell wrote:I'm not sure if this is related to the update or not, but I've been unable to connect to anacreon.kronosaur.com today.
Apologies for that.

I had an unexpected (and poorly timed) hardware/networking problem. It should be back up now.
Hussell
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Yup, back up.

Also, I figured out the rebellion duration thing. I have a world that's been in continuous civil war for 43 cycles. It's an infantry academy.