Anacreon Beta II Discussion Thread

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Anacreon Beta II Discussion

This is a thread for discussing the Anacreon scenario "Fallen Worlds Beta II", which was opened for play on June 2, 2016. This thread is maintained by me, Watch TV, Do Nothing, an Anacreon fan, and isn't official.

Beta II FAQ

What's going on in the game right now? What has changed recently?

George, the developer, is recently fixed many major bugs and made changes to the game. The game is currently considered to be in "Era 3" and the well-established Beta I and Beta II games are working with all changes implemented. There is not a new game for Era 3.
  • "Jump beacons" were added to serve as a check on jumpship strength.Players' non-explorer jumpship fleets can only jump to within 250 LY of their imperial capital, jumpship yards, or sector capitals if the player's Doctrine is Fire & Movement. They can still be joined into fleets with starships or ramjets, which will move anywhere on the map at their slower normal speeds. (Gunships are probably preferable for this sort of convoying.)
  • Your new sector capitals must be placed at least 250LY away from your other capitals. To found your first sector capital, you must have either a dedicated jumpyard world besides the capital (to extend your jumpship range beyond the capital) or convoy infantry in transports that are attached to a warp-speed fleet.
  • Ships and defenses have been completely rebalanced. Resource costs are still the same but many ships' range, damage and armor have been increased. Performance of ships and defenses that use missiles has been improved via a change to how missile attacks work. Jumpcruisers are much tougher and stronger, starfrigates' armor has been decreased, and jumpships can no longer be able to first-strike cannon defenses without taking casualties. Missile protection has been reduced across the board for ships that have it. Jumpmissiles will do more damage to heavily-armored ships. Starcruisers had range buffs and may now be viable heavy combatants.
  • Mesophon worlds now sell every class of ship.
  • The double/no capital and graviton launcher overproduction bugs have been fixed. These improvements will make the game a lot more enjoyable going forward.

All ships and defenses have been rebalanced. Nobody really knows what is strong or weak yet, so go wild trying to figure out what works! Until I can get some proper tables cooked up, refer to Imperator's table or the Core Library

If you are a new player spawning or moving into the northeast corner of the galaxy, you may see strange worlds that don't display information when you clicked on them. A large empire, Ontarion, was destroyed in a way that caused a few hundred of worlds to get screwed up; they can't be interacted with in any way (due to a bug that has since been fixed) If you are a new player who has spawned near to any of these defective worlds, they are annoying but harmless.

What is the difference between the Alpha I, Beta I and Beta II games?

Fallen Worlds Beta I and II run the same Era 3 version of Anacreon but have different galaxies. Beta II was started more recently and has more players and less of the residue that accumulates in really old games (giant hexacarbide stockpiles, massive starship fleets, ruins, strangely-named worlds, etc.) I believe Alpha I is also running Era 3 but I haven't checked. Alpha 1 doesn't have any nebulas, since it was started before nebulas got added to the game.

I'm a new player. How can I get started?

Read the Official Quick Start Guide, join the game, and read the section of the next post in this thread titled "How to conquer worlds and grow your early empire". For more detailed information about the game, check out my Gameplay Guide and FAQ thread.

Are there any unofficial rules or codes of conduct?

Don't exploit known bugs. Players that I've talked to have generally expressed a desire that players not run multiple empires simultaneously, refrain from giving their empires the same name as other empires, not give planets rude names, and not harass other players through the message system.

Stationing fleets over other player's planets when you aren't at war with them is generally considered hostile, although some players don't seem to mind. Don't be surprised if your explorers get attacked or shot at with jumpmissiles when they're in or near other players' territory, even if you don't think you did anything aggressive.

New players should know that other players with an imperial might >200 will suffer a penalty to social order on some of their own planets if they try to attack your worlds, but this penalty will be waived if you have ever attacked one of the that player's worlds. You can always safely attack any fleets that are orbiting your own worlds or shoot at moving fleets with jumpmissiles and it will not waive the penalty.

Weaker players should be skeptical if stronger players try to bait them into attacking one of their planets (e.g. under the premise that it is a "gift" world), as this may be done the intention of subsequently attacking them without the penalty. On the other hand, it might truly be a gift. Weigh the costs and benefits yourself before attacking a stronger player, even with their permission.

Anacreon is an online game and military combat is a major part of it. Eventually you may need to fight to defend your empire- either with lasers and missiles, or through skillful diplomacy. Don't forget that you can try to negotiate a truce with the other player, or recruit allies from among other players.

What's your empire?

I'm Aden, which is a small empire put together to test bugfixes. In Beta II, my past empires (all long since abdicated or conquered) have been Hand, New Agraria, and Trinacria. In the Beta I game I played as Hallucination and later as BOYCOTT CHRONIMIUM.

What is history of the galaxies in Betas I and II?

If you browse through this thread you'll see periodic updates on the state of the galaxy made by me and other players. (Some of these posts are pretty biased, so keep that in mind :D.) When Beta I was active, several players contributed to a guild newsletter called the Stargazer Bulletin and you can find interesting strategic suggestions and battle narratives in this and other older threads from the Alphas.

