Era 3 feature/bug list

General discussion for the game Anacreon
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Here's the set of feature/bugs that I believe I can fix in Era 3--the current sprint: https://ministry.kronosaur.com/program. ... tive&tag=7

I can't guarantee that I'll actually fix all of these, but I can pretty much guarantee that I won't fix MORE than this.

If I'm missing any critical bug (more critical than one on this list), now's the time to speak up. I might be able to do a swap.
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

This would be perfect.

With regard to jumpship changes, are we still planning to nerf their stats as discussed in the ships thread or leaving them as is in lieu of jump beacons (which is a really cool idea!)

A few more quick things (if possible):

I've tried to list them in order of easiest to fix to hardest...

1. Can we make foundations a "major world" on the zoomed out map, like capitals, trade hubs, yards etc, as they're quite important? Right now they're not highlighted and their name doesn't show up at 150ly zoom so they look like minor resource worlds. Probably really quick changing a line or two in the code.

2. The "ffi" string shows up as a black box in the game interface.

3. Could we make ships pick targets more intelligently? If opportunity fire would be too difficult to code in this time frame perhaps at least select targets by space power instead of alphabetical order?

4. Will there be changes to doctrines or do we still go F&M --> L&O? (No worries if it's not a priority and can't be implemented this release though!)

... that's all I have off the top of my head. Might add more later. Thanks George!
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Imperator, I think further testing has shown that combat targets don't get picked alphabetically, but they are also not picked intelligently.

Speaking of names, the names on the map at the highest zoom level are capital names instead of empire names, which is fairly confusing.

I think a lot of people have been clamoring for some way to merge multiple fleets without transferring down to a planet and then deploying back out of it. A lot of this stems from the 1000-ship-per-transaction limit that Mesophon imposes.

Rebalancing ships is good but there are still a number of obnoxious combat exploits. In my personal opinion, re-implementing opportunity fire (this includes fire by transports, which don't use their weapons) and forcing ships to try to return to high orbit immediately when an attack is cancelled would address a lot of the current exploits that involve declaring and cancelling attacks and the strategy of breaking up fleets to generate large numbers of small wings.
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:07 am
re-implementing opportunity fire (this includes fire by transports, which don't use their weapons) and forcing ships to try to return to high orbit immediately when an attack is cancelled would address a lot of the current exploits that involve declaring and cancelling attacks and the strategy of breaking up fleets to generate large numbers of small wings.
Was opportunity fire implemented previously? What was the algorithm for selecting targets then? I have a suspicion transports not firing their weapons may be deliberate... as they're non combat units similar to explorers (which could also use a nerf). Additionally, if one has overwhelming numbers of transports and capture a world before all defending forces are eliminated the defenders actually join the opposing side. This unfortunately happened to me in a war with hoa004, although I didn't document it on the Ministry at the time.
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think a lot of people have been clamoring for some way to merge multiple fleets without transferring down to a planet and then deploying back out of it. A lot of this stems from the 1000-ship-per-transaction limit that Mesophon imposes.
Also +10000 to this!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

--Imperator-- wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:17 am
Also +10000 to this!
There's just never enough time. Doing this will cost 2-3 other bugs (UI is always takes longer); it didn't seem worth it to me, but if there's some consensus on what 3 other bugs to give up, I can give it a try.
starxplor
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

--Imperator-- wrote:
Also +10000 to this!
Hint: there is no 1000 ship transaction limit...
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:41 am
--Imperator-- wrote:
Also +10000 to this!
There's just never enough time. Doing this will cost 2-3 other bugs (UI is always takes longer); it didn't seem worth it to me, but if there's some consensus on what 3 other bugs to give up, I can give it a try.
I can't speak for others but I have never seen anyone else complain about the ruins issue, at least one person came out in favor of preventing ramjets from moving between nebula types, and unsplittable fleets have a workaround (sending slightly more transports than you need). Everything else in era 3 seems pretty major though.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

starxplor wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:51 am
--Imperator-- wrote:
Also +10000 to this!
Don't keep us in the dark: how do you buy more than 1000 ships at a time?
starxplor
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:29 pm
starxplor wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:51 am
--Imperator-- wrote:
Also +10000 to this!
Don't keep us in the dark: how do you buy more than 1000 ships at a time?
"POST /api/buyItem HTTP/1.1"