Anacreon Beta II Discussion Thread

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Anacreon Beta II Discussion Thread

Post by Watch TV, Do Nothing » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Anacreon Beta II Discussion

This is a thread for discussing the Anacreon scenario "Fallen Worlds Beta II", which was opened for play on June 2, 2016. This thread is maintained by me, Watch TV, Do Nothing, an Anacreon fan, and isn't official.

Beta II FAQ

What's going on in the game right now? What has changed recently?

George, the developer, is recently fixed many major bugs and made changes to the game. The game is currently considered to be in "Era 3" and the well-established Beta I and Beta II games are working with all changes implemented. There is not a new game for Era 3.
  • "Jump beacons" were added to serve as a check on jumpship strength.Players' non-explorer jumpship fleets can only jump to within 250 LY of their imperial capital, jumpship yards, or sector capitals if the player's Doctrine is Fire & Movement. They can still be joined into fleets with starships or ramjets, which will move anywhere on the map at their slower normal speeds. (Gunships are probably preferable for this sort of convoying.)
  • Your new sector capitals must be placed at least 250LY away from your other capitals. To found your first sector capital, you must have either a dedicated jumpyard world besides the capital (to extend your jumpship range beyond the capital) or convoy infantry in transports that are attached to a warp-speed fleet.
  • Ships and defenses have been completely rebalanced. Resource costs are still the same but many ships' range, damage and armor have been increased. Performance of ships and defenses that use missiles has been improved via a change to how missile attacks work. Jumpcruisers are much tougher and stronger, starfrigates' armor has been decreased, and jumpships can no longer be able to first-strike cannon defenses without taking casualties. Missile protection has been reduced across the board for ships that have it. Jumpmissiles will do more damage to heavily-armored ships. Starcruisers had range buffs and may now be viable heavy combatants.
  • Mesophon worlds now sell every class of ship.
  • The double/no capital and graviton launcher overproduction bugs have been fixed. These improvements will make the game a lot more enjoyable going forward.

All ships and defenses have been rebalanced. Nobody really knows what is strong or weak yet, so go wild trying to figure out what works! Until I can get some proper tables cooked up, refer to Imperator's table or the Core Library

If you are a new player spawning or moving into the northeast corner of the galaxy, you may see strange worlds that don't display information when you clicked on them. A large empire, Ontarion, was destroyed in a way that caused a few hundred of worlds to get screwed up; they can't be interacted with in any way (due to a bug that has since been fixed) If you are a new player who has spawned near to any of these defective worlds, they are annoying but harmless.

What is the difference between the Alpha I, Beta I and Beta II games?

Fallen Worlds Beta I and II run the same Era 3 version of Anacreon but have different galaxies. Beta II was started more recently and has more players and less of the residue that accumulates in really old games (giant hexacarbide stockpiles, massive starship fleets, ruins, strangely-named worlds, etc.) I believe Alpha I is also running Era 3 but I haven't checked. Alpha 1 doesn't have any nebulas, since it was started before nebulas got added to the game.

I'm a new player. How can I get started?

Read the Official Quick Start Guide, join the game, and read the section of the next post in this thread titled "How to conquer worlds and grow your early empire". For more detailed information about the game, check out my Gameplay Guide and FAQ thread.

Are there any unofficial rules or codes of conduct?

Don't exploit known bugs. Players that I've talked to have generally expressed a desire that players not run multiple empires simultaneously, refrain from giving their empires the same name as other empires, not give planets rude names, and not harass other players through the message system.

Stationing fleets over other player's planets when you aren't at war with them is generally considered hostile, although some players don't seem to mind. Don't be surprised if your explorers get attacked or shot at with jumpmissiles when they're in or near other players' territory, even if you don't think you did anything aggressive.

New players should know that other players with an imperial might >200 will suffer a penalty to social order on some of their own planets if they try to attack your worlds, but this penalty will be waived if you have ever attacked one of the that player's worlds. You can always safely attack any fleets that are orbiting your own worlds or shoot at moving fleets with jumpmissiles and it will not waive the penalty.

Weaker players should be skeptical if stronger players try to bait them into attacking one of their planets (e.g. under the premise that it is a "gift" world), as this may be done the intention of subsequently attacking them without the penalty. On the other hand, it might truly be a gift. Weigh the costs and benefits yourself before attacking a stronger player, even with their permission.

Anacreon is an online game and military combat is a major part of it. Eventually you may need to fight to defend your empire- either with lasers and missiles, or through skillful diplomacy. Don't forget that you can try to negotiate a truce with the other player, or recruit allies from among other players.

