Planets of the Dead - buggy planets in beta

General discussion for the game Anacreon
pirx
Miner
Miner

As you probably know, the ghosts of violently slain empires can haunt their lost capital planets. My understanding is that losing all capitals in one watch seems to be the most likely cause for this condition, but I am hardly an expert.

In some instances this seems to render the planets unfit for inclusion in an empire, as they revert to independent as soon as they are conquered. They might even be unfit as a starting planet. One can extrapolate from that, that the game might become unplayable at some point in the far future.

The empire tags are visible in the exported map, but not on the game screen. The empire tags seem to be overwritten when another empire is founded on these planets, but apparently revert to the old tag when the new empire abdictates (unless someone funded an Ashes of Aelion and abdictated within the last few cycles).
These are the dead empires I found in beta

Ashes of Aelion
Dark Nebula Mongols
Xephyr's Domain
Harmony (apparently unruleable)
Star Corp (apparently unruleable)
Wesnoth
Hetia
Federation
(Mesophon Traders Confederacy) Still has planets but no capital, empire tag is centered on a planet of the evil space pirates

I was a bit surprised to see Hetia among these. Last time I saw that empire it was one planet on the old beta testing capital. It is now a part of a new cluster of the Terran Empire.

Usually there is little gain to kill one planet empires, quickly or not. Presumably Hetia was a troll empire, attacking without regard for its safety, or a new player who didn't know better to start a fight without hope.

In any case, please try to avoid decapitating the trolls. That is not dead which can eternal lie.
Attachments
planets_of_the_dead_small.jpg
planets_of_the_dead_small.jpg (197.95 KiB) Viewed 9997 times
pirx
Miner
Miner

Oh, yeah the most important thing: if you know any details about the demise of these empires please post them here so that we can test hypotheses of what causes this condition.

One interesting observation: the unruleable planets I know of are sites of pretty old empires. It might be that the haunted planets accumulate unrest over time. And with strange aeons even death may die.
Wayward Device
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think this is the right place for this. In the South of my empire, in the nebula, there is a Ghost Empire:

http://imgur.com/Qe4DNZ6

Centered it seems on the Ghost Regional Cap of Susa, there is a whole connected string of worlds, perhaps 30 or so extending south. They have jumpyards and everything. I can't see the details of or attack any of these worlds. They don't have a territory circle around them. Spooky indeed!

In the most south-westerly of my clusters I also have one of the "unconquerable tl7 earthlike potential cap worlds". Very annoying, It would allow for a nice bit of extra productivity.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

pirx wrote:Oh, yeah the most important thing: if you know any details about the demise of these empires please post them here so that we can test hypotheses of what causes this condition.
My empire was pretty large, and I was expanding rapidly. I had the "no capital" bug, and every sector capital I designated could have a different doctrine. Finnian, after several declarations of peace on his part, came in and took over my empire while I was away on a work trip. I never got the "Your empire has been destroyed." dialogue box, and I can still log in and view the map as if I were still an active player.

If any of my ghost fleets had any infantry, I suspect I could have claimed a poorly guarded planet and started anew.

pirx wrote: One interesting observation: the unruleable planets I know of are sites of pretty old empires. It might be that the haunted planets accumulate unrest over time. And with strange aeons even death may die.
It might be cool to keep something from this bug - If the largest, oldest empires control a significant section of the galaxy, then the region that was under their influence could be named after them. So, for instance, my little corner there could be called "The Xephyr Region" :)
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Heehee, was that Cthulhu I heard?

My current Alpha empire is Immortal; it had a single sector cap that was conquered and the conquerer abdicated shortly afterwards. I had, in a previous alpha empire, killed two multi-sector-cap empires in a single watch but neither became Immortal.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
pirx
Miner
Miner

