How can a trade empire mantain control?

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

is the number of planets or the number of capitals that make grow the risk of secession for a trader empire ?
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

ok, the answer was: there were too much capitals.
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Limit for non- L&O doctrines is two capitals (imperial capital + one sector capital) and 100 worlds, if you exceed both secession is inevitable.

You can have more than 2 capitals if you have less than 100 worlds.

OR

You can have >100 worlds as long as you never have more two capitals.

...but you can't have it both ways.

This is how University controlled 158 worlds under F&M- only two capitals, but the empire controlled almost every planet within range of those capitals.

You could actually have any number of planets without secession risk as long as you kept it to two capitals, but you wouldn't be able to issue orders to any planets outside a capital control radius.

In theory you could set up a cluster, let it stabilize to your liking, and redesignate the sector capital to something else, creating a "headless cluster". This would let you build a productive empire that is larger than your doctrine normally allows, and this empire would also be mostly immune to losing planets to defection during war. In practice this empire would be very brittle because it would take much too long to rebuild single planets you lose in war, and you would not be able to adjust trade routes, designations & production settings or issue jumpmissile firing commands in the headless clusters.

I don't know if non-L&O empires that suffer the no-capital bug are subject to secession if they go over one sector capital, I suspect that they are (and IDK if they can change doctrines to L&O either)
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Huh, that'll be something to try next time I get a few isolated worlds in a corner somewhere...
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:Limit for non- L&O doctrines is two capitals (imperial capital + one sector capital) and 100 worlds, if you exceed both secession is inevitable.

You can have more than 2 capitals if you have less than 100 worlds.

OR

You can have >100 worlds as long as you never have more two capitals.

...but you can't have it both ways.
The Rathari Empire has had 100+ worlds and 4 caps for half a week without any secessions, so is it just that you can't attack anone with <50 imperial might?
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Rathari has Law & Order doctrine.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Yeah, I just switched last night because I'm going to start soaking up some of the empty space down south, but I only had "low" risk of succession with 110 planets and 4 caps on the jumpship doctrine.