What's your empire?

I'm Aden, which is a small empire put together to test bugfixes. In Beta II, my past empires (all long since abdicated or conquered) have been Hand, New Agraria, and Trinacria. In the Beta I game I played as Hallucination and later as BOYCOTT CHRONIMIUM.

What is history of the galaxies in Betas I and II?

If you browse through this thread you'll see periodic updates on the state of the galaxy made by me and other players. (Some of these posts are pretty biased, so keep that in mind :D.) When Beta I was active, several players contributed to a guild newsletter called the Stargazer Bulletin and you can find interesting strategic suggestions and battle narratives in this and other older threads from the Alphas.

I found a bug or want to make a suggestion, how do I do that?

Mention it in this thread or start a new one! If it's a bug, it's likely that others have seen it too but if not you can report it on Ministry which is the bug tracker. People in this thread or other players may be able to recommend workarounds.

Useful Links

Fallen Worlds Beta II

Gameplay Guides and FAQs:
    Official Quick Start Guide | My Gameplay Guide and FAQs (written for Beta I)

Anacreon Community:
    Report bugs and make suggestions on Ministry | Anacreon Wikia (not comprehensive and a little out of date) | Official Anacreon Discussion Forum | Stargazer Bulletin: Discussion and news for Beta I | Alpha Server Chronicles: Discussion and news for Fallen Worlds Alpha
Last edited by Watch TV, Do Nothing on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Re: Anacreon Beta II Discussion Thread

Post by Watch TV, Do Nothing » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:02 pm

How to conquer worlds and grow your early empire

The most important advice I can give to a starting player is: capture planets soon, but don't lose all your starting ships by attacking another planet if the odds aren't clearly in your favor.

Ships were recently rebalanced and jump beacons were added!

Use a fleet of Stingers to attack nearby independent planets that are defended only by GDMs. You will likely win even if the enemy has more space forces, because Stingers can intercept missiles and GDMs are a kind of missile. Then invade with infantry in transports; bring as much infantry as you can carry. Planets <TL 4 and primordial-type worlds usually only have GDM defenses, so you might want to attack these first.

You might luck out and your starting capital will be a world that was formerly part of another empire, with lots of high-tech ships already on it. More likely, you'll start with the bare minimum, which can be as little as 500 Stinger jumpships, 250 Vanguard explorers, a few thousand infantry and some Reliant jumptransports.

Here are my starting recommendations:

