STARGAZER BULLETIN

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Wayward Device
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Actually, the Terran Empire has continued to expand and is now the second most powerful empire in the Galaxy. It's crushed almost a half dozen pocket empires and taken over a large chunk of continuous territory in the South. It's got more Eldritch Jumships the Felor and Finnian fleets combined. So that's something.

Oh, and JOY (or was it BLISS, I always got them confused) seems to have abdicated about a week ago. I've been expanding into some of their old territory, but there is a fair bit of space in the North West.
Nova Andromeda wrote:You could stress test it with the help of another couple big empires. Put together 3 gigantic mixed fleets and throw them all into one system at the same time. Record how the game performs and what if anything breaks.
I don't know about that, but here's what about 15 million ships in one system looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/C1ARr1n.png

They orbit like normal, then every five seconds or so they lag and jump back a bit. Nothing odd apart from that.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

In combat where truly gigantic fleets are involved, the combat screen shows only the ships in the leading edges of the wings firing. Since wings are rectangular and get anchored to the orbital at their front edge, the ships in the trailing edges of big wings end up so far above the orbital plane that their cannons can be far out of range of the target.

I don't know if this is actually what's going on behind the scenes in terms of combat number crunching - that is, I don't know if these ships are actually unable to fire - but that's how it's displayed in the combat visualization. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Curving wings to match the orbital plane would make more logical sense; in reality I don't think a fleet of ships could orbit at different altitudes like this while maintaining the same velocity. I think the real issue is that George didn't expect for games to run long enough for players to amass these insanely gigantic fleets, and rectangular wings are good enough at most scales.
Nova Andromeda
Anarchist
Anarchist

I would guess that what you in combat on the screen mirrors the actual mechanic of combat. That is to say, wings should definitely be curved in future iterations. I'd also like to see some ability to scroll through all the wings. Currently, you can only see the top few - at least for me - at least when I wasn't 'ancient ruins'.
Aureo-Oreo
Miner
Miner

Wait so I am the only playing Anacreon like that one facebook farming game?
I took a calculated risk, but man, am I bad at math.
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I play anacreon everyday! :mrgreen:
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Nova Andromeda
Anarchist
Anarchist

I just had a new idea:

What if you couldn't attack anyone with less than 75% your total actions where an action is equal to a command given in game (or weighted actions - some actions are more important than others). This way rich retired programmers that play 18/24 hrs per day can't squash the poor programming mom with 2.3 kids that only plays 1 hr per week.
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:| this seem a good idea. I agree with your opinion
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Nova Andromeda
Anarchist
Anarchist

Any updates on the current state in Beta? Any galactic maps to share?
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

A good idea, Nova. :) And sorry, but I don't think anyone's computer is powerful enough to compile a galactic map (Lady Oreo's might be able to, but I'm not sure).
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Wayward Device
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

"Listen close sentients, robots and unbound artificial consciousness' and I shall weave mind-images for you using the most powerful multimedia device known, your imagination."
Polaron Valdelf, Anchor, Republic of Reason News Service

As of the Cycle 4530 the Galaxy is undergoing something of a renaissance. While many ancient powers have withered away over the last hundred cycles newcomers have begun to spring up to take their place, some growing with astonishing rapidity. Whether any of these new upstarts can stand the test of time and build an empire to unite the Galaxy once and for all is yet to be determined. There have been many small border wars, particularly in the Galactic South East, mainly involving by far the most successful of the new powers, the Terran Empire. RoR analysts believe that over the last 40 cycles the Terrans, who presumably claim kinship to the ancient cradle of Humanity as have so many before them, have defeated between 6 and 12 smaller empires in what this news outlet is confident historians will come to refer to as the Terran Unification Wars.

The current Superpower is still the Republic of Reason. With over 900 worlds and a fleet of 7 million Eldritch Jumpships, 31 million Helions and nearly 4 million Gorgos Starfrigates to provide Cluster security the RoR outguns every other empire combined several times over. With little need of further expansion and unthreatened by rivals over the last few decacycles the RoR has focused on securing it's borders, improving its economic efficiency and offering aid to smaller powers.

The next most powerful empire is the Terran Empire. Although it is only 46 cycles old it has grown to over 500 worlds. It is an orderly power, using the industrial capacity of many Clusters to support a fleet of over 5 million Eldritch Jumpships, equaling all the empires smaller than it in jumpships. It is also the only empire to maintain a large number of Undine Jumpcruisers, a ship type historically disdained in the Galaxy. Will this turn out to be a blunder or a strategic coup? An aggressive empire noted for it's lightning style of warfare, even in a Galaxy jaded to the speed of jumpship first strikes, it has won all of the wars it has fought in recent history, with Kabosu being the only young power able to force the Terrans to at least a draw, albeit with a significant loss of territory. Although Primarily based in the East it has a newly completed cluster in the West, making the Terrans a truly Pan-Galactic power. Certainly an empire to watch out for.

Next are the Finnians. Although not as powerful as in past cycles the Finnians have refocused their strength in the North while still maintaining scattered holding throughout the Galaxy. With 300 worlds, a fleet using a mix of starships of many types, a jumpfleet of 1.5 million Eldritchs and an extensive diplomatic and spy net they are still a force to be reckoned with.

The Felor are in a similar position to the Finnians, although they have more worlds than them at 450 they have not consolidated their old power and their territory is starting to fray at the edges, even in their extensive holdings in the Utter North East. Though much reduced from the height of their ancient power they still posses extensive forces. This, coupled with the Felor peoples experience with long wars of attrition and rugged mesh net trade network should not be underestimated.

In the Far South there are many upstart empires struggling for supremacy. At the forefront of the effort with 100 worlds and an impressive 2.5 million Eldritch Jumpships is Kabosu, the only empire in existence to have fought the Terran Empire and survived. Chaos Undevided and the Klingon Empire make up the next two regional powers with 46 and 20 worlds respectively while the NEWBIE empire struggles to find its place with only 10 worlds. It is unknown at this time whether any of these lesser powers can challenge Kabosu for dominance in the Far South.

In the West, Starcorp has built a Cluster of 17 worlds in only 3 cycles and is still expanding. Further to the North West the empire of Scot sits next to the Western RoR Clusters with 16 worlds. Finally, in the Utter North West the empires of King and Henry VIII have 15 and 25 worlds respectively.

*End RoR News Broadcast*
Wayward Device
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Aureo-Oreo
Miner
Miner

catfighter wrote:A good idea, Nova. :) And sorry, but I don't think anyone's computer is powerful enough to compile a galactic map (Lady Oreo's might be able to, but I'm not sure).
I tried with Alpha map once but it was just sections of screen shots neatly pieced together with Photoshop.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Yes, most of us could probably piecemeal the thing with a bit of patience; I meant compilation via the galaxy button in the top-left toolbar.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Aureo-Oreo
Miner
Miner

Well sorry to disappoint you but I can't compile it either
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Oh well. :(