Testing help

General discussion for the game Anacreon
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I've made some bug fixes to the server and I'd like some help testing. I believe I've fixed all cases where conquering a world screws up. For example:

1. Conquering a capital and getting a double capital.
2. Conquering a sector capital and having it stay a sector capital.
3. Conquering a capital and leaving an empire without a capital.
4. Secession bugs which create empires with no capital.

Please test out various scenarios and let me know if you find any problems with worlds not being properly conquered.

If you find a bug, please post a response here with the following info:

1. The game you're playing (Alpha I, Beta I, Beta II).
2. The world in question (give the name; rename it to something unique, if possible)
3. The rough region position of the world in the galaxy (if you know it).

Thank you!

p.s.: To fix the bug, I've had to change some of the designation code. If you see bugs there (such as not being allowed to designate) then post those too.

See also: https://ministry.kronosaur.com/record.hexm?id=2192
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Thanks for this George! :D

I haven't tested anything yet, but I noticed the 'ghost' worlds in Beta II are still there.

Does anyone want to create an empire in Beta II so we can do some testing?

EDIT: Designations seem fine.
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Thank you!

I've made an empire in Beta 2 named "Commonwealth" with capital world of "St Katharine's Star" located in the far west at the very edge of the map. If I have time I'll try to conquer a few worlds and designate them as sector capitals and we can test a variety of scenarios.

Is anyone actively playing who can conquer the worlds I designate as capitals?

Edit: on further inspection it turns out it may be a bit difficult to conquer any of the surrounding worlds beyond TL5 with the starter fleet so I can't designate capitals right away. Seems I was too used to having 6 million plus jumpships :wink:

One more thing: what about conquering a sector capital in progress of being built i.e. within the 24 hour wait time? IIRC that results in having the SC retain its designation (sometimes).
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

@Imperator: Thanks for testing. I've given you some ships/troops to help your testing.

The ghost worlds are damage from previous bugs. I'm testing a build that fixes them, but haven't deployed it yet.

I'll look at conquering a sector capital in progress. I don't think that's fixed yet.

Thanks!
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Okay, cheers :D

I have 3 sector capitals now being built so feel free to cap them after tomorrow when they're finished.

Or cap one now to see if an in-progress one gets bugged.
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I've created several sector caps near your capital. They should be completed by 16.40 cycle 4294 anacreon time, so you might want to try taking them before that.
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It seems that the second capital bug is correctly fixed.

In this moment I think that there is an empire without capitals: the Klingon Empire
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Okay so it seems everything's working as expected (thanks George!)

"St Katherine's Star", now "Ares Homeworld" was taken by hoa004 and went independent as it should have. I had sector capitals named A to F The sector capital C was redesignated to be the new capital, followed by E and now B. So it seems the redesignation no longer works in alphabetical order (it definitely did when I played as Imperium, I tested that by inducing civil war on the main capital to see which sector cap would get redesignated). Is it random now or does it follow another algorithm e.g. closest distance to former capital, greatest number of space/ground forces etc?

Actually I was wondering if that was what caused the bug... when the Imperial Capital's name comes alphabetically after all sector capitals the game can't find a suitable world to redesignate as the new Imperial Capital?

UPDATE: Also, sector capitals in progress can be redesignated to the new Imperial Capital. Perhaps this shouldn't happen as the "local government" is still being set up on the sector cap?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

--Imperator-- wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:48 am
Is it random now or does it follow another algorithm e.g. closest distance to former capital, greatest number of space/ground forces etc?

Actually I was wondering if that was what caused the bug... when the Imperial Capital's name comes alphabetically after all sector capitals the game can't find a suitable world to redesignate as the new Imperial Capital?

UPDATE: Also, sector capitals in progress can be redesignated to the new Imperial Capital. Perhaps this shouldn't happen as the "local government" is still being set up on the sector cap?
The algorithm right now is whatever sector capital has the greatest military power, excluding any that are lower than biotech level. It also discounts post-industrial sector capitals and capitals with no trade routes.

The original bug failed to check to see if a sector capital was at least biotech. If it chose a more primitive sector capital, the code that re-designated to an imperial capital failed, because it wasn't biotech or above. The failure aborted the conquest code, and didn't run other code (such as re-designating the original capital to autonomous).

You make a good point about sector capitals in progress. I should either exclude those worlds or discount them so they're not chosen unless there is no other choice.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The empire "Zenobia" in the center of the galaxy in Beta II seems to have had the same thing that happened to Ontarion happen to it. No capital, all worlds bugged. This probably happened within the past 12 hours.
Last edited by Watch TV, Do Nothing on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Another potentially bugged empire found in Beta II, located in the north eastern corner of the map.

You can click on the worlds and see the stats as usual, but there is no sovereign name.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

A third bugged empire now, the Klingon empire in the galactic center was reported to be capital-less yesterday and today all its worlds are non-interactable.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:07 pm
A third bugged empire now, the Klingon empire in the galactic center was reported to be capital-less yesterday and today all its worlds are non-interactable.
Looks like a bug when an empire is completely destroyed (no new capital). I'll look into it.

Thanks!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I believe I've found and fixed the latest bug with ghost planets. Looks like capturing a capital still had bugs and left ghost worlds. This is now fixed on the server.