Beginning tasks for your capital:
  • Click on your capital and click "import from". The grey circle is the area in which you want to conquer planets first. It's less than the control radius of your capital, but any world outside the grey circle can't form a trade route straight to your capital and won't be useful right away.
  • The control radius of the capital is also your empire's current"jump beacon" range. Jumpships, jumpcruisers and jumptransports can't move on their own across the map anymore, they can only move to within a 250LY radius circle of planets that have jump beacons (explorers can still go anywhere). The capital, jumpship yards, and sector capitals in the Fire & Movement doctrine have jump beacons. You can still combine any jumpship type with gunships in a fleet to move them around the map at the slower gunship speed and conquer remote worlds. You can see
  • For now, click on each defense structure (GDMs, HELs, autocannons, maybe hypersonics and/or armored satellites) and set defense structures' labor allocation to 0%. To expand you need ships, not defenses.
  • Click on the Fleet HQ structure and allocate only like 5% to Vanguard explorers (you'll always want some explorers because they're useful for exploring because they're fast and have sensors, but they are very weak in combat) and maybe 10-15% to Reliant jumptransports. You could also set 5-10% to building infantry, but if you have like 10,000 infantry already don't bother, you'll be fine with that many for quite a while. The rest should go to building either Stingers or Adamants.
  • If the independent planets near you have a lot of missile-type defenses (GDMs, hypersonics, armored constellations) but not many cannon-type defenses (HELs, autocannons, plasma towers), assign most or all of the rest of the labor to Stingers. Otherwise, assign most of it to Adamants. Individual Adamants require more Work Units and minerals to build and they don't have missile protection, but they have a lot more armor and their missiles are both more damaging and longer-ranged, which is important for fighting planetary defenses. All ship classes are weak against some units and strong against others. In player vs. player combat, basic jumpships like the Stinger will defeat basic jumpcruisers at cost parity despite having a weaker Space Forces rating, since basic jumpships have missile protection.
  • Do not switch doctrines right now. You'll probably want to stay in Fire and Movement for a long time. Switching doctrines will hurt your capital's efficiency and you won't be able to build as many ships (or any ships depending on which doctrine you switch to.) Once you have 20-30 worlds you might explore other doctrines.
Beginning tasks for your fleets
  • Deploy several fleets of 150-200 explorers to explore all the space around your capital out to at least 250 light-years (there's scale bar in the upper right-hand corner). Deploy 10 or so explorers out of the fleet every time you orbit an interesting-looking independent world in range of your capital and leave them in orbit while the rest of your fleet keeps exploring. This will let you keep an eye on the planet's defenses until you're ready to attack it.
  • If you find another player, you can send messages to them from the "Empire" tab on their capital. If another player messages you, it will reveal their capital's location to you.
  • To capture a planet, you usually used to need at least >150% of the planet's " space forces". Confusingly, your transports count towards "space forces" but don't actually fight. Transports have armor and guns but they won't fire them due to a bug. Your fleet's "real" strength is its "space forces" when all the ships that are not transports are deployed to it. If a planet is defended by cannons or a mix of cannons and hypersonic missiles you want at least 200-250%. If the planet is only defended by GDMs, space forces are less important- a small Stinger fleet will be able to take the planet, since Stingers' missile defense can intercept incoming missiles pretty well. Because of the recent rebalancing, nobody knows how good of a measurement of fleet strength Space Forces are. Test different attacks and report back in this thread.
  • If you can't find a planet weak enough to conquer nearby, log off and try again in around 24 hours; this gives your capital time to build more ships. It's frustrating to not be able to do anything right away but once you start capturing and establishing trade routes with other planets your empire will really get rolling.
  • You won't be able to capture most high-tech independent worlds at first, since their defenses can be quite strong. Worlds around TL 3-5 are the best to conquer starting out; they usually don't take long to go up to TL 5 once given a designation and they don't have many defenses. (Some low-TL worlds will be old player worlds that rebelled; these planets may have strong defenses left over.) Lower TL worlds will improve to TL 5 on their own once you give them a designation, but this can take a few minutes. If you can't designate them what you want them to be because their TL is too low, designate them as consumer goods autofacs. Once their TL rises you can redesignate them. Always build a spaceport at TL 5, it increases trade route range by a lot and costs nothing.
  • You may see TL 9 and 10 planets with trace trillum that have no defenses at all. These planets look appealing but they're resource traps- they're barely able to produce enough consumer goods to support their own populations and when you conquer them their efficiency will decrease, causing immediate shortages that will send the planet into civil war. Don't try taking these planets until you have dedicated trillum planets up and running nearby so that you can supply them immediately after capturing them.
You can grow your empire any way you like, but I suggest conquering planets in this order:
  • A planet with "abundant" or at least "major" trillum supplies. This will probably be a desert or fiery world but it can be another world type. Designate it as a trillum extractor. Trillum is needed for almost every production task on almost every planet. Set your capital to import from the extractor. (No planet will ever need to import from your capital, since it produces ships which can't be exported through trade routes.) If the trillum planet is TL 1 or 2 you'll have to designate it as a consumer goods autofac and wait for it to go up to TL3 before you can redesignate it as a trillum extractor.
  • An earthlike or ocean world; if none are available, an underground world; if none are available, a desert world. Designate this planet as a consumer goods autofac world and set it to import from the trillum extractor. The trillum will be used by the consumer goods autofac to make durable goods (the CG autofac also makes organic food, which only requires labor to make). All worlds that are TL4 and higher require durable goods and will be more efficient if they can import them from a CG autofac planet instead of making them locally. If a world is TL 7 or higher, it will also use the trillum to produce luxury goods; TL 7 worlds (like your capital) need luxury goods in addition to food and durable goods. Once the autofac is running at 100% (when the little number on the left side of the structure box goes away, about 5-10 minutes), set the trillum extractor to import from it. You'll soon be generating a huge surplus of trillum and consumer goods. Set the capital to import from the CG autofac to benefit from this surplus. You'll see your capital's ship production increase since it no longer needs to dedicate as much (or any) labor to making consumer goods.
