Restart happening?

General discussion for the game Anacreon
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Well that IS useful! Thanks Xephyr. And here I thought there wouldn't be a use for that Github account I made years ago to learn coding...

About WTV's changes to Core.ars, will a 10% allocation to building basic infantry really be a deterrent to invasion by a mature empire? I'd think of it as rounding up some free infantry as a bonus when marching over all those fresh Mesophon worlds with my exotroops :mrgreen: The most effective change so far was to allow Mesophon to keep the ships players sold to them in orbit. Let T&E players protect the Mesophon themselves by selling them ships as they'e the ones relying on them...

Since we can code proposed changes directly, is there away to implement some of the more intensive ones like increasing the sector capital/world defection limit for non L&O empires? Also another one, related to infantry, is their defection mechanics http://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8041, which I posted some time ago but didn't really get much feedback on it.

Also, is it too early in the morning or are the new costs for Mesophon ships not up yet? (sorry if I'm missing it)
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'm pretty sure that Mesophon retained sold ships in the Era2 era as well. At least, it isn't a very recent change.

Capital/world secession limits appear to be hardcoded at >2 capitals + > 100 worlds for all empires, with even L&O theoretically subject to secession above that limit. In practice secession is less likely for L&O because they get a base 90% secession chance reduction plus stacking adjustments from imperial guards, so in practice it almost never occurs but I believe that hypothetically it could still happen (I don't know what the secession equation is, however).

I believe that you could reduce (but not eliminate) the risk for other doctrines by including secessionAdj: { value:N op:factor } in their Trait declarations and/or by allowing them to build units with secessionAdj values (like my suggestion here, but this is just decreasing their risk of getting a secession event after hitting the threshold, not moving the threshold itself.

Infantry defection is also hardcoded, nothing in the libraries that I know of will change capture mechanics. I agree that there are big problems with infantry capture right now.

10% allocation to basic infantry is absolutely not a deterrent to mature empires, but it prevents new players and throwaway empires from steamrollering them and it makes T&E consistent with other doctrines in being able to build some form of infantry on capitals. To really keep Mesophon from getting annihilated like in Beta I there would need to be a mechanism either for Mesophon to obtain new hub worlds after game start or for them to retaliate against aggressors.
Last edited by Watch TV, Do Nothing on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Alright fair enough, no worries. Heh, I always liked the golden eagle Law & Order insignia for my capital anyway...

If we can't change the secession limits then probably just leave it as it is until doctrines are rebalanced sometime later (this year, hopefully). Faith & Destiny in particular sounds very interesting, that's the one I'd go for in future.

It is unfortunate that infantry defection is hardcoded, though, it doesn't make logical sense for an attacker to end up with more troops than they started out with. Imperial Guards in particular should definitely never surrender regardless of the odds.

Is the actual source code of Anacreon v3 available anywhere, not just the core files?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

--Imperator-- wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:12 am
Is the actual source code of Anacreon v3 available anywhere, not just the core files?
Unfortunately, no, its still closed-source.

I suspect this is probably for security reasons, like with the online interface for Transcendence.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Lazygun
Anarchist
Anarchist

In era 2, Mesophon wouldn't take delivery of fleets containing warships unless there were also transports present. And then they'd only pay for the transports.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

They did pay for nebular ramjet capships, the same ones they sold. So it was possible to buy and then immediately resell these ships to Mesophon, even on non-nebular planets.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'm not able to attend the stream tomorrow, if anyone is attending would they be willing to nudge George to consider the era3 pull request, adjust Mesophon values, start a new game, and explain the formula for attackValue? If there are concerns about server space/savefile accumulation/etc, I think it might be ok to close Alpha I since I don't believe there's active play going on there (please correct me if I'm wrong!)
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ya, no worries. Looks like he might consider starting a new game this week or next week. Apparently the Mesophon prices are automatically calculated based on power values or something as they're not in the Core Library. Probably okay to close Alpha to save server resources, or even instead of one huge galaxy we could have 2-3 smaller ones... but IDK.

Edit: Woke up late and only watched the last 10-15 min of the stream and the Q&A. Anyone else online know if he said anythign before that?