Galactic History?

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Imperator
Anarchist
Anarchist

I was wondering about the events that have transpired in the galaxy from the period I left until now. Reading through the old Barricades posts, it seems very interesting - a, galactic war, a spy in the alliance, a rogue "Commonwealth" empire making a suicide attack on Bismalia, the fall of the Human Imperium etc. Just asking if someone could fill me in on the details of what exactly happened back then? :mrgreen: Thanks! It would also be interesting to have a record of major battles, rise and fall of empires and such.
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Once Upon a time in the north west of the Galaxy there were 5 or 6 empires: Azerona, the great Sentient Core, the Silent Core, The Ashes of Aelion, The Ancient Federation of Sporatha and some Hub of the Mesophon Traders as allways. It was a peaceful spot of the universe but one day a new empire born in the zone: The Lagondany Empire

This young empire started to create chaos breaking the balance created in so many cycles. He attacked both Azerona and Sporatha but very early Lord Lagondany understand that the empires he has attacked are not abandoned.

A great Army from Azerona comes to destroy him.

Seeing that a lot of troops are moving, Sentient Core attack both Lagondany and Azerona destroying them.

And some cycle later Ashes of Aelion invaded Sentient Core destroying him.

Some cycle later the new born Human Empire attack and destroy Ashes of Aelion but this is recent hystory.

In my opinion this brief story teach to us that the Universe is not a stable place and that is dangerous break the balances
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ashes of Aelion still have one planet but no capital (???)
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:Ashes of Aelion still have one planet but no capital (???)
Where is it? They had some scouts near my old capital Drraumirra, but they suddenly disappeared one day (many weeks ago) and I haven't seen heads or tails of them since.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

catfighter wrote: Where is it? They had some scouts near my old capital Drraumirra, but they suddenly disappeared one day (many weeks ago) and I haven't seen heads or tails of them since.
100ly ENE of Apoapsis on the zoomed-out map.
Imperator
Anarchist
Anarchist

On a side note - what happens to an empire's fleets after it abdicates? I'm assuming units stationed on worlds remain there - once I spawned on a capital with 150k Gorgos left over from some previous empire (which could be a balance issue). But what about fleets in orbit or in transit?
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Imperator wrote:On a side note - what happens to an empire's fleets after it abdicates? I'm assuming units stationed on worlds remain there - once I spawned on a capital with 150k Gorgos left over from some previous empire (which could be a balance issue). But what about fleets in orbit or in transit?
I believe they continue to travel until they reach their destination, then disappear. Some players a while ago also asked, posting a picture of the "ghost fleet" in question, but they never confirmed whether or not the fleet vanished.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I have still some of the old Xephyr ship around my planets, a war of long long time ago
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

After Gal1 (Bismalia Vs The Barricades Pact)The Galaxy was sleeping in peace...But!, yesterday night we have seen an incredible action (Felor and Hallucination Vs Dogeland!)

Dogeland abdicated surprised by the power of the attack.
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Nor
Anarchist
Anarchist

Yep, big news yesterday.

Isn't Felor part of the Pact? I thought Pact members weren't supposed to start wars without Pact agreement. Did the Pact as a whole declare war on Dogeland?
gc2
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

They found an exploit that allowed invading infantry to bypass orbiting fleets and hijacked all my shipyards that had no infantry on them. Wars have always been somewhat broken in that it's always whoever strikes first wins, but in this case especially I see no point in responding.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You're Dogeland? I didn't use any exploits. The "magic infantry" trick that Felor was boasting about doesn't actually have any practical use- trying to attack with a magic soldier just donates it to the planet no matter who owns it, so you can't conquer a planet that way even if there are no infantry on it.

I took out your yards and academies the old fashioned way- by attacking them with jumpships and gunships. A lot of ramjet and starship yards defected when I took sector capitals (and btw I think that unit defection is unfair the way that it currently works, I shouldn't be able to end a war with more units than I started out with.)

The reason that I was able to destroy all your individual jumpfleets with a jumpfleet that was numerically weaker than they would have been if combined is that when one cannon-equipped fleet is significantly stronger and numerically larger than the other it can usually win while taking practically no damage. I think this is unfair too.

If you had consolidated your fleets and infantry on your sector capitals more frequently it would have been a lot harder for me to seriously injure you, and you would have been in a great position to retaliate. Unfortunately, when empires get to be our size consolidating forces can be really tedious.

I think the beta has been going on too long, this game is just not well balanced for really big, mature empires.
gc2
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Heh, I guess now is as good a time as any to take a break.

I suppose we all learned something from this. I was pretty diligent in piling starship fleets onto sector capitals when my empire was smaller, but as it grew in size I just became lazy.

Though I still maintain that presently warfare boils down to "I win because I attacked first", and the defection mechanic ensures that anyone attacked in their absence will never have a chance to fight back. I thought that worlds will defect only if sector capital coverage is taken away, which is not true. Now it seemed to be a really bad idea to designate L&O sector capitals to squeeze out a bit more infantry production.

I'm not surprised that it's the jumpship deathball again. The first empire I ran was literally wiped out by one of these. It is quite a feat that you went through over a hundred of my planets, because sometimes I can't even remember where all my jumpship yards are. Therefore, while I can't say that I'm happy with this outcome, your victory is well deserved. Maybe one day I'll be back.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I hope we'll see you back once some of the balance issues have been ironed out.

If it's any consolation, this wasn't an impetuous attack. Your empire was well set up and I had to start planning a long time in advance, built a secret Cerberus fleet and moved it down through the rift zone to take Pelbourn, and sold a bunch of stuff to Mesophon to buy the starfrigate fleet that took out your southwestern nebula capital at EE 5238.

I even made this up beforehand:

You built that and kept it going for like 200 cycles. Dogeland lives!
Nor
Anarchist
Anarchist

Farewell, all!

Closing note:

to Finnian, ROR, HOA, and Felor,

Well-played, ladies and gentlemen. Feels funny to bow out when I'm still ahead of all of you in IM and planets, but my position is clearly untenable. I tell myself that, if I'd had a few more days to digest what I'd picked up from Dogeland and build up accordingly it all could have been very different, but I let myself get rushed ahead of your pending attack... and now here we are! Enjoy.