Wayward Device wrote:I think this is the right place for this. In the South of my empire, in the nebula, there is a Ghost Empire:

http://imgur.com/Qe4DNZ6

Centered it seems on the Ghost Regional Cap of Susa, there is a whole connected string of worlds, perhaps 30 or so extending south. They have jumpyards and everything. I can't see the details of or attack any of these worlds. They don't have a territory circle around them. Spooky indeed!
I believe that these are planets belonging to an empire called Rus. Catfighter knows more about this, I believe. They also have at least one sector capital, called 'Battlespire', just south of Coronae Borealis Gate. I did not find an empire tag for Rus, so this might be a different kind of ghost.
Wayward Device wrote: In the most south-westerly of my clusters I also have one of the "unconquerable tl7 earthlike potential cap worlds". Very annoying, It would allow for a nice bit of extra productivity.
That planet was for a few cycles the capital of an empire called Fundacion or so, (thats why the planets is currently called Terminus, with some spanish accent I believe). Had at least two planets if my memory is correct. I think it existed too short to autoabdictate. It might be that these planets doom any civilization that is so unfortunate to start there.
WorldsStrongestNerd
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Operating under the theory that these lost earths are quickly rebelling, but we are not getting a notification, I conquered one, stationed enough imperial guards that it can never rebel, then renamed it, desginated it as a CGA, and included it in the trade hub network. This can be hard to to quickly enough, but so far after about a week it has yet to go back to independent.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Renaming and redesignating are the things which would reset the variables. Does the planet(s) still have the Empire name of its previous ruler?
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
WorldsStrongestNerd
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Yes catfighter. Under the galaxy view button it shows up as starcorp. It also shows to be independant, while in the game its still part of my empire.
humanz
Anarchist
Anarchist

GREETINGS TOUT LES MON!

I would like to speak on half of Rus to say how the Ultimate Undead Empire Rus now exists. It was night, upon accruing the capital zombie scenario Rus achieved superiority over his adversaries in The War for Rus. Upon the Battle for Russ and subsequent victory..All was lost to the game. Alas, Rus defeated himself by taking his own capital world, thus placing the Empire of Rus as the Ultimate Undead Empire Rus.

Yours Truly,

Beatlejuice
NIGHTHAWK620
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

pirx wrote:As you probably know, the ghosts of violently slain empires can haunt their lost capital planets. My understanding is that losing all capitals in one watch seems to be the most likely cause for this condition, but I am hardly an expert.

In some instances this seems to render the planets unfit for inclusion in an empire, as they revert to independent as soon as they are conquered. They might even be unfit as a starting planet. One can extrapolate from that, that the game might become unplayable at some point in the far future.

The empire tags are visible in the exported map, but not on the game screen. The empire tags seem to be overwritten when another empire is founded on these planets, but apparently revert to the old tag when the new empire abdictates (unless someone funded an Ashes of Aelion and abdictated within the last few cycles).
These are the dead empires I found in beta

Ashes of Aelion
Dark Nebula Mongols
Xephyr's Domain
Harmony (apparently unruleable)
Star Corp (apparently unruleable)
Wesnoth
Hetia
Federation
(Mesophon Traders Confederacy) Still has planets but no capital, empire tag is centered on a planet of the evil space pirates

I was a bit surprised to see Hetia among these. Last time I saw that empire it was one planet on the old beta testing capital. It is now a part of a new cluster of the Terran Empire.

Usually there is little gain to kill one planet empires, quickly or not. Presumably Hetia was a troll empire, attacking without regard for its safety, or a new player who didn't know better to start a fight without hope.

In any case, please try to avoid decapitating the trolls. That is not dead which can eternal lie.

I was Lord Newbie my empire was destroyed. My new capital came for one of my sector capitals. Other sector capitals were destroyed and joined another empire. Then I ended up stuck having a planet that belongs to other empires and I couldn't do anything in the game. I can't play the game and I think I'm going back to the same planet which is independent now, but can not do a thing. My money is still there no ships, infantry and no way to control anything. I try to enter beta game and continue to go to the same planet. No empire bug keeps me from playing. I have sign out of everything, I was told that if I do this Game may kick me out or loose. I'll not sign in for a month to see what happens. If anyone has any new info on this issue please contact me at [email protected]
NH620
NIGHTHAWK620
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I AM STILL STUCK IN LIMBO...EVERYTIME I SIGN IN I GO TO PLANET TERRA WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO DO ANYTHING. WHAT KIND OF BUG IS THIS? I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO PLAY FOR 3-4 MONTHS. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
NH620
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

NIGHTHAWK620 wrote:I AM STILL STUCK IN LIMBO...EVERYTIME I SIGN IN I GO TO PLANET TERRA WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO DO ANYTHING. WHAT KIND OF BUG IS THIS? I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO PLAY FOR 3-4 MONTHS. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
You can try switching over to another game - there's the alpha or beta games to choose from - but other than that your best bet is to contact George to see if you can get your anacreon profile reset, I think.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.