Anacreon Beta II Discussion Thread

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Pfardentrott
Anarchist
Anarchist

My (Ffarden's) capital was recently taken by IMPERIUM ASCENDANT--I was away for a week or so, so I don't really blame them. :) I think I'll abdicate and restart at some point.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Notes:
  • The galactic land rush continues with three players each taking >100 worlds in 3 cycles
  • Massive expansion of Hand's imperial guards regiments, a side effect of the L&O sector capital spam strategy used a few days ago during the bugzzzzzzz war.
  • IMPERIUM attacked the minor empire Ffarden. Ffarden was hit by the no-capital bug and abdicated.
  • Hexacarbide Brotherhood lost a planet! They were so stable for so long...
  • I am considering adding some new metrics since I think a few of the graphs are not very informative. For example, % change in space forces is primarily influenced by the construction of Gorgos units, even though most combat hinges on the Eldritch; it's also nearly meaningless to compare newer empires (which may have 500-1000% growth in a few days' time) to old empires . Let me know if there are more interesting things that I could be graphing or tracking, or interesting ways that I could be presenting this information
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

How do people feel about the restriction on raising planets above the TL of the imperial capital? I.e. if you have a natural TL0 foundation but your capital is TL9, you can't raise planets to TL10 unless you raise the capital first. Is this a good game mechanic?
Wayward Device
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I don't like it. It slows down your early development if you want to rush to Eldritch, which you should if you know how because it makes early game expansion so much easier. I have had a systemic TL collapse when my main cluster foundation rebelled after I neglected the Republic of Reason for about a month. Everything went down to 7 or it's own level if naturally higher but things didn't fall apart that much. Not that fun or interesting. Mostly I think it doesn't add much and mostly serves as another thing to confuse noobs.

Which is a shame, because Anacreon is at it's core a Foundation simulator. It's all about large scale technological collapse and recovery. For those who don't know, Foundation was a series of books by Issac Asimov about the collapse of the first human space empire when it got shiftless and lazy and forgot to train people in how to properly service it's nucleonic reactors and stuff. Then the regional governors got all uppity and succeeded and after a couple of generations everything went down to TL3. It was a bad time. Luckily, while this collapse was beginning a groups of scholars used some pseudo-science (another sign of the empire's degeneration) to predict that they could make humanity recover from the inevitable collapse a bit faster if they set up a world to act as a storehouse of scientific knowledge really far away from where all the @#$! is about to go down (only highly advanced pseudo-science could have possibly predicted that this would be a good idea). Anyway, after the collapse the storehouse world (the Foundation) uses it's technology to slowly raise humanity back up to where it was.

Anacreon should have more of that. I want to defend the ruins of a once great empire with the last slowly dying fleet of Gorgos in the galaxy as a horde of barbarians loot and pillage. I don't know what mechanics would have to change to reach this goal, but better handling of civil disorder and the way you deal with it it would be a start. I don't like fixed tech levels (except for a minimum of 5 for very hostile worlds like barren or fiery). Tech should spread out from areas of high development that invest in it and be lost when those areas are damaged by war or rebellion. And while we are wishing, a button to clear all rebelling/death messages would be a blessing.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Exciting new finding: planet names support COLOR java unicode/emoji characters. Now your imperial capital can be the interstellar love hotel you always dreamed of
Wayward Device
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

This is glorious. The tyranny of having to remember a list oaf planetary naming conventions and tediously type them out is over. I will now claim planets with the immortal ⚛.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Further finding: different browse/computer configurations output emojis differently. On my laptop running Windows 10, Firefox 49.0.1, java v8u40 the emojis are displayed in color.

On a desktop running Windows 7, Firefox 48.0.2, Java v8u101 they are unicode symbols that retain the default text colors and only a subset of possible emojis are implemented.

Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Here are the extents of each empire visualized simply, as an unweighted Voronoi diagram. A Voronoi diagram partitions space into cells containing every point that is closer to a feature (in this case a planet) than to any other point. A weighted Voronoi diagram would additionally consider another factor, for example TL, in determining cell size, but they are trickier to make.

The big fragmented yellow thing is Ontarion, which is glitched in the actual game.

Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Great work WTV! This is all great stuff.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I haven't been able to get into Anacreon Beta II for about 3 days now. When I click on play it displays: "ERROR: parsererror" :cry:

Is anyone else experiencing this??
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It's been fine for me. Have you tried a different browser, or tried logging out of Multiverse and logging back in? How far into the login process can you get?
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

When I clicked 'play', the purple loading icon would appear, but a few seconds in and the error message was displayed.

But I just tried it on Chrome, and it works fine. Seems like it isn't compatible on Internet Explorer any more... :roll:

Thanks Watch TV!!
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Looks like Imperium was wiped off the map overnight.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.