  • A TL 5 or higher planet with at least minor hexacarbide deposits. Designate it a jumpship autofac and have it import from everything but the capital. This planet will build the various jumpship components that all jumpships except explorers require. Set the capital to import from this world. After a few watches your capital should only be producing hexacarbide and units, and it will be producing them a whole lot faster than when you first started out. If you're building Adamant-class jumpcruisers, the capital will still be running an autofac to build light missile launchers unless your autofac planet is TL 7 or higher. The Adamant uses two components and one of them (the light missile launcher) requires TL 7 to build. Building jumpship components requires some trillum, so pay attention to your supply.
  • At this point you might want to add another consumer goods autofac, a hexacarbide foundry planet, or a starship yard. Abundant hexacarbide is common, usually on barren and underground worlds, and is needed to build every ship and every defense except GDMs. As you conquer more worlds you'll need either to keep setting up more consumer goods autofacs and trillum extractors to supply them or be content with reduced production. High-tech worlds need a lot of consumer goods.
  • Gunships, built at starship yards, move around a lot slower than jumpships but are not restricted by jump beacons, do not require components, and currently seem to be a good value for their cost. Add a starship yard to build gunships and wage war beyond your borders or take out planets that are too tough to crack with jumpships and jumpcruisers. You can also build starfrigates and starcruisers, which have long-range weapons that can crack independent world's planetary defenses without taking losses, if you add a starship autofac.
Tips for your young and expanding empire
  • Build habitat structures whenever they're available. These raise a planet's max population, which means more labor. Don't build them if you are already having trouble supplying a planet with resources; they are also not strictly necessary on foundations and trade hubs. Habitats take a while to build. The largest hab structures for hazardous worlds are arcologies, available at TL 7. For habitable worlds, the largest are planetary arcologies at TL 8. Planetary arcologies takes 3 days to build! At 100% efficiency, a TL 8 habitable world with a planetary arcology will produce about twice as much labor as a TL7 hazardous world with a regular arcology.
  • Keep an eye on actual unit production through the "production" tab. The "structures" tab only reports how many units a world is trying to produce. If your planet is trying to import more resources or ship components than it is getting (indicated by a number in brackets on a given resource of component in the production tab), your world is wasting labor. Either switch to cheaper unit types, move labor into defenses on the unit-producing world (defenses are cheaper than units), or add more resource/autofac worlds.
  • You will need a lot of chronimium once you start building ships that are TL 8 and higher. The TL7 Victory-class starcruiser and armored constellation defense structure also require chronimium. Securing abundant chronimium planets is really important if there are any nearby. Chronimium uses a lot of trillum to produce, so keep your chronimium processor planets supplied by your trillum extractors.
  • Pay attention to what kind of ships your neighbors have and build or station proper deterrents on your most vulnerable planets accordingly. Build citadels to deter starship attack and take out nearby jumpship yards to prevent them from attacking you with jumpships. If enemy jumpships are able to operate inside your borders, your empire will be very vulnerable.
  • If a planet imports a resource from two planets, it will default to importing 50% of its need from each. You can manually change the allocation by clicking on the trade route; if one planets is producing much more than another you aren't forced to draw equally from both. For example, if planet Trillum A produces twice as much as planet Trillum B and your capital imports from both, you can change the Trillum B route to only import 33% of the capital's need and the Trillum A route will change to 67% by default. Once you manually change a trade route it will stay at the assigned % forever, so if you want a trade route to start auto-balancing again you will need to cancel and recreate it.
  • Armored infantry are a lot tougher than standard infantry and you'll need fewer transports to move them around. Building fewer transports lets you build more attack ships. When your resource supplies seem stable, set up an infantry academy and an infantry autofac. One autofac can fully supply one academy that's building 100% armored infantry, provided that the worlds have the same labor output. You must manually order the academy to build 100% armored infantry, otherwise it will build 50% regular, 50% armored. If both your autofac and academy are TL7 or higher they will also try to build exotroops. Don't do this right now, exotroops are costly to build and require chronimium and >1 autofac per academy.
  • Don't leave your infantry on a newly-conquered planet unless you are expecting another player to attack it. They won't help with the "industry demands more military defense" message (only stationing ships or building defenses stops this). Use infantry only to attack, to garrison vulnerable planets against other players' attacks, and to suppress civil wars. Transfer infantry down to your capital when you're AFK so that they don't get destroyed in their defenseless transports by another player.
  • At some point you might add a trade hub to reduce the number of individual trade routes. Not everyone uses hubs; Dorne conquered over half the planets in Beta I and rarely used them. I like hubs but they're finicky. If you use hubs, build and station lots of defenses on them and be careful that every planet isn't importing consumer goods from hubs right away unless you have a huge surplus. Hazardous-world consumer goods autofacs that are being asked to export more than they can produce have a tendency to go into civil war after a while. If you are going to trade trillum through a hub, keep two or more extractors connected to it. I've also seen this happen with jumpship parts, luxury goods and hexacarbide. You might as well build a ton of defenses on your hubs since they don't have anything else to do with the labor. HEL cannons + hypersonic missiles is a pretty decent defense combo early on.
