My biggest gripes with Anacreon

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

One thihg that I should really appreciate it's the possibility of edit a brief description of every planet!

This should encourage every player to create an interesting idea of his empire.

The risk is that the galaxy will be filled of silly messages but it is possible even now with the planets' name and after all I think should be very funny. It should give more interest in exploration and it will offer clues about the personality of the emperor and his diplomatic style.
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

True!* "Mandalor, home of the 7-and-a-half fluffy pink dragon lords" would add quite a bit of helpless giggling to my playing. (No offense, Lord Mandalor. :wink:) It would also be cool to see a little history attached to each planet as well, like saying "UX 9374 was owned by Bismalia until it broke free and was recaptured by the Republic of Reason". This could preserve a bit of the galaxy's rich, complicated, and confusing history to confuse newbs even more. :wink:

Three things I miss from the downloadable version are startransports, gates/warp points, and automated trade fleets. Currently, you have to set your doctrine to fire and movement until you get a reliable jumpyard, and then you can only move one infantry brigade per ships (the startransports could carry five). I also mourn the loss of the trade flexibility/automation of instant transport of goods/ships and being able to tell a fleet to ship trillum to an out-of-the-way barren planet to keep it alive without having to be on 24/7.

*(Though considering the numbers of dirty-minded high-schoolers and the recent naming trend for new empires, I approach that with a little reluctance.)
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yeah, at some point there was mention of gates and other megaconstructions being part of an expansion or something but Anacreon's really on the back burner. Personally I also miss outposts, mines and disrupters, HKs and penetrators (stealth ships), hostile worlds (alien legions!), gas giants and other worlds with interesting bonuses, industrial complexes, ambrosia...
Wayward Device
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Finnian wrote:One thihg that I should really appreciate it's the possibility of edit a brief description of every planet!

The risk is that the galaxy will be filled of silly messages but it is possible even now with the planets' name and after all I think should be very funny. It should give more interest in exploration and it will offer clues about the personality of the emperor and his diplomatic style.
Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:Yeah, at some point there was mention of gates and other megaconstructions being part of an expansion or something but Anacreon's really on the back burner. Personally I also miss outposts, mines and disrupters, HKs and penetrators (stealth ships), hostile worlds (alien legions!), gas giants and other worlds with interesting bonuses, industrial complexes, ambrosia...
I want all of these so badly. One of the things I love is looking at the galaxy and seeing its history in the world names. You can see the hazy outlines of ancient conflicts and half told stores. A log of notes on worlds would only add to that. Interesting worlds, particularly Ambrosia, would really add a lot. If Ambrosia worlds were 1 in 100 (so about 50 in the current galaxy) it would give real strategic goals, not to mention an endless source of Dune puns. All the megaconstructions too, especially Gates.
6cef
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Wayward Device wrote:
Finnian wrote:One thihg that I should really appreciate it's the possibility of edit a brief description of every planet!

ugh. i mean, i hear ya. but re the notes, there was one guy who named his world "este ereto penis" which apparently means "this erect penis" in portuguese. i can only imagine the ridiculous and potentially patently offensive things people would write in descriptions. so, there's not a risk, there's a reality.

personally, i'd prefer a dwarf fortress style of history creation, where it's all automatic, and you could potentially review the history of worlds through some kind of galactic archive or something. you could make that history into a perk that foundations grant or something. like they slowly discover the history of worlds they're connected to?
Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:Yeah, at some point there was mention of gates and other megaconstructions being part of an expansion or something but Anacreon's really on the back burner. Personally I also miss outposts, mines and disrupters, HKs and penetrators (stealth ships), hostile worlds (alien legions!), gas giants and other worlds with interesting bonuses, industrial complexes, ambrosia...
i dunno... there are so many game balance issues right now, from mesophon trading to the uselessness of missiles to how OP gorgos are. might be better to get things as they are refined, and then add one thing at a time and see what works and what doesn't.