Defenses

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Miguk
Anarchist
Anarchist

• Defenses are a lot more effective in Beta. Even a big fleet of jumpships will suffer heavy casualties attacking a world defended by HEL cannons and satellites, just like it should.

• In the old game, GDMs were devastating against low-tech attackers and forced high-tech attackers to spend a couple of turns neutralizing them, exposing them to other attacks. Now GDMs are useless because the Stinger jumpship is so easy to build even at low tech and (as far as I can tell) it shoots down 100% of incoming missiles.

• Independent worlds that have no hexacarbide (like primordial worlds) cannot build any other defenses than GDMs. TL9-10 worlds usually have virtually no defenses. I guess that they probably are using up all their industry just to make luxuries. Maybe independent worlds should be able to cheat and build defenses for free?

• In the old Anacreon there were situations where you could get your transports to the surface and take over the planet while still leaving a large part of the defenses intact. Is this possible now? Maybe there could be another class of transport that carries fewer troops but is manueverable enough to have a chance of landing even with the defenses shooting at it.

• What exactly are the trade-offs between the different kinds of defenses? I understand that missiles are better against starships and weaker against jumpships, but what’s the difference between HEL cannons or plasma towers and satellites?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Good feedback--thank you!

1. I agree with you about GDMs. There is also currently a bug in which GDMs don't launch properly (never get off the ground).
2. I like the idea of conquering a world without first destroying its defenses. I agree that possibly a new kind of transport should be able to do it. There should obviously be a trade-off and/or a counter, of course.
3. The main different between the defenses is the tech level and resources required to build them. Plasma towers, for instance, can only be built on level 8 worlds.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote:Good feedback--thank you!

1. I agree with you about GDMs. There is also currently a bug in which GDMs don't launch properly (never get off the ground).
2. I like the idea of conquering a world without first destroying its defenses. I agree that possibly a new kind of transport should be able to do it. There should obviously be a trade-off and/or a counter, of course.
3. The main different between the defenses is the tech level and resources required to build them. Plasma towers, for instance, can only be built on level 8 worlds.
It would also be cool to have the ability to raid worlds without conquering them- send in tightly clustered transports on really high angles of incidence so that they are only exposed to a portion of the defenses, but can only able to destroy one structure or carry away some quantity of resources because they are landing in a small area. Alternatively, there could be some analogue to the HKs from old Anacreon.