  • Foundations can raise other planets' TL but need lots of consumer goods themselves, since their TL rises to match the capital. Foundations tend to produce a lot of TLs so it's safe to allocate labor to defenses on them as long as you ensure the foundation is still generating a surplus of 10-20 TLs
  • It's always a good idea to build fusion programs on TL 5 worlds if you can't supply them from a foundation. Going from TL 5 to TL 6 results in an immediate increase in labor production without much or any population penalty. It also makes more habitat structures available, as well as hypersonic missile defenses, which are the only really good missiles in the game.
  • Don't raise every planet to TL 7 or higher right away. TL 7 is when planets start demanding luxury goods. At TL 10 demand for luxuries is enormous. You'll need a lot of dedicated consumer autofacs to supply a high-tech empire and have it remain productive.
  • Regions of space where worlds are densely clustered are more valuable than regions where planets are spread out. When planning to start a new sector capital, try to place it in range of a few dense clusters and good planets that will be able to supply it. A sector capital will be able to grow a region into an industrial powerhouse for your empire if there are a couple of independent earthlike or ocean worlds, two planets with abundant trillum, and a couple planets with at least major chronimium within a 200 light year radius of the sector capital or a hub supplying it.
  • If you are using trade hubs, put your hubs within 50 LY of capitals to ensure that every planet within range of the hub is under the capital's influence. This is not an absolute rule and some clever geometries use alternate spacing of hubs and capitals.
  • Eventually, build starship yards close (<50LY) to your capitals, hubs and foundations so that you can quickly reinforce these planets with heavy starships.
Avoid Game-Ruining Mistakes and Known Bugs:
  • Don't build tech programs on your capital until you have a chronimium processor planet that it can import from. Your starting capital will never have chronimium deposits. At TL 8 Vanguards are replaced by Helions, which require chronimium. At TL 9 every ship class except Adamants is replaced by higher-tech ships that require chronimium. If you go all the way up to TL 10 your capital will only be able to build infantry until you get a chronimium processor hooked up. Rarely, your starting capital have have a TL higher than 7 and be in the process of regressing back to TL 7; this will happen if your capital world was recently part of another empire but went independent.
  • Don't switch to a different doctrine until you have at least one jumpship yard planet and jumpship autofac planet. The default Fire & Movement doctrine is the only one that builds jumptransports on sector capitals. Without a jumpbeacon (a property of the jumpship yard designation), your jumpfleets will not be able to move. Without jumptransports, you won't be able to conquer more planets. You can buy transports from Mesophon, but you need transports to sell resources to them in the first place unless you are in the Trade & Enterprise doctrine (you also need to have a Mesophon world within beacon range, or the process will be very slow since you'll have to move stuff at gunship speed.)
  • A trillum shortage on a hazardous world can lead to survival goods shortages and mass deaths. Use transports to dump a couple thousand tons of trillum onto hazardous planets before you redesignate them as anything that requires a lot of trillum (consumer goods autofac, chronimium refinery, etc.) It takes a while for the planet to adjust the amount of trillum it produces/imports.
  • Try not to use hazardous planets as consumer goods autofacs. Consumer goods autofac planets that are hazardous (any planet that is not earthlike, ocean, underground, desert or empyreal) can suffer mass deaths if they are being asked to export more consumer goods than they can build. There is a bug which can cause labor to sometimes be allocated away from the habitat structure for a few turns, and it won't build enough survival goods to sustain the population. Earthlike worlds are the best CG autofacs, closely followed by Ocean worlds. Both classes of worlds get a hidden bonus to producing organic food.
  • If a planet is importing from two or more extractors or autofacs of the same type, it will automatically divide its imports evenly among the worlds, even if some of the planets are producing more and some are producing less (because of differences in efficiency/population/labor allocation). You may have to fiddle with % import allocations to keep your planets from running resource shortages because of this. This is especially important for trade hubs.
  • Attacking another player whose imperial might is less than 50% yours will depress social order on some of your planets; they may even go into civil war. The penalty is imposed for each individual attack. Civil wars are annoying but not crippling; players can still occasionally take a planet or two from a weaker player without destroying their own empires, so watch out!
  • Imperial might is based on population, not military strength! If you conquer a bunch of lousy planets without building fleets and defenses for them you'll become vulnerable to attack by players who previously wouldn't touch you due to imperial might differences.
  • If a planet is "rebelling", remove infantry other than imperial guards. Don't send more, unless they're imperial guards.. When a planet enters civil war about half the infantry stationed on it defect to the rebels. Once a planet is in civil war it's safe to send infantry back in. You want at least 4x as many ground forces as the rebels to guarantee victory. Players with the Law & Order doctrine can build Imperial guards, which never join rebels and may deter civil war.
  • Big fleets containing hundreds of thousands of ships of the same type may have firing range problems. You may want to split up these fleets before launching an attack with them. This seems to mostly be a problem for ships with very short firing ranges, like the Stinger.
  • Trade and Enterprise is a dangerous doctrine to leave. T&E turns your capitals into trade hubs, which eliminates the need to maintain separate hubs. If you switch out of T&E, all the trade routes running through your capitals will break. If you've designed your empire around T&E capitals but then need to leave the doctrine for any reason, you will need to tediously rework all your trade routes or your economy will collapse within a few watches. This is especially important if you have lots of high-TL planets. High TL planets are likely to go into civil war if there's any interruption to their consumer goods or trillum supply.
  • If you remove all labor from the "militia base" structure on a trade hub, the base will disappear you won't be able to build infantry on that world again until you redesignate it.
WTVd0's General Gameplay tips