I found a bug or want to make a suggestion, how do I do that?

Mention it in this thread or start a new one! If it's a bug, it's likely that others have seen it too but if not you can report it on Ministry which is the bug tracker. People in this thread or other players may be able to recommend workarounds.

Useful Links

Fallen Worlds Beta II

Gameplay Guides and FAQs:
    Official Quick Start Guide | My Gameplay Guide and FAQs (written for Beta I)

Anacreon Community:
    Report bugs and make suggestions on Ministry | Anacreon Wikia (not comprehensive and a little out of date) | Official Anacreon Discussion Forum | Stargazer Bulletin: Discussion and news for Beta I | Alpha Server Chronicles: Discussion and news for Fallen Worlds Alpha
Last edited by Watch TV, Do Nothing on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

This guide has been moved here!
Last edited by Watch TV, Do Nothing on Wed May 03, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Wayward Device
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ah Watch TV, as always you provide useful colour coded advice.

Just one observation so far: everything I have ever said about Gorgos Starfrigates is true. In the new galaxy Sanzu just sent 340,000~ Eldritch against my cap defended by a mere 5,000 Gorgos. They only killed 30,000~ Eldritch but they took out so many transports that Sanzu was unable to to beat my 17,000 Imperial Guard and had to retreat, leaving me to continue to savage their interior with my 200,000 Eldritch.

I've missed Anacreon.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Wayward Device wrote: Just one observation so far: everything I have ever said about Gorgos Starfrigates is true. In the new galaxy Sanzu just sent 340,000~ Eldritch against my cap defended by a mere 5,000 Gorgos. They only killed 30,000~ Eldritch but they took out so many transports that Sanzu was unable to to beat my 17,000 Imperial Guard and had to retreat, leaving me to continue to savage their interior with my 200,000 Eldritch.
Now now, I didn't *have* to retreat... I did go in this with a plan, after all.

That said, I'm under this really strange bug where I can't seem to create new sector capitals - I'm not sure if it's really wise to continue a war effort at such a disatvantage... But don't worry, I'll give you a fireworks show either way.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:shock: I am no more able to play this game! It's very hard!

I think I will build a beautiful small size empire and then I will stop..

I will prepare a lot of popcorn in order to see the wars between the great powers.
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Finally, the remnants of the hoa004 fleet has arrived in this newly discovered galaxy! After months of rest, they are beginning to get to work. But the pilots have forgotten how to control their ships and the explorers can no longer read maps... :D
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Wayward Device wrote: Just one observation so far: everything I have ever said about Gorgos Starfrigates is true. In the new galaxy Sanzu just sent 340,000~ Eldritch against my cap defended by a mere 5,000 Gorgos. They only killed 30,000~ Eldritch but they took out so many transports that Sanzu was unable to to beat my 17,000 Imperial Guard and had to retreat, leaving me to continue to savage their interior with my 200,000 Eldritch.
Were you directly giving orders to the starfrigates? My understanding was that wings get targeted in alphabetical order, meaning that Eldritches should always be attacked before Reliants or Warphants so long as there are still Eldritch wings alive.

Unless there is some sort of priority override for transports?
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

AdmiralZo wrote:Finally, the remnants of the hoa004 fleet has arrived in this newly discovered galaxy! After months of rest, they are beginning to get to work. But the pilots have forgotten how to control their ships and the explorers can no longer read maps... :D
Welcome back in the galaxy noble friend
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Welcome back in the galaxy noble friend
Thank you! It's wonderful to see you all again. :D
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:| I ask myself what is happening in the galaxy, does someone knows?
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:| I ask myself what is happening in the galaxy, does someone knows?
What's wrong?? I don't see anything strange in the galaxy... :?
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I am nostalgic about the Stargazer Bullettin
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:mrgreen: The Autocracy of Order Propaganda-News Bulletin is a Masterpiece!!
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well, as Trinacria I had a pretty good war with the Autocracy. I'm dead, so it wasn't a very good war. I attacked opportunistically; I hadn't been planning to fight anybody but I saw that he had underdefended clusters right next door to me I swooped in with my Eldritches and took 'em out. I was counting on getting more Gorgos defections out of it, about 10k defected in all which is a pretty good haul for this stage of the game but they clearly weren't very old clusters. My plan had been to strike at one of his two remaining strong clusters using defected Gorgos but honestly that was kind of a fantasy because it relied on him remaining AFK for about 24 hours. I also ran out of exotroops fighting his imperial guards, I was not particularly impressed with my exotroops' performance against them.

I assume he knocked me out before my Gorgos reinforcements made it to my Capital- I hadn't garrisoned it properly because I hadn't been expecting a war- but I wouldn't rule out his Eldritches having blasted his way through 15,000 of them to get me. Wayward remains a formidable opponent in any galaxy!
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:shock: wow , I have lost the show cause I have not scouted the galaxy! What an incredible adventure! And I have missed it! Again! Again!
IN GEORGE WE TRUST