Planet tips
  • Planetary defense structures appear to increase social order on worlds (decreasing the likelihood that they will go into civil war), even if the structures don't have any WUs allocated to them and aren't building units. You might as well build three kinds of defenses even if you don't intend to actually use any or all of them. Be sure to remove the default 5% labor allocation after the structures are built though, or your worlds' productivity will be hurt by having to build many different kinds of defense units.
  • If you capture a world with a big stockpile of some resource, it's safe to either set up trade routes that export more of the resource than the production structure is building, or to allocate most labor on the planet to defenses instead of production. Independent worlds will never generate resource surpluses, but independent planets that revolted from another player at some point will retain any resource stockpile that was already present. Different resources have varying attrition rates; hexacarbide does not undergo attrition at all and chtholon and trillum have very long half-lives. Don't forget which worlds are running deficits or you'll have problems a few days later once stockpiles run out.
  • Even if you aren't in the T&E doctrine, you can put resources in transports, take them to a Mesophon world, and sell the resources for aes. You can use the aes to buy more transports, freeing you to build more basic jumpships or jumpcruisers and fewer transports. Sell high-value resources like ship components to maximize your profits per trip. You can't buy from a Mesophon planet unless you have a fleet in orbit. You need to be able to get your jumptransports there somehow- either have a beacon near it, or convoy them with gunships.
Trade tips
  • Trade routes are one-way. If you want two planets to import from one another, use the "import from" button on both planets. Arrows indicate the direction of trade
  • Planets only export resources produced by their primary (designated) structure. Resources will only be exported if there is a demand for them; a jumpship autofac planet can't export anything to an aetherium processor planet, and a TL 5 jumpship autofac can't export anything to a TL 10 jumpship yard (which only uses high-TL components that the TL 5 autofac can't build).
  • You can't pass resources through more than two connected trade hubs.
  • Don't set connected trade hubs to import the same resource from one another; they may bug out and start swapping huge amounts for no reason.
  • Foundation TLs aren't passed through trade hubs. They must come directly from the foundation.
  • A planet that's importing a resource from multiple planets will continue to function if one of the supplying planets is captured; demand will be shifted to the remaining planets.
Unit tips
  • Units were recently rebalanced and nobody has found the best strategies to use with them yet. Test and report back!
  • TL9 Eldritch jumpships are the most versatile offensive unit (their combination of speed, firing range and missile protection makes them overpowered.)
    [*]TL9 Gorgos starfrigates are the strongest planetary defenders and are extremely cost-effective.
    [*]TL8 Helion explorers can be built in gigantic numbers- they're cheaper than Stingers- and a big fleet of them will keep defenders tied up if they're ordered to attack right before a Eldritch fleet arrives. This is a good way to destroy starfrigate fleets- attack with explorers first, then on the next turn have an Eldritch or Minotaur fleet arrive. The explorers will "distract" the starfrigates while the more valuable attackers go in for the kill.
    [*]There are other strategies, but the most successful players in previous betas have focused on building these three units almost exclusively. Transports can be bought from Mesophon or captured from other players; if you have to build a lot yourself, you've lost an opportunity to build more attack ships.
  • Click the planet button on the far right upper corner during combat to see the actual combat and issue commands.
  • Ship wings can get a bunch of first strikes against their target if their weapons have longer range than the target and can keep firing on it even after it moves out of retaliation range. Most ship weapons and planetary defenses have Range:10. Transports and explorers have range:2.5 or range:5. Stingers and Siriuses have range:5. Defiant- and Cyclops-class starfrigates, Victory- and Megathere-class starcruisers, Hypersonic missiles and battlestations have Range:20.The Gorgos-class starfrigate has range:30, the longest in the game.
  • BASIC JUMPSHIPS HAVE MISSILE PROTECTION. THEY INTERCEPT MISSILES! They are very good against anything that uses missiles, especially when used in large numbers. Starfrigates and high-TL starcruisers also have missile protection, but it's not as complete since capital ship fleets tend to be smaller and the missile defense beams aren't as strong.
  • Never mix transport types during a planetary invasion. Use ONLY Reliants or ONLY Warphants in an invasion. Have all your invading transports in the same fleet or your infantry won't all land at the same time and will take extra casualties.
  • Warphant transports cost a lot more than Reliants but have the same cargo capacity. However, they move faster and land faster.
  • Transports will be attacked by defending ships and long-ranged defense structures during invasions, so you might want to destroy all defenders before sending the transports to the planet as a separate fleet.
  • Transports have a capacity of 20 tons. All minerals and consumer goods weigh 1 ton per unit. Other resources weigh different amounts. Basic infantry and imperial guards weigh 20 tons, armored infantry weigh 30 tons and exotroops weigh 25 tons. They can still be transported in transports;apparently the units get split between multiple transports.
  • Armored infantry are a big improvement over basic infantry but need dedicated academy and autofac worlds. They are still worth producing ASAP since they will decrease the number of transports you need. Exotroops are even stronger and 5 tons lighter but need a lot of dedicated autofacs (3 or more) for every academy producing 100% exotroops.
  • Below TL 9, one autofac will fully supply an equivalent yard assigning 50% labor to Stingers and 50% labor to Adamants. To build 100% Eldritches, you also want a 1:1 ratio. Under the Fire & Movement doctrine, capitals and sector capitals build jumpships and can also build their own components rather than importing them, but capitals that build their own components will build fewer ships.
  • Gunships are vulnerable to missile-type planetary defenses and starfrigates (this needs further testing under the new system), but they're decent against basic jumpships and cannon-type defenses. They're much faster than starfrigates. Low-tech gunships (Sirius, Hammerhead) move 3 ly/watch and high-tech gunships (Minotaur, Cerberus) move 5 ly/watch.
  • Gunships and explorers are the only ships that don't need components to build.
  • Please test the newly rebalanced ships and report your results.
Defense tips
  • Please test the newly rebalanced defenses and report your results. Defenses have the same cost but are now much more damaging, long-ranged and heavily armored.
  • Jumpmissiles are most effective when fired at fleets that haven't reached planets yet. Fleets in orbit can intercept jumpmissiles if they include ship classes with missile protection (basic jumpships and starfrigates.) Each Partisan-class jumpmissiles fires 16 warheads that do 180 damage each.
  • Jumpmissiles seem to automatically fire against invading fleets. They can't be fired if their planet is outside of the control radius of an imperial or sector capital.
  • Jumpmissiles can still be used even if the planet that built them gets designated as something other than a citadel. They remain subject to attrition, though, so stockpiles on non-citadel worlds will shrink over time.
  • One effective defense strategy is to build both HEL cannons or autocannons and hypersonic missiles. The missiles do big damage to anything that isn't a jumpship and in order to destroy the missile silos most types of ships will have to close to within range of the cannons. Hypersonic missiles may also take out transports waiting in high orbit, so even if the attacker wins the space battle the invasion force will be weakened before ever hitting the ground.
  • For really big empires, it used to be impossible to build enough planetary defenses on any given planet to fend off an Eldritch or staggered Helion-Eldritch attack by a similar-sized empire. Important worlds could only realistically be defended by massed starfrigates AND hypersonic missiles together. This may no longer be the case
Empire and Doctrinetips
  • You can't send messages to another empire until you've found their capital. If they've sent you a message, it will reveal their capital no matter where it is.
  • In the Trade and Enterprise tab, the "import from" button for the capital is moved to the Structures tab.
  • Some empires are AI-run; these are sector capitals that defected from a player. (Mesophon is also an AI empire). AI empire names are some variation on the name of the empire they defected from, or they may instead be named after their capital planet. AI empires never do anything and are safe to attack (you will still get social order penalties if their imperial might is less than half yours, though.)
Last edited by Watch TV, Do Nothing on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 25 times in total.

Wayward Device
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Post by Wayward Device » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:34 pm

Ah Watch TV, as always you provide useful colour coded advice.

Just one observation so far: everything I have ever said about Gorgos Starfrigates is true. In the new galaxy Sanzu just sent 340,000~ Eldritch against my cap defended by a mere 5,000 Gorgos. They only killed 30,000~ Eldritch but they took out so many transports that Sanzu was unable to to beat my 17,000 Imperial Guard and had to retreat, leaving me to continue to savage their interior with my 200,000 Eldritch.

I've missed Anacreon.

Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Post by Xephyr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:44 pm

Wayward Device wrote: Just one observation so far: everything I have ever said about Gorgos Starfrigates is true. In the new galaxy Sanzu just sent 340,000~ Eldritch against my cap defended by a mere 5,000 Gorgos. They only killed 30,000~ Eldritch but they took out so many transports that Sanzu was unable to to beat my 17,000 Imperial Guard and had to retreat, leaving me to continue to savage their interior with my 200,000 Eldritch.
Now now, I didn't *have* to retreat... I did go in this with a plan, after all.

That said, I'm under this really strange bug where I can't seem to create new sector capitals - I'm not sure if it's really wise to continue a war effort at such a disatvantage... But don't worry, I'll give you a fireworks show either way.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. " -Julius Caesar as written by William Shakespeare, a notorious permadeath player.

Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Post by Finnian » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:44 pm

:shock: I am no more able to play this game! It's very hard!

I think I will build a beautiful small size empire and then I will stop..

I will prepare a lot of popcorn in order to see the wars between the great powers.
IN GEORGE WE TRUST

AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Post by AdmiralZo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:11 am

Finally, the remnants of the hoa004 fleet has arrived in this newly discovered galaxy! After months of rest, they are beginning to get to work. But the pilots have forgotten how to control their ships and the explorers can no longer read maps... :D

Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Post by Watch TV, Do Nothing » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Wayward Device wrote: Just one observation so far: everything I have ever said about Gorgos Starfrigates is true. In the new galaxy Sanzu just sent 340,000~ Eldritch against my cap defended by a mere 5,000 Gorgos. They only killed 30,000~ Eldritch but they took out so many transports that Sanzu was unable to to beat my 17,000 Imperial Guard and had to retreat, leaving me to continue to savage their interior with my 200,000 Eldritch.
Were you directly giving orders to the starfrigates? My understanding was that wings get targeted in alphabetical order, meaning that Eldritches should always be attacked before Reliants or Warphants so long as there are still Eldritch wings alive.

Unless there is some sort of priority override for transports?

Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Post by Finnian » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:52 pm

AdmiralZo wrote:Finally, the remnants of the hoa004 fleet has arrived in this newly discovered galaxy! After months of rest, they are beginning to get to work. But the pilots have forgotten how to control their ships and the explorers can no longer read maps... :D
Welcome back in the galaxy noble friend
IN GEORGE WE TRUST

AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Post by AdmiralZo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:29 am

Welcome back in the galaxy noble friend
Thank you! It's wonderful to see you all again. :D

Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Post by Finnian » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:48 pm

:| I ask myself what is happening in the galaxy, does someone knows?
IN GEORGE WE TRUST

AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Post by AdmiralZo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:32 am

:| I ask myself what is happening in the galaxy, does someone knows?
What's wrong?? I don't see anything strange in the galaxy... :?

Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Post by Finnian » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:59 pm

I am nostalgic about the Stargazer Bullettin
IN GEORGE WE TRUST

Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Post by Finnian » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:02 pm

:mrgreen: The Autocracy of Order Propaganda-News Bulletin is a Masterpiece!!
IN GEORGE WE TRUST

Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Post by Watch TV, Do Nothing » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:46 pm

Well, as Trinacria I had a pretty good war with the Autocracy. I'm dead, so it wasn't a very good war. I attacked opportunistically; I hadn't been planning to fight anybody but I saw that he had underdefended clusters right next door to me I swooped in with my Eldritches and took 'em out. I was counting on getting more Gorgos defections out of it, about 10k defected in all which is a pretty good haul for this stage of the game but they clearly weren't very old clusters. My plan had been to strike at one of his two remaining strong clusters using defected Gorgos but honestly that was kind of a fantasy because it relied on him remaining AFK for about 24 hours. I also ran out of exotroops fighting his imperial guards, I was not particularly impressed with my exotroops' performance against them.

I assume he knocked me out before my Gorgos reinforcements made it to my Capital- I hadn't garrisoned it properly because I hadn't been expecting a war- but I wouldn't rule out his Eldritches having blasted his way through 15,000 of them to get me. Wayward remains a formidable opponent in any galaxy!

Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Post by Finnian » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:29 pm

:shock: wow , I have lost the show cause I have not scouted the galaxy! What an incredible adventure! And I have missed it! Again! Again!
IN GEORGE